Just discovered "winter tyres" ? Do any of you swap tyres each year ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigJon

Car
E55 AMG
I got a bald rear tyre, on my '03 E55 AMG, and thought I'd look online to buy some rubber, rather then just get it done at KwikFit...

Looking on etyres, mytyres, etc ... They have lots of options asking if I want "winter tyres". Never thought of this before. Reading on the web I understand they have better snow/ice grip. I assume better grip in the wet too.

I'm tempted, as I live in the country and we get lots of flooded roads, standing water, etc.

I assume however, though, when spring arrives, I either take them off and keep them until next year, or they will just wear like buggery in dry conditions ?

I also have read that they recommend you fit all 4 winter tyres ? That’s not a lot of change from £800 !? If I was going to do this, what would you all recommend ? I currently have Continental Sport Contact 2. I was considering Pirelli or Michelin ?

Do a lot of you on here have 2 sets of tyres ?

Even more garage space required ... :-(

Thanks.

Jon.

I put mine on yesterday, Vredestein Wintrac Extremes on spare wheels which I bought from e-bay for £350, brand new.

Having tried them, I would not go back to running summer tyres through the winter again. Usually change them in December & again at end of Feb or March depending on weather outlook.

Russ

I have a set of winter tyres... search around the forum, I had a fairly extensive thread comparing winter tyres to snow chains and snow-socks a while ago. I ended up finding a website run by the Austrian (or some germanic) government, comparing winter tyres.

I bought the tyres I have now as they were rated at the top of their list at the time, and have never regretted it. It cost me around £300 for a full set of tyres, and I picked up an alloy-wheel-set on eBay for £50 (albeit with really worn tyres). Add to that the fitting/balancing cost (£20/£40-ish)

Now, come summer I just take off the winter rims and fit the summer rims, and vice-versa; I change all 4 tyres.

As for water-grip, I'm not sure... I think the grip in the wet will be roughly the same, as winter tyres tend to be stiffer.

I'll try finding the site...
M.

EDIT: This was the thread:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=31775
and this the site:
http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_seiten/reifentests/195_65_15_T_winter2005/gesamt_195.html
(google translate version here:)
http://translate.google.com/transla...en&lr=&safe=off&rls=GGLR,GGLR:2006-04,GGLR:en

M.

EDIT2: And here is their 2008 test:
http://66.102.9.104/translate_c?hl=...ive=15&usg=ALkJrhjJjz2lN1fp6tybvcrkyIaNkQgnEQ

click on the links on the side (dependent on tyre size).

M.

Last edited:
Put my winter wheels / tyres on last weekend. Have two sets of wheels. Bought second set of e-bay.

Same tyres as RF065, Vredestein Wintrac Extremes.

Winter tyes are better than summer tyres, reportedly, at 7 degrees or below due to different compound whether its snowy or not.

Difference with snow on the ground is quite noticeable.

Living as I do in the south of England I’m not completely convinced I’d bother if I didn’t spend some time in southern Germany during the winter months.

As far as cost goes you can only wear out one set at a time so the summer tyres don’t get any wear over winter. Wear rate might be worse on the winter tyres but if it is it I haven’t noticed it, so its not too bad.

Winter tyres are mandatory in some parts of Europe, where conditions are worse than we get here. For most of the UK I'm not convinced they are necessary. I've just driven back from the Southern GTG in very cold and wet conditions without any traction/grip issues at all (on 'normal' tyres). But if you have the space/time/money/inclination to keep 2 sets of wheels/tyres and swap them over twice a year then go for it. We will probably have to get them for the Vito as we're planning to drive over to the in-laws (southern Germany) in February, where winter tyres are required ... even for visitors.

Take a look at your car’s manual to see what size winter tyres are recommended.

Summer tyres for my car are 275 55 19 and the recommended winter size is 265 55 19.

Also be aware that winter tyres might only be available with a lower speed rating. My winter tyres are H (210 kph, about 130mph) rated whereas the summer tyres are V (240 kph, about 150mph) rated.

I ran my last set of Pirelli SnowSports for 45k miles during all seasons with no problems, changed them about 18 months ago and the current set are wearing nicely.

Unless I find some pretty wheels for summer that I could justify buying then I'll probably be running winters all year round.

I thought everyone switched to winter tyres, at least we do that here! Running stock 15" Merc rims with 185/65/15 Continental studless winter tyres. Because I'm living smack in the middle of Trondheim there's an extra fee (to the authorities) if I want to fit studded tyres, apparently because of added dust pollution. :eek: If it hadn't been for that I'd have gone with studded for sure, on the icy roads we have here we need all the grip we can have!

Found a link about it in English:
Clean air in the city!

Last edited:
As for water-grip, I'm not sure... I think the grip in the wet will be roughly the same, as winter tyres tend to be stiffer.

I'll try finding the site...
M.

The modern "cold weather tyres" have a lot more grip in wet conditions and are more resistant to aquaplaning too. This is a good site for more info....

http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-4x4-van/driving-winter/20070319171417.html

Braking distance on a wet road from 50mph,
at a temperature below 7°C
Summer tyre : 40 m - Cold Weather tyre : 34 m
It takes a summer tyre an extra 6m to stop you

Russ

Last edited:
I was thinking of getting winter tyres, but in the end decided it really wasn't worth it. But I did get a quote from these people:

Tyreco Trading Co. Ltd.
Unit 7 Hackhurst Lane
Hackhurst Industrial Estate
Hailsham
East Sussex
BN27 4BR

Tel: 01323-844600

for some 17" winter tyres, these: http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10360785&group=1.01&name=Nokian+W

for £35.00 each plus VAT

Cheers, Bill.

I thought everyone switched to winter tyres, at least we do that here!

We're not civilised enough in the UK to take bad weather seriously

As rf065 said, modern winter tyres are very different to those of a few years ago. Now they use high-silica compounds to offer better grip at lower temperatures and they don't fall apart at the first sight of dry tarmac

I think they're a good idea if you live in an area that sees snowfall. There's not much demand for them in Brighton

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Just today I took the 18" off and put on 16" with Hankook icebear's.

They work out at £60 each so no point in wearing out the more expensive pirelli's when there is no benefit.

The car does look a bit lost with the smaller wheels but there you go....

It'll also give me a chance to refurb AMG's if I can get the right paint.

Personally, living in Surrey I can't see the point of winter tyres, we just don't get the extremes of weather that would warrent them imo..

Personally, living in Surrey I can't see the point of winter tyres, we just don't get the extremes of weather that would warrent them imo..

Typically british response.
The average temp in the UK between Dec & March is only 3.6C.
"Cold Weather Tyres" are designed for temperatures below 7C.
You don't need snow or ice, they grip better on cold roads, wet or dry, they reduce your braking distances dramatically. If you do see snow or ice, you will not get stuck or bring the roads to a standstill as we see on TV every winter when the south gets half an inch of snow and everything grinds to a halt because no one is prepared for it.

Russ

Typically british response.
The average temp in the UK between Dec & March is only 3.6C.
"Cold Weather Tyres" are designed for temperatures below 7C.
You don't need snow or ice, they grip better on cold roads, wet or dry, they reduce your braking distances dramatically. If you do see snow or ice, you will not get stuck or bring the roads to a standstill as we see on TV every winter when the south gets half an inch of snow and everything grinds to a halt because no one is prepared for it.

Russ

But the problem could be you have the tyres and stop just fine and the person behind you does not so gently plows into you because of his greater stopping distance! Also, you wont be going aywhere as everyone else with out the tyres will be blocking the roads!

Dont get me wrong; having lived in Southern Germany for a few years I am well aware of just how much better the winter tyres are.

But the problem could be you have the tyres and stop just fine and the person behind you does not so gently plows into you because of his greater stopping distance! Also, you wont be going aywhere as everyone else with out the tyres will be blocking the roads!

Dont get me wrong; having lived in Southern Germany for a few years I am well aware of just how much better the winter tyres are.

Which is why cold-weather/winter tyres are compulsory in most of the civilised world...

Alternatively, why don't we all go around on steel-tyres? They will never wear out, and as long as everyone uses them, you wont plow into anyone as the person in front of you wont stop either... You might both kill someone that crosses the road, as you might hit something that isn't moving, or might lose traction trying to avoid a fox... but hey, as long as the back of your car is intact...
</rant>

M.

When i lived in the North East some years ago we used to have a spare set of wheels and tyres for my Wifes car (snow tyres with studs in) and fitted them when the snow arrived. Main problem was the noise when the roads had been cleared prior to the next heavy snow fall.

I was highlighting the irony of doing the right thing.

Unless it becomes compulsory not many people will bother in the UK, they are too apathetic.

As I understood it in Germany it was not compulsory, rather it is advisory and if you dont have winter tyres on Plod and the insurance companies blame you. So the real stick is a financial one (quite apart from personal safety issues for you and your family etc)

I was highlighting the irony of doing the right thing.

Unless it becomes compulsory not many people will bother in the UK, they are too apathetic.

Too many people are still under the illusion that they are only a benefit if you live in a country that has 6 feet of snow, 6 months of the year.

I don't think they will ever be accepted in the UK until someone decides that maybe 75% of accidents between December & March could have been avoided if the vehicles involved had "cold weather tyres" on.

Until the insurance companies offer reduced premiums for fitting them or the government decides a road safety campaign should encourage their use, then only the enlightened few in the UK will continue to use them. One thing that is certain though, once you have used them, you are in no doubt of their benefits & would not use summer tyres in winter again.

Russ

I don't think they will ever be accepted in the UK until someone decides that maybe 75% of accidents between December & March could have been avoided if the vehicles involved had "cold weather tyres" on.

That would never be the case though, certainly in the south of the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom