Just for fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GavJ

Car
E350
What an excellent way to spend a day.... woke up on Saturday with nothing to do (apart from the list my wife left for me) so decided just to go for a drive. Now be completely honest, if it wasn't for a shoulder injury I probably would have used the bike...

Anyway, chucked the camera into the car and set off, 250 mile round trip, averaging 45 mpg, went to Oban and back....

Clear sky and bright sunshine, but about 6 deg C. Absolutely stunning scenery, been there many times before but I still want to stop every 5 miles and look.

Traffic was light, was caught behind a bus at one point who indicated left at the first opportunity to signal that it was safe to pass.

Passed the Connel bridge, with water like glass below it! Anyone who knows this bridge will tell you the water is always turbulent below it, around every corner was a picture postcard view. On the way home the sun was setting and the sky took on a pink hue.

Now I know I may have offended a few enviro-mentalists but what a way to spend a few hours...

E350 front.jpg

E350 Back.jpg

+1

Wonderful scenery. I've taken 2 weeks off work in March to pick up my car from Lincolnshire and plan to drive through Scotland for the first time, then down through the Lake District, Dales, Peaks then the east coast to Kent. The OP has whetted appetite most keenly!

Amazing photos and I am sure some great roads to drive on too!

Thanks for replies, its been a while since I have driven for fun, as opposed to having fun while driving if that makes sense. Its a thing most motorcyclist do when they can as most only use their bikes for fun. Ill be doing it more with the merc from now on, Id rather put £20 in the tank than sit in a cinema or the likes.

Id rather put £20 in the tank than sit in a cinema or the likes.

This ^^^

Get bitten by the AMG bug and this is how a little drive turns out (courtesy of RSK21) :thumb:.

2.05min :cool:

[YOUTUBE]UKp-ozE2y9w&feature[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Great thread Gav but a bit light on pics.:dk::D

I could spend hours on the Connel Bridge watching the tide rips. Just amazing.

Moved thread to Driving section. :D

Last edited:
I really must take a long drive around my local area and post a lot of pics. Slough can be so scenic.

Great to get out and use your car in such a lovely environment!

Looks like an awesome jaunt OP!

Some amazing scenery as well. Lovely day for it too, plenty of sunshine but very cold! :)

didn't stop much for photos, wanted to get back before total darkness, didn't plan that well... but here's a favourite pic of mine somewhere between Ayr and Dumfries...... no sat nav on the bike :dk:DSC_9680.jpg

For you chaps who know Oban, I'd just like to say how fondly I remember our holiday there in 1998 and share an amusing story...

We were staying in the Alexandra Hotel - a Victorian building with "turret rooms", the top one of which, on the third floor, was ours. In this turret area, there was a small table with two comfortable chairs looking out to the sea, ostensibly with nothing overlooking us.

After a day out walking, I had taken a shower and was relaxing, nude, in the turret area, gazing out to sea while my husband showered...just as a Coast Guard helicopter flew past within feet of the window! I shrieked and sort of slid to the carpet. Yoiks!

Anyway, splendid holiday, the fish restaurant next to the sea is a must and the hotel we stayed in apparently was seen in a Bond film.

O:ban:

Those pics are awesome. I really need to move.

What an excellent way to spend a day.... woke up on Saturday with nothing to do (apart from the list my wife left for me) so decided just to go for a drive. Now be completely honest, if it wasn't for a shoulder injury I probably would have used the bike...

Anyway, chucked the camera into the car and set off, 250 mile round trip, averaging 45 mpg, went to Oban and back....

Clear sky and bright sunshine, but about 6 deg C. Absolutely stunning scenery, been there many times before but I still want to stop every 5 miles and look.

Traffic was light, was caught behind a bus at one point who indicated left at the first opportunity to signal that it was safe to pass.

Passed the Connel bridge, with water like glass below it! Anyone who knows this bridge will tell you the water is always turbulent below it, around every corner was a picture postcard view. On the way home the sun was setting and the sky took on a pink hue.

Now I know I may have offended a few enviro-mentalists but what a way to spend a few hours...

View attachment 61493

View attachment 61494
....Nice...yes the water is always turbulent under the bridge area.. I always stop at the Loch Awe barrage on my way to Oban to catch the ferry to Loch Boisdale...nice to see the Salmon leaping around.. the times I have done that run either in a Golf GTI,Merc 190e or a C class.. that journey is beautiful once past Glasgow/Crianlarich... foxy52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom