Just flown an r/c plane in my living room

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
Well after 33 years of flying r/c, what would have been science fiction only a few years ago just came true - I've been flying a plane in my living room (which is a very average size ... we don't live in a barn conversion or anything!).

Take off from the floor or sofa, cruise around, and land safely. It's a bit tight, but quite do-able when there's too much breeze to fly it on the drive or in the back garden.

This is a proper r/c plane with two servos operating rudder and elevator, electric motor, gearbox, undercarriage, and a duration of approx. 15 minutes. Operated from a normal r/c transmitter (the same one I use for my electric helicopter). The 'ready to fly' weight is 14.8 grams (a whisker over half an ounce), wingspan 14.75". The motor and r/c both run off a single 70 mAh Li-Po cell, which weighs about 2.5 grams and charges in 20 mins.

Bought 'off the shelf', just charge the battery and fly. £59 including battery and charger! Few pictures (not mine):

PKZ3300-ACT7.jpg

PKZ3300-Gal9.jpg

PKZ3300-Gal5.jpg

PKZ3300-Gal12.jpg

I've been flying indooor r/c with bigger electric models in sports halls etc. for some years now ... not long ago you'd have paid £50 for a single ultra-light servo. To get a whole ready to fly model for not much more is astonishing.

The plane flies beautifully - very responsive, and will slow to a crawl without stalling (nose high, lots of power). On full throttle it will climb almost vertically and accelerates rapidly straight & level, so 'power management' is critical in tight spaces. Lots of fun :)

Would love to get one of those fitted out with a small wireless camera, which also are very small and very light weight these days. Could make for some amazing aerial shots.

Please don't post things like this, I waste enough money on things I don't need as it is. :p ;)

Bought my own Vapor about 3 weeks ago, our lounge is a bit small for it, but it's great in this big building we have at work when it hasn't got even bigger flying objects in it! :) I have to agree with you BTB, 'modelling' has come a long way in a short time!

Id be interested in one of these.....where did you get it from ?

Id be interested in one of these.....where did you get it from ?

Just Google 'Parkzone Vapor' .. many of the online model stores sell it.

There are two versions:

"Ready to Fly" (RTF) which contains a transmitter
"Bind 'N Fly" (BNF) if you already have a suitable transmitter (2.4 Ghz, DSM2 ... I have a Blade CX2 helicopter so used the TX from that)

The BNF version is obviously a bit cheaper.

It really needs flat calm outdoors (dusk or first thing in the morning). Indoors is better if you have enough space, but a good degree of skill and experience is needed for flying in anything smaller than a conference room IMO.

This is something vaguely similar I built 7 years ago, much bigger (to counteract the much higher weight of r/c equipment and batteries back then). Cost a small fortune due to all the special carbon fibre parts (including the 11" prop)

Stubenfliege.jpg

Stubecase.jpg

Stubetail1.jpg

Stubetail2.jpg

Stubestrut.jpg

Stubewing.jpg

Braun Stubenfliege -all carbon structure, 7 gram per sq. metre Mylar covering, Kevlar rigging, Faulhaber 1524 coreless ballraced motor, 11.8:1 gearbox, JMP HF9 hi-freq esc, 11x4.5" WES carbon prop., 2 x Pico F JST plug servos, MPX Pico 3/4 RX (case removed), originally 8x50 mAh nicd, now 3 x 450 mAh Li Ion, home-made carry case.

Still got it and fly it occasionally, needs a bit more room than the Vapor due to the size.

BTB - no longer in business, but thanks for your past custom! I built a Stubenfliege when they first came out and IIRC, one servo cost about the same as the whole Vapor! Got my Vapor at the Nats this year £70 with transmitter!

Isn't it just marvelous? The little electric helicopters are fun, too, if a bit knacky to fly. But the cats seem to grow accustomed to them a bit too quickly.
I can hardly wait for the next decade's toys.

Bill what a talented man you are :p

Isn't it just marvelous? The little electric helicopters are fun, too, if a bit knacky to fly. But the cats seem to grow accustomed to them a bit too quickly.

I was flying my heli in the back garden and the dogs got out. One in particular was determined to eat it - leaping up and down like a mad thing! I had to land it on the patio table in the end.

mx1_rc_copter.jpg

Smallest r/c helicopter, only $39 doollars

Product Features
  • R/C Helicopter is amazingly small and stores inside its own remote
  • Choose from three different colors, each on its own channel and fly with a friend
  • Flashing Blue LED for Night Flying
  • Intended for indoor use. Outdoor flying only under ZERO wind conditions
  • Full Flight control with up/down and turn right/left
  • Body is constructed from durable EPP foam
  • Copter stores inside of remote
  • Charges from remote
  • 15 minute charge time, 5 - 7 minute flight time
  • Extra tail rotor included
  • Uses 6 AA Batteries (Not Included)
  • Copter is 4.65" in length

Continuing the micro r/c theme, this is my latest:

P-5101.jpg

P-5102.jpg

A 16" span P-51D with full 4-channel proportional radio ... 34 grams (1.25 oz), ready to fly!

Not suitable for the lounge, but should be a lot of fun at the winter indoor sessions (or outdoors on a calm evening - still waiting for one of those :() :)

out of interest Bill where do you indoor fly then ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom