Just got return flights to Glasgow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ALFIE CONN

From London Stansted for only £12 return in October:D.
Going up for 4 day's to see my first old firm derby at Ibrox Park.
More good news, i am only missing Spurs away to Blackburn, (which i doubt i would have gone to anyway.)

Anyone have any memories of a Old Firm Game?:p

P.S. By not driving up in the S/L, must be saving at least £200 in petrol money:thumb:

Well, since you asked.

You turn up. Usually sitting amongst your own fans although there have been occasions where you sit on your hands in the other end.

One team is wearing blue, the other green and white.

They battle for 90 minutes and then we all go home.

Some are happy, some are not.

The press lie and report a game nobody saw and there are usually 50,000 differing opinions on who did what to whom.

Well, since you asked.

You turn up. Usually sitting amongst your own fans although there have been occasions where you sit on your hands in the other end.

One team is wearing blue, the other green and white.

They battle for 90 minutes and then we all go home.

Some are happy, some are not.

The press lie and report a game nobody saw and there are usually 50,000 differing opinions on who did what to whom.

Has the atmosphere got a lot quieter in the last few years?
It certainly has down here at most stadiums.

You paid to go to Glasgow....

:)

That was the escape fee :devil:

Only joking - I love Glasgow. A great mix of culture and entertainment. The Burrell collection = :thumb:

You paid to go to Glasgow....

:)

But other than for the game, im spending all my time with friends in Edinburgh:p.

Not sure if i was once being wound up, is it true about a underground City that was found and is a tourist destination in Edinburgh?

Got quite a lot of great memories of the games, as a supporter and also working at them!! They are the best games to be at, can never sleep the night before one!!

But other than for the game, im spending all my time with friends in Edinburgh:p.

Not sure if i was once being wound up, is it true about a underground City that was found and is a tourist destination in Edinburgh?

True, I think it was rife with cholera and was built over and forgotten about.
George St. in Edinburgh is great, but Glasgow is, in general, better. (Pause for arguments from east coasters!!)

Mary Kings Close, the Council Chambers were built on top of it & it is now a tourist attraction. You need to book as it is usually busy. The cholera stuff is urban myth though.

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/

Russ

Sorry guys but as someone who stays in Glasgow 90% of my week it's amazing to hear what people think of it! I know there are a few "Weegies" on here so no doubt they will say something.

Just remember Glasgow was voted the following recently:-
1) Murder Capital
2) Friendliest Place

Work that one out!

Just remember Glasgow was voted the following recently:-
1) Murder Capital
2) Friendliest Place

Work that one out!

After being assaulted, you will be given directions to the nearest hospital by your attacker.

Russ

There are worth places that Glasgow guys, if you go looking for hassle you'll get it. We dont have the same problem with gun crime as many places down south.

Back to the football question, been to many Old firm games over the years, still a "healthy" atmosphere of hatred which to be honest i'm getting a bit tired off. I'm saying that now but its hard to stay away!

I dont imagine you have problems getting a ticket for the old firm games! ;)

The tunnels were closed during the plague but are re opened now for tours at the grasss market, royal mile etc

The tunnels were closed during the plague but are re opened now for tours at the grasss market, royal mile etc

Again, the plague was in 1645 & Mary Kings Close was built over in 1753 when the town was modernised & the city chambers built over it using the existing buildings as its foundations.

All this talk of plagues & people sealed up in their homes for ever are as true as the Loch Ness monster.

Russ

I dont imagine you have problems getting a ticket for the old firm games! ;)

Hi Cat. I did not really get what you meant with the above comment?

Im very lucky regarding a ticket for the game.
A good friend from Edinburgh and his 20yr old son are both S/T holders at Rangers. Both of em are also in the Army and the Boy is going to serve in the "war" zone for a few months not long before the game (Dad following soon after) and im having the spare ticket.

P.S. This is a bit off topic but what do you think?

Im now 45, have been going Spurs home & away (regularly) since i was 10 yrs old and suppose i would be classed as a very loyal Spurs fan, (S/T holder and been to every away game in europe for the last 3 years and easily over 1,000 games.)
I dont know if it is cos im getting old but untill recently i know i would not have missed a Spurs game unless i really had to.
I wish i still had the "passion" i used to have and HAD to still go to every game.
Is it a age thing that happens to most people?

P.S. Cat, i finally "got it" when i re-read my post and who i am :doh::p.

Last edited:
Hi Cat. I did not really get what you meant with the above comment?

Im very lucky regarding a ticket for the game.
A good friend from Edinburgh and his 20yr old son are both S/T holders at Rangers. Both of em are also in the Army and the Boy is going to serve in the "war" zone for a few months not long before the game (Dad following soon after) and im having the spare ticket.

P.S. This is a bit off topic but what do you think?

Im now 45, have been going Spurs home & away (regularly) since i was 10 yrs old and suppose i would be classed as a very loyal Spurs fan, (S/T holder and been to every away game in europe for the last 3 years and easily over 1,000 games.)
I dont know if it is cos im getting old but untill recently i know i would not have missed a Spurs game unless i really had to.
I wish i still had the "passion" i used to have and HAD to still go to every game.
Is it a age thing that happens to most people?

P.S. Cat, i finally "got it" when i re-read my post and who i am :doh::p.

;)

It prob is an age thing, not sure as I get older I'm getting less tolerant, specifically at old firm games. I know there are a lot of good people on both sides go to these games but there is a "scum" element on both sides which I really find difficult to be in the same area as. That at times combined with the standard of football up here no longer holds the same addictive appeal...

...Your right it is an age thing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom