Just completed 1500 miles on my bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
In the last week of May 2009 I decided to try out commuting by bike. On the way home last night my trip computer hit 1500 miles. I was determined to see it click over so was watching it like a hawk and trying not to crash (that would have been ironic....).

Anyway, that equates to 100 commutes so I am very pleased. Needless to say I stopped at the very next pub I saw to have a celebratory pint which didn't touch the sides.

I've cycled all year round through all weathers and found it really good fun. I think that more than makes up for my V8 habit :)

Are there any other cyclists on the forum?

Last edited:
and you now have the additional free benefits, like, weight loss, greater fitness etc etc.

Good example - but be very careful - that London traffic is dangerous for cyclists.

I admire your commitment! I cycled into work every possible day for six months and I lost over 20lbs but in the end decided it wasn't a matter of if I was knocked off, it was when.

Are there any other cyclists on the forum?

Yes :) When I work at one customer's site only 2 miles away I cycle to work. It takes roughly the same time as driving, so makes perfect sense. Plus it gives me the flexibility to have a few beers post work.

Another customer is only 10 miles away, but that's on a busy and fast road, so I'm not so sure I'll try that.

I would have loved to have done this when I lived in London.. would have been my work out done at the same time..
the only reason I went for a scooter instead was the fact that I would be covered in sweat before I even sat at my desk.. Yes we had showers but it seemed an awful faff to have to have to pack clothes, towel etc etc then have a shower, then take all the sweaty clothes home etc..

and you now have the additional free benefits, like, weight loss, greater fitness etc etc.

Good example - but be very careful - that London traffic is dangerous for cyclists.

Well I haven't lost much weight - but I haven't put any on....I'm at that stage in life. But I've swapped fat for muscle which is goodness and it's improved my cardio fitness.

Yes the traffic is dangerous but I ride defensively so always have an emergency plan if the car/van/bus/taxi/cyclist/pedestrian does something unexpected.

My real fear is the car door opening in front of me - there's nothing you can do about that one........

I admire your commitment! I cycled into work every possible day for six months and I lost over 20lbs but in the end decided it wasn't a matter of if I was knocked off, it was when.

Well I've managed 12 months and 1500 miles and I can honestly say I haven't had any major scares yet, which surprises me.

It doesn't mean I'm relaxed though - it's a bit Wild West out there.....

I would have loved to have done this when I lived in London.. would have been my work out done at the same time..
the only reason I went for a scooter instead was the fact that I would be covered in sweat before I even sat at my desk.. Yes we had showers but it seemed an awful faff to have to have to pack clothes, towel etc etc then have a shower, then take all the sweaty clothes home etc..

Well the company I work for provides lockers so I keep a suit/shoes/shirts etc there. It's a bit of a faff but still quicker door to desk than the tube. And I now find the tube BORING and SLOW :)

I used to cycle in to the office in London nearly every day, 12 months a year.

My original route went through my local park, onto a canal towpath and dropped me almost straight into central central London (when I was working near Holborn).

Subsequently moved offices to the southbank and had the same deal - park, canal, then river Thames then office - hardly any road!

Had everything organised in terms of suit / shoes at work and carried a fresh shirt and what not in a pannier bag on the bike - had a 5 minute shower when I arrived.

Brilliant feeling to not pay a fiver a day to be squashed on the underground, shorten my commute time, cycle through interesting areas that you would never normally see and get a free workout in the process. Also sunbathing on the way home if it was nice and listening to the traffic reports on the radio was incredibly theraputic!

Now I am travelling a lot more for work and really really miss this! Managed to cycle in about twice this year :'(

Must get out on the weekends more - maybe there would be a call for a MB club cycling GTG?!

Last edited:
Brilliant feeling to not pay a fiver a day to be squashed on the underground

Yup

shorten my commute time,

Agree

cycle through interesting areas that you would never normally see

Yeah I love this aspect

and get a free workout in the process.

Absolutely! This is what made me take it up in the first place

Also sunbathing on the way home if it was nice

Well I don't sunbathe per se but I enjoy being out in the sun

and listening to the traffic reports on the radio was incredibly theraputic!

Yeah - and as for the impending Tube strikes........so what?

A mate of mine got pulled by the police whilst cycling home from the pub after quite a few pints and got quite a big fine.

I didn't know that it was illegal to ride a bicycle whilst under the influence.

I wonder if the police breathalyse you?

A mate of mine got pulled by the police whilst cycling home from the pub after quite a few pints and got quite a big fine.

I didn't know that it was illegal to ride a bicycle whilst under the influence.

I wonder if the police breathalyse you?

I've no idea but it's not a very good combo. After two pints my finer judgement starts to drop off and I start making mistakes that are a little alarming.

Of course the obvious thing to do is cycle slowly and carefully but beer has rather the opposite effect on me.....

Good effort,

I've also started to the offset the V8 via the bike. Although i have to admit that its not down to any environmental ethos. After six years i simply can't face the tube or buses on a weekday.

Only been commuting for 2 weeks though, sods law i had a puncture on my 2nd day so i now know that these tyre weld kits are a total waste of time.

Otherwise all good, now 25 mins each way as opposed to an hour. Feel as bright as a button when i arrive in the mornings and the run home is great for getting rid of some stress.

Just have to be careful, as you said it can get a bit wild, especially on the run home. Pedestrians have been the worst so far......

Nice one Londonscottish - I'm about to buy a bike myself.

What model did you get for your commute ?
I only have a £300 ish budget, trying to get something I can live with for a similiar 15 mile round trip commute.

Nice one Londonscottish - I'm about to buy a bike myself.

What model did you get for your commute ?
I only have a £300 ish budget, trying to get something I can live with for a similiar 15 mile round trip commute.

I bought this:

Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7.1 FX

V happy with it so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom