Just got back home with my newly purchased W140 S600L!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Rothwell

Car
S500L (W220) PREV- S600L (W140),3x E320, E280, E240, S500, 450SLC, E300D Wagon
Hi everyone,

I just got back home in my new (to me) W140 S600 and seriously, wow, what a car.

I had a W140 500 before and thought that was impressive the 600 is on another planet. The torque this engine produces is enough to start ice ages, and it's just as refined as my 500 was even though this one has done 15k more miles than my last but is a year newer.

It's a 98/S done 122k with a pretty good service record made up of bills as the previous owner lost the service book. It's a 2 owner car, first owner being Capital Bank and then the second owner bought it in 2001 as he was working for CB and had admired it for the first 3 years.

It's in a funny colour, it's like a non-metalllic deep sea blue if that makes sense, would of much rather black but at least it isn't silver.

The car has 2 faults at present, the first being an annoying rubbing noise from the back of the car and it's frequency doesn't change with road speed I think it might just be the exhaust rubbing?

The second is a little more troublesome, when you start the car the (BAS ESP) and (ABS) light come on, the (ABS) light goes out after a few seconds of moving or even if you just turn the front wheels lock to lock. However the other light remains? Having read through the forum their are advice and answers for the ML and the C Class I presume the same advice applies to the 140? If not if anyone could shed some light that would be handy, the previous owner said it happened right after a garage changed the REAR pads and discs.

Other than a little wheel wobble at certain speeds and the trackings a tad off she runs like a dream. The fuel economy wasn't dire, I did just over 200 miles on just over 1/4 tank or there abouts, I wished I had filled up now to get an accurate idea of mpg, but I'm not expecting much.

It's got some rust on the front drivers wing which I'll get sorted out ASAP with my bodyshop. It's also got MOT until March with no advisorys on the last 3 MOTs which is nice to know.

I'll post up some photos of her tommorow, but I just wanted to share my joy! I'm going to be a real saddo and spend all of Sunday morning cleaning my new toy.

Cheers.

Sounds nice!! Look forward to seeing the photos.

I'll get some photos today sometime.

The battery is not holding a charge on the car as it has not been used since March, how much is a new battery on one of these? £80?

Is it worth taking it out of the car and sticking it on charge throughout the day or is there no hope?

You want to look at this site. K6JRF Auto Page The warning light may just be down to low battery voltage. I would change it ASAP and get the biggest that will fit- lots of electrical gismos to feed amps to. You can't go wrong as a new owner with a good new battery Check also that you are not getting a parasitic leakage of current from some component when the car engine is switched off.
and this one
http://v12uberalles.com/

Last edited:
I'll get some photos today sometime.

The battery is not holding a charge on the car as it has not been used since March, how much is a new battery on one of these? £80?

Is it worth taking it out of the car and sticking it on charge throughout the day or is there no hope?
Check the current drain on it when the car is off, could ne some other electrical problem.

Never really worth risking it with a suspect battery, it'll just leave you stranded somewhere when it won't start and you'll hate yourself for being cheap.

Does the rubbing noise change when you go over bumps etc?

Car sounds awesome otherwise, we can live vicariously through you and you V12.

Congratulations and welcome to the world of V12's, they are awesome. Just hope you haven't got the same oil leak I had at the front of the heads!

Enjoy! :)

Thanks for the kind words and advice guys, I can't work out the multi-quote thing so I'll just answer as best I can.

It doesn't seem to be leaking any oil but I had best inspect it properly on a ramp.

The rubbing noise only starts when driving over uneven ground or if I steer left to right in a slamon I can make it do it, I've read on the V12uberalles website that it might be the accuators, I'll read that article properly and see if there is a way of testing to try and ensure I get the fix right first time.

I'm going to go out later on and pick up a 100AMP battery for the car and see if that cures it, I'll also test to make sure there is no drain whilst the car is not running.

I'm at work today at the garage so I'll get one of the chaps in the workshop to run it onto a ramp for me and give it the once over. Is there anything I should ask him to check in particular? I think the headlights are totally out of alighnment so I'll get them fixed today as well. Plus I will get some photos, although it will be with my phone rather than with my proper Canon EOS so they won't be great but I'd like to hear your opinion of the colour, it looks a lot better than it did last night as it's more bluey than I thought.

:)

Very nice. Can you make it to the MB World meet at the end of the month? Perhaps Ray will bring his S600 also?

I think I'm going to Prague (in the car..) the last weekend of this month, otherwise I most certainly would come.

If I don't go I'll happily come and have a chat with you guys.

Congrats on the car!, Now wheres the pics!

I'm going to try and do them before I leave work and before it gets too dark.

I've replaced the battery and the ESP/BAS light remains on. I think I know a guy near me who has got a diagnostic machine that will read this car to get a fault code, hopefully from that I can figure out where the best place to start is.

Does anyone locally have any experience with the rear suspension noises I'm talking about? I'm happy to drive out to you and let you know hear the noises to get your opinion on it?

You did 200 miles on 1/4 tank ? in a 600 ?

Either the tank is ma-hoo-sive or it is seriously frugal on juice , i get about 400 miles on a full tank in my 430 V8 on the motorway ...

That would make your tank range 600 miles + :crazy:

I think the tank is 90 litres or so. I could get 550ish miles out of my E320 as the light came on with a 70 litre tank. I doubt it would do 600 miles to a tank.

I've got 1/2 tank left, when it runs down I'll fill it with some of the expensive fuel and see how many miles to a tank I can get out of it, I'm guessing with my normal commute to work through SW London traffic I'll be getting 12-15mpg every day which is about the same as a Supercharged Range Rover but I'd rather be in an S Class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom