Just got a text message from Regtransfers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Saying to call them as they have a plate that might interest me. (I must have registered with them years ago for a private plate)

Anyway, the text includes the plate in question, and it does interest me.
Trouble is, they're asking 3k for it.

Question is, does anyone have any dealings with them?
Are their prices negotiable?

Is there a way of getting that plate cheaper from another supplier?
Just wondering if there are any tips or secrets anyone knows of on how to get the plate elsewhere?

I know but if I ring them and engage in conversation with them, I might just end up buying it!!!

Try looking it up on DVLA first, it might have reverted back to them through being untaxed

I know but if I ring them and engage in conversation with them, I might just end up buying it!!!

The art is to play hardball. Make them think you are seriously interested, then go away to think about it and wait for them to come back to you with an even better deal. Lets face it, personalised plates are not exactly high on everyones list of priorities at the moment! :)

Whats the plate? They sometimes buy from DVLA auctions and add a load on top often for plates they don't yet own. They tried that with me before.

Go the the DVLA cherished number plate site and check out the lots at their next auction - the one you are after may have just become available.

Had a quick look on DVLA and on Regtransfers. It's not on either of them.
The plate is old style uk.
It's three letters, three numbers and then a letter.

For what it's worth I have bought a good few plates off RegTransfers now and I would suggest making an enquiry/offer and then keeping on at them every day or so until they get fed up and sell it to you. In my experience the won't try too hard to talk you into it.

After that, seamless and easy as far as i'm concerned - no problems ever dealing with them.

Top Tip - Just be a pest!!!!

I know the money is better spent else where. Actually, I was always against private plates when I was younger but as soon as I started getting into Mercs, I turned into a right ponse. (No point hiding it).
I have a private plate on my W220 but that is a cheap one. Does the job, but you can tell it's a cheap one.
If I bought this one, everyone that know me will know what it says. (Just realised how vain I'm sounding!!)

Right, enough of this self obsessiveness. I'll give them a call tomorrow, and see what they say.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Will let you know how it goes.

(skips off whilst humming well known tune by Carly Simon.)

Yes they will look at a offer,keep in mind that they also act as agents for Joe public trying to sell number plates, so a bit of two and throwing will go on.Be warned it might be on a vehicle on sorn not taxed or Mot'ed which adds to the mix

I got cold called by British Car Registrations a couple of years ago to sell a plate that I had. I have never had any dealings with them or even registered my details at any point but they must have found a buyer (or the buyer found them) for the plate I had and tracked me down. I was offered £1,650. I kept playing hardball until I knew that I could budge no further (even blanked their calls for weeks). Final offer was £1,850. I took the offer as the plate was sitting on retention anyway. Dread to think how much the buyer had to pay after the BCR markup. BTW I paid £1,000 for that plate.

Check the DVLA first - if it's not on there offer low - I got my plate from them, I started off at 30% of the asking price and we managed to agree on 50%ish of the advertised price after a couple of rounds of negotiation..

The trick is to take your time, I let them sweat for 2 months before I went ahead and bought mine...

As suggested above check whether the plate is available through the DVLA or via any other agents. Regtransfers don't own all of the plates that they sell in fact much of their stock is sold on a commission basis.

It may be worth checking one of the reg checking sites to see whether the plate is actually on a car. I sold a plate through them and managed to negotiate the price upwards.

They quite often buy a lot of plates from the DVLA auctions and re-sell them, I keep a close eye on those for a 2 x 2 and quite often get texts and emails from regtransfers saying that they can secure particular plates for a fee, they essentially then go off and buy it at auction and resell at a healthy premium.

Try to play tough, but at the end of the day if you really really want it and you can afford it - buy it. Number plates by there nature are unique and if it means a lot to you then it's worth it (in my view).

Incidentally I also got a text and an email from them today, 2 numbers & 2 letters (my intials) £15k

i paid a grand for mrs jb's number a few years ago, advertised on a site for 1250 when every other site wanted 2000 for it. the site i bought from actually had the relationship with the owner, the other sites were piggybacking.
shop around, take your time, it will be advertised elsewhere....it sounds expensive unless it makes a name?

I too got a message from Regtransfers
They will be happy sell me 78 RAY for £3995

It was sold at a DVLA auction 5th December for £2400
A nice little earner for them if I'd actually wanted it

I think it would be cheaper to change your name with depole to that of your car registration, it only costs £10.
From now on I will be known as FV59 GJE
Nice cheap personalised plate.

Non age related plates

mr. shr

Are you honestly saying that on the DVLA list you can't see a plate to use for this purpose?

It does not have to be your name or initials no one else will ever know.

Had a quick look and for £250.00 inc the £80.00 bit there are loads that would be OK and very acceptable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom