Just bought another iconic German car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiff

Car
2001 SLK 230.
Yep, Another Teutonic vehicle has made its way into my ownership.A car so intertwined with German history and culture,

Its a ....

TRABANT! :bannana:

Its blue and broken, but will keep me busy over the winter- hopefully it'll be at a GTG next year! More breaking news as it arrives..

Just make sure you don't go out in it in the Wet weather.:D :rolleyes:

Or the dark!! I remember almost ramming these things off the road in East Germany. The tail lights are so poor they are a joke. Infact thinking back the tail lights where hidden in a cloud of smoke most of the time!!

I love the smell of two stroke :)

The simplicity is even better!!! And the lightweight.....

Back when GP bikes were 2-strokes, their riders referred to 4-strokes as Diesels! And that was when Diesels really were horrible, noisy, gutless, and overweight.

I struggle to believe that 2-strokes are still ignored when 4-strokes are already ridiculously over complicated.
The emissions issue is all but licked, transmissions are available that would suit them, the ring wear issue would be no worse than many replacements (turbo) often required within the lifetime of a 4-stroke and could be made a service item and or completely solved (as was the apex seal on a rotary) and the lightweight would bestow handling benefits beginning with reduced levels of PAS.
Viewed in the round considering the reduced material and build impact, and the ultimate disposal, absolutely, pingers are 'green'!
But no, we are going electric....

Last edited:
Well, the siezed engine has been rebuilt completely, using a full engine gasket set sent from the former DDR, for the total sum of £7.40.An engine with 5 moving parts has its plus points :) It has excellent compression and should be back in the car and running early next week...

Tailights are working 12v 10w same as most other cars, and the wipers are fixed.. the east German remould winter tyres are a bit more worrying!!

Remember the DDR were at the forefront of two stroke technology, until the Japs nicked all their superior knowledge :)

Last edited:
Remember the DDR were at the forefront of two stroke technology, until the Japs nicked all their superior knowledge :)

At least the Japanese GP this weekend gives a nod to that. Not one but TWO Degner curves at Suzaka!

Considering all the development the 4-stroke has had over more than a century the 2-stroke shouldn't still exist. All it's really had is some puffed up tin-work for exhausts and a couple of companies applying direct fuel injection. But yet it is still here, and in some domains is invincible.

Good to hear your Trabant is coming along.

Had a while in the garage this afternoon, and the Trabbie now runs backwards and forwards, starts and stops when asked and all the electrics operate as they should.All panels are attatched properly and open and close too.. Now I've got it running correctly, it sounds great, with the usual two stroke popping at idle, but gives a nice zing when revved. Not even that smokey! I've even got started on some painting. Hopefully should be on the road for the spring:bannana:

But yet it is still here, and in some domains is invincible.

Indeed, most large marine diesels and locomotive diesels are two strokes.

Yup, although mine is a little smaller :rolleyes: :D

Some pics from todays pottering..

31122010042.jpg

31122010043.jpg

31122010044.jpg

Nice project....Is the paddock stand there to jack it up on? :)

Nice project....Is the paddock stand there to jack it up on? :)

Yup- worked a treat when the engine was out!

Is the big light to make it grow ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom