Just bought an SL55....Need some advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
interesting. I know the power delivery is very different between the cars, but you are the first I know of who prefers the 55k to the 63. It's that low down torque:bannana:

AMGeed said:
interesting. I know the power delivery is very different between the cars, but you are the first I know of who prefers the 55k to the 63. It's that low down torque:bannana:
On further reflection as a stand alone engine the 63 would be slightly better but as an overall package I prefer the SL55. Hard to know without a side by side comparison.

Thanks. I was going to change them but they have really grown on me so they are staying.

Power......This accidentally happened at the weekend

Ha! I can do that with my diesel but you have to take a picture as I go not after as the lines don't stay for long :eek::thumb:

Great cars, one litre for every 1000km would be within tolerances I would think. Mine is a 54 plate with 39k that has never asked for additional oil between services.

I had to replace boot struts a couple of years ago as the boot would fall on my head when it was open.

Haven't driven mine this year, but seeing this makes me want to take it out this week for a spin!

cheers

Car looks great JohnnyAMG and has all the right extra's on board.
Sorry the wheels are not my personal cup of tea, however its nice to see a rarer set of original wheels still on the car.
The Black paint work and the Red leather is a great combo.

Glad to see your getting the car back in to top notch condition.
Not sure i would agree the amount of oil the car is using is in tolerance however its a shame you don't know how much oil had been in the car to start with.
So lets hope the amount of oil you are topping up soon settles.

When looking for my SL so many had rust showing on the rear wheel arches so when you looking to get your paint work done this would be a good time to address this area especially if your looking to keep the car.
I done mine even though there was no sign of rust on mine.

Enjoy your car and hopefully we can see you at one of the groups meets.

Car looks great JohnnyAMG and has all the right extra's on board.
Sorry the wheels are not my personal cup of tea, however its nice to see a rarer set of original wheels still on the car.
The Black paint work and the Red leather is a great combo.

Glad to see your getting the car back in to top notch condition.
Not sure i would agree the amount of oil the car is using is in tolerance however its a shame you don't know how much oil had been in the car to start with.
So lets hope the amount of oil you are topping up soon settles.

When looking for my SL so many had rust showing on the rear wheel arches so when you looking to get your paint work done this would be a good time to address this area especially if your looking to keep the car.
I done mine even though there was no sign of rust on mine.

Enjoy your car and hopefully we can see you at one of the groups meets.

Thanks for the comments.

I initially wanted to find one with the Keyless entry/Start and ventilated seats but the Bose and Pano roof was more important to me. I had read stories of keyless entry running down the leisure battery while the ventilated seats are rarely used so I was happy to buy a car without them.

Yea, the wheels are a bit of a marmite thing and before buying the car I was 100% certain I would change them out but as mentioned above, they have grown on me. Maybe I will change them at some stage in the future but for now they do the job.

Just ordered the new C Pillar trim panel, rocker cover gaskets and a few other bits from MB. My plan to get the car in the best condition possible before the summer which I am slowly achieving.

I went around the car with a paint gauge at the weekend and I believe that MB factory paint is 7mm thick anything other than that has been resprayed. The one arch which I am problems with is the only one with 7mm paint thickness so I am guessing the 3 other arches have been done and are currently showing no signs of rust.

And that oil tolerance is listed in the manual…Read it myself last week. I think AMG are really covering themselves by stating 1L per 1,000km to avoid any warranty work and I will not be too happy if I car ends up burning that much oil but I guess I will find out in due course. My fingers are crossed on this one.

I plan to attend a few events this summer so hopefully I will get to meet some of you.

Not that's it a 55k, but ive had 2x C55's which is the M113 just in N/A form, and both have used oil.

I find it doesn't ask me to actually top up that often with warning, when it does it always says 1 litre. Ive done 11k miles in it since Novemeber 2015.

If I measure it myself or rather check it on the cluster, it varies, I find its pretty crap to be honest. It rarely says level is fine.

it doesn't produce any smoke and its got no leaks so the reading is ******** IMO.

Most manufacturers will state 1 litre per 1000km is within tolerance, so probably nothing to worry about.

cheers

Changed the C-Pillar trim on the passenger side.

Another job off the list.

Attachments

• image-3070075217.jpg
    image-3070075217.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 39
  • image-2744753833.jpg
    image-2744753833.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 37
Changed the C-Pillar trim on the passenger side.

Another job off the list.

Do you have a "How to" on that Johnny. My drivers side one looks like 1/2 of the laquer has lifted and needs changing. I understand it's just the plastic and can be changed. Also, how much was it?
Ta.

Do you have a "How to" on that Johnny. My drivers side one looks like 1/2 of the laquer has lifted and needs changing. I understand it's just the plastic and can be changed. Also, how much was it?
Ta.

Its a simply enough job that takes no more than 10 mins. They are easy to get off but a little fiddly to get back on. Just make sure you get all the tabs lined up before you slide it upwards.

I ordered the replacement part from MB Newcsatle. I find they are the cheapest when it comes to parts and free postage. (5lt of oil MB Brentford - £89.70. £25 in MB Newcastle delivered to my door)

I think the panel was £58.

My drives side one was "ok" but now the shiny new passenger side means I am going to replace it also.

Here is some online info with pics.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/1596237-how-remove-plastic-trim-c-pillar.html

Highlands Trip

Just back from a 1,700 mile trip around the highlands in the SL55.

Amazing trip. loved every minute.
IMG_1340_zpsnoobvezd.jpg

IMG_1292_zpsi3dcdzmp.jpg

IMG_1295_zpsucxxygcw.jpg

IMG_1327_zps4e54wynd.jpg

You definitely need the AMG 1V 2 PC wheels I have for sale :thumb:

C43AMG said:
You definitely need the AMG 1V 2 PC wheels I have for sale :thumb:

I want the alloys but not the tyres....

PM sent .

flowrider99 said:
And people say that the R230 can not be relied on to get you home on a road trip.

Looks like we have some non believers. What could possibly go wrong with an R230 apart from SBC,ABC, leaky vario Roof, intercooler pump, complex electronics, gearbox, sticky glove boxes, etc etc

Dreaded Roof seals

So one thing was clear after Scotland. The roof seals leaked.......like a sieve. I was well prepared and had two large super absorbent towels with me to catch any ingress but it clear I had to tackle the job ASAP.

So I stripped out the rear window seal and it was obvious the adhesive strip that MB used had failed.
IMG_1370_zpsdrzrep2j.jpg

IMG_1375_zpsbt5ydpub.jpg

As you can see it gets caked with dirt over time and looses all adhesion. However its still stuck to the rubber seal and its a PITA to remove it all. Heat gun, paint scraper and white spirit got it all off.
So I striped the frame and the seal down and got ready paint and glue back together.
IMG_1380_zpstusbxanm.jpg

IMG_1372_zpscdfrx1ps.jpg

IMG_1378_zps9jw5rhxk.jpg

I even gave the nuts a fresh coat of paint.
IMG_1376_zpsisjhsxwm.jpg

All done.
IMG_1383_zpsquh4ac8q.jpg

Last edited:
For better adhesion, preheat the self adhesive tape with a heat gun (and clean the other surface with alcohol) :rock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom