Just collected my C63 AMG-steering wobble?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

indus

Car
c63 AMG estate
Hi there

I've just collected my 2013 C63 AMG estate. First impressions are very good, apart from the fact I think there is a hole in the fuel tank:D

Anyway, one thing I did notice is that the steering wheel wobbles/vibrates quite a bit at motorway speeds. It does vary depending on the quality of the road surface and becomes more pronounced the faster I go.

I've owned some performance cars (AMG, M cars etc) in the past but my most recent car was a bit of a luxo barge. So I'm not sure if this is a real issue or whether it's just feels that way because I'm coming from such a different kind of car.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks

(By the way, that auto gearbox must be one of the best in the world, it is SO responsive)

Get the car inspected at your local dealer, as above there should be no wobble present at all.

Either balancing, wheel alignment, tyres not round or bent alloy.

Sorry, can't narrow it down further!

Mine had the same issues when I collected it. Wheel needed balancing due to very slight alignment issue. Thye investigated the hole in the fuel tank but couldn't find any issues. Just passed 8000 miles and the engine just keeps sounding better and better.

Steering has a lot of "feel" compared to other cars I've had, but no wobble.

I asked about the hole in the tank.... ACID@MSL can make the hole bigger for you for a small amount of money. I think Lee63 has the filler diverted directly to the drain on his.

Thanks for the input guys. Yes the steering does have a lot of feel which is very very welcome after the completely inert steering of my previous car. However there is a definite wobble/vibration at high speeds, I'll get it checked out.

My car is second hand but has only done 2000 miles. Should I be going easy with the engine or can I cane it?

I think the hole in the tank has mended itself as I've just popped out and checked and the fuel gauge hasn't moved over night.

It will be balancing....do you have the 19" multispokes? I got told they are a pain to balance. had mine done 3 times until they got it right.....

Def90 Acid has enlarged the whole in my tank significantly ha ha....and also also does this magic trick where he can empty my wallet really quickly :)

Hi Lee

Yes I have the 19 inch wheels. I'll get them looked at.

Thanks

Hi Lee

Yes I have the 19 inch wheels. I'll get them looked at.

Thanks
get the wheels checked. I brought my c63 used but in pristine condition, PP obviously with the 19's. Wheels looked mint with no curbs but noticed a couple had loads of weights on. A few months later I took the wheels off and sure enough, 2 had been repaired and one had a crack. All 4 was holding air but on a car like this I didn't wanna risk it.

While searching the net trying to find a reasonably priced set of originals it become clear that this was a on going problem with the oem rims. Mine is currently on a set of rep 19's and have been for the past year or so with no probs.

Thanks. I bought mine from a main dealer who is very far from me. However I'm assuming this is something I can expect my local dealer to sort out free of charge?

It'll likely be balancing and the problem is, so few places do it right or have correctly calibrated machines, and large wheels exacerbates the problem as they need the weights to be perfect. I've had cars where I've tried 3-4 different places with no luck....until I found out about 'Road Force' balancing.

Basically, try and find yourself a place with a Hunter Road Force balancing machine - it does things like telling the fitter the optimum way to fit the tyre so the heavy point of the wheel (where the valve is) matches the light point of the tyre (could be anywhere) - this means the wheel is less reliant on weights as it's inherently better balanced. Then it balances the tyre under load, so it mimics driving (unlike normal balancing which mimics the car being airborne!).

My SLS wheels wobbled annoyingly at around 80-90 and I had them road force balanced yesterday - it's now perfect.

Not sure where you're based but the places that I know have such a machine in the Midlands are Tyres Northampton and ETS Tyres, Alfreton Road, Derby.

ETA - this site will tell you your local Road Force balancing centre http://www.balancemycar.co.uk

Last edited:
There's one in Birmingham too:
Birmingham Motor Tyres

Get the fitter to spin the wheel by hand on the jig, and check the inner edge of the wheel for a buckle - it's common with our poor roads/large alloys.

My SLS wheels wobbled annoyingly at around 80-90 and I had them road force balanced yesterday - it's now perfect.

Not sure where you're based but the places that I know have such a machine in the Midlands are Tyres Northampton and ETS Tyres, Alfreton Road, Derby.

ETA - this site will tell you your local Road Force balancing centre Balance My Car | Road Force Balancing | Hunter Wheel Balancing

Was it ETS that you used?

Yes, but equally I've used Tyres Northampton too (until I realised ETS existed).

ETS didn't remove and refit the tyres (maybe not needed), Tyres Northampton are more thorough so typically do. However, ETS were £10/wheel, Tyres Northampton £20/wheel!

Yes, but equally I've used Tyres Northampton too (until I realised ETS existed).

ETS didn't remove and refit the tyres (maybe not needed), Tyres Northampton are more thorough so typically do. However, ETS were £10/wheel, Tyres Northampton £20/wheel!

I'm probably equal distance from Birmingham Tyres and Northampton Tyres, but your report on Northampton Tyres above makes me think they are the guys to use? I've covered 5k now so rear tyres must be due to be changed soon ;)

It'll likely be balancing and the problem is, so few places do it right or have correctly calibrated machines, and large wheels exacerbates the problem as they need the weights to be perfect. I've had cars where I've tried 3-4 different places with no luck....until I found out about 'Road Force' balancing.

Basically, try and find yourself a place with a Hunter Road Force balancing machine - it does things like telling the fitter the optimum way to fit the tyre so the heavy point of the wheel (where the valve is) matches the light point of the tyre (could be anywhere) - this means the wheel is less reliant on weights as it's inherently better balanced. Then it balances the tyre under load, so it mimics driving (unlike normal balancing which mimics the car being airborne!).

ETA - this site will tell you your local Road Force balancing centre Balance My Car | Road Force Balancing | Hunter Wheel Balancing

Thanks Andrew. I've found a local garage that has the equipment you mentioned. I just feel a bit miffed that the MB AMG centre I bought the vehicle from didn't pick up the issue and resolve it.

Also as somebody mentioned that if one of the wheels is buckled such that the vibration can't be resolved by balancing I'd be expecting the dealer to cough up for it.

I had same issue with my 19s and MB didn't spot it but I guess they don't drive all cars at 70mph before resale.

Got mine balanced at a local tyre fitter and all good. Again, surprised by the multiple suggestions re Hunter. Surely these cars aren't that special, or does it just make us feel good travelling miles for a wheel balance or wheel alignment?

All Bentley dealers have a the machine you need, it's a mandatory tool as part of their dealer standards. They call it 'harmonic wheel balancing'. Common problem on the Continental GTs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom