Just curious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

meoldbangar

Car
C180 W202
Just wondered why some de-badge their cars

Its just my car didn't have a the C180 badge when I bought it

Cheers

If you want one, I have a spare which 'fell off' mine........

Only joking, for some reason they'd stuck a C220 badge on mine!:dk:

Lots of threads on this.

1. To hide the fact it has a small engine
or
2. To hide the fact it has a big engine
or
3. To make the boot/tailgate look less cluttered

Lots of threads on this.

1. To hide the fact it has a small engine
or
2. To hide the fact it has a big engine
or
3. To make the boot/tailgate look less cluttered

Good point
On the motorway they tend to shy away from my C180

I hate de badged cars.
When I'm writing my invoices and pop me head round the corner to have a looky at what engine size it is!!!!!!! C180/ C200 owners are usually the worst for it

Is is done to smooth the lines of the car out. If you look at any moddified, custom or hot rod, you won't see a badge in site. In this part of the petrol head culture, they take it further by smoothing out (frenching) the bodywork as the lines of the car become all important, so the badges and other unnecessary stuff to the bodywork have to come off. It doesn't really have anything to do with hiding what the car is as youngsters who pretend they have something they don't stick the badges off of there cars performance model.
I have a 1963 Consul Capri (custom job) that is frenched i.e. de-badged, anrenna recessed into wing, wing mirrors taken off, with peep mirrors on the 1/4 glass, boot lock taken off, door handles coming off etc.

Is is done to smooth the lines of the car out. .

Really? On the boot lid? The three pointed star that's left on, to show it's a Mercedes, is OK then?

Sorry, but even for one-off jobbies, which I dont think the OP was considering, most of the time it's a styling issue. I agree you won't see many badges on such cars, but say for a T-bucket rod, surely smooth aerodynamics aren't the prime aim.....

But see my sig

Is is done to smooth the lines of the car out. If you look at any moddified, custom or hot rod, you won't see a badge in site. In this part of the petrol head culture, they take it further by smoothing out (frenching) the bodywork as the lines of the car become all important, so the badges and other unnecessary stuff to the bodywork have to come off. It doesn't really have anything to do with hiding what the car is as youngsters who pretend they have something they don't stick the badges off of there cars performance model.
I have a 1963 Consul Capri (custom job) that is frenched i.e. de-badged, anrenna recessed into wing, wing mirrors taken off, with peep mirrors on the 1/4 glass, boot lock taken off, door handles coming off etc.

Pics of the Capri please!

Tony.

Some come without badges from new,I think it does look cleaner though.

I debadged my E220 coupe as it made the rear end look nicer.

I'd have also debadged it if it was an E63.

Really? On the boot lid? The three pointed star that's left on, to show it's a Mercedes, is OK then?

Sorry, but even for one-off jobbies, which I dont think the OP was considering, most of the time it's a styling issue. I agree you won't see many badges on such cars, but say for a T-bucket rod, surely smooth aerodynamics aren't the prime aim.....

But see my sig

Styling issue, frenching, is their much difference. Just advising where the origins of debadging comes from, and why most people de-badge there cars. As you say smooth aerodynamics hasn't anything to do with it, unless your trying to take a hundredth of a second off your run down the strip. It is the lines of the car that you want to emphasise, and badges and other stick on things distract from the cars lines, so off they must come.

Consul Capri

Its currently down to bear metal for a custom paint job. Will post after pictures on another post.

capri-5.jpg

nickconsul05.jpg

Drive Inn Movie.jpeg

Very nice.

Many years ago there was a guy on the street next to mine who had an immaculate low mileage Consul Capri laid up in his locked garage as a bit of an investment. A passing learner driver lost control of her car - it went down his drive, right through the garage doors, and totalled it!

According to the MB website, debadging is a no-cost option on some models

It's a no-cost option on all standard models at least. I do believe it applies to the AMG cars as well.
The star however is not an option since it has holes behind it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom