Just how cheap can car insurance get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del320

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
1996 E320 Coupe
Now I know all about the vagaries of car insurance - age, address, driving record etc and, of course, the car itself, but even cynical old me was pleasantly surprised today.

My invitation to renew arrived from SAGA with the usual "outrageous" quote so I was straight onto the dog to haggle it down:

* 23 year old C124 owned for 18 years.
* 69 year old main driver plus 59 year old named driver.
* no fault claim 4 years ago, clean licenses.
* £350 excess.
* NCD protection.
* Legal protection.
* Breakdown cover (basic).
* Minimal or no excess on glass, theft and vandalism.
* Kept on driveway in low-risk postcode.

Yours, Sir, for...

...£180.26 (fully comp, of course).

Can anyone do significantly better?

:thumb:

Now I know all about the vagaries of car insurance - age, address, driving record etc and, of course, the car itself, but even cynical old me was pleasantly surprised today.

My invitation to renew arrived from SAGA with the usual "outrageous" quote so I was straight onto the dog to haggle it down:

* 23 year old C124 owned for 18 years.
* 69 year old main driver plus 59 year old named driver.
* no fault claim 4 years ago, clean licenses.
* £350 excess.
* NCD protection.
* Legal protection.
* Breakdown cover (basic).
* Minimal or no excess on glass, theft and vandalism.
* Kept on driveway in low-risk postcode.

Yours, Sir, for...

...£180.26 (fully comp, of course).

Can anyone do significantly better?

:thumb:
Don't buy legal protection with the insurance and save another £25 roughly. I have legal protection with RAC for £15 per year which covers 5 people.

My recent insurance renewal on the SL500 was £187, well pleased with that.

It’s coming up on a year since I bought the wee Polo as a stopgap.

Cost me approx £130 to insure it with no NCD to apply ( it was an addition to my fleet and NCD already used on other cars ) .

Can’t remember all the details but fully comp and some business use .

I gave the car to my nephew last year , but just left my insurance running ( he had also insured it ) for various reasons : I still drove it occasionally, I’d have got no refund , in fact they wanted £25 to cancel early, and it has earned me a years NCD .

The renewal invitation just came in at £102 , which I won’t be taking up - I’ll just tell them I no longer have the car .

Very reasonable price though .

I got 2 identical quotes, (up to 10K/yr) for 2 different cars.

1st car, a 1989 W124 E300D.
2nd car, a 2002 W209 CLK 500.

1st one, a slow old diesel, the 2nd a reasonable powerful, 5lt sports coupe.

Surprisingly, it was going to be £95 LESS to insure the CLK 500!

LGO

It’s coming up on a year since I bought the wee Polo as a stopgap.

Cost me approx £130 to insure it with no NCD to apply ( it was an addition to my fleet and NCD already used on other cars ) .

Can’t remember all the details but fully comp and some business use .

I gave the car to my nephew last year , but just left my insurance running ( he had also insured it ) for various reasons : I still drove it occasionally, I’d have got no refund , in fact they wanted £25 to cancel early, and it has earned me a years NCD .

The renewal invitation just came in at £102 , which I won’t be taking up - I’ll just tell them I no longer have the car .

Very reasonable price though .

There is a risk to leaving it running. If the car was stolen for example and he made a claim, his insurer could claim 50% of the costs from your insurer and cause you to have a fault claim.

Mad as it sounds, by leaving the insurance in place, you are taking joint responsibility. Whilst it is illegal for two policies to be claimed against from a policyholder perspective, it is allowable for the insurer to claim back against that joint policy for costs.

Just a heads up for people in case they ever look to do the same.

Here are 4 quotes I've had over the past 3 weeks, all through Go Compare, all details the same except the car. All for 10K miles/yr, all fully comp.

7th Feb for a CLK 320, £382.92.
9th Feb, E300D, £454.72
13thFeb, CLK 500, £356.62
1st March CLK 320, £267.47

The last one, for essentially the same car, £115 cheaper than the 1st one. Perhaps I should wait another month!

What is more surprising, that last quote is cheaper than the renewal quote on my 2001, Citroen C15 van, which was only 3rd party F&T, value £500, 3K miles/yr!! Was Adrian Flux ripping me off or what?

Also, that last quote, as usually, carries a compulory excess, with the option of a voluntary excess. Putting the details in to start with I opted for £250 excess. While I was reviewing the details I wondered how much difference it would make if I reduced that to £200. Answer, none. So, I tried £150. Again, no difference. How about £0 voluntary excess? No difference.

So check how much difference you voluntary excess makes. Might be none!

LGO.

SL55 AMG. 19yrs old. I am retired. Fully comp with £250 excess. 3 pts for speeding.
And now the important bit................agreed value !!!
£275 from A Flux.

Won the lottery @ 18.

E500 Sport @ £210 that was £50 less than my previous Volvo S80 diesel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wished mine was that cheap! 10 yrs no claims, spotless driving record and am expecting nearly 3k for renewal this year. And that’s with Adrian flux. Tried the comparison sites and well, cheaper to pay off the national deficit. My Lexus is250 was just over 1k

Wished mine was that cheap! 10 yrs no claims, spotless driving record and am expecting nearly 3k for renewal this year. And that’s with Adrian flux. Tried the comparison sites and well, cheaper to pay off the national deficit. My Lexus is250 was just over 1k

Is Preston a hotbed for car crime?
That is a crazy premium to be paying.

My E55 is costing me just under £300 pa
I couldn't justify anything over £1k a year.

Very little car crime on my estate. Ins companies must be looking at general crime rates. Used to go off personal driving history, but sadly no more. Anything to bump up the price, and I won’t move as I was born and raised here.
When I first got my m3, I paid 1k ins with Adrian flux, and I’ve argued this. Tried just about every ins company and always sky high price. Not fair as all I do is work

Just had my Aviva renewal through, SL500 £404.00 fully comp £500 excess. Requote on their new Aviva Plus site, £19 p/m interest free, £650 excess, free loan car etc.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

£585 for both cars with Aviva (including Legal Cover...). £150 excess each.

Public street parking in central London.

Renewal on my SL63 was £216 fully comp. cheaper than the other half’s Mazda 2, go figure

£220 for a pair of 1980s Ovlovs making it £110 each.

Unlimited mileage, although they will probably only do a couple of thousand.

If only the VED was as reasonable. Still, only a few years until they are exempt, unless the rules change in the meantime.

There is a risk to leaving it running. If the car was stolen for example and he made a claim, his insurer could claim 50% of the costs from your insurer and cause you to have a fault claim.

Mad as it sounds, by leaving the insurance in place, you are taking joint responsibility. Whilst it is illegal for two policies to be claimed against from a policyholder perspective, it is allowable for the insurer to claim back against that joint policy for costs.

Just a heads up for people in case they ever look to do the same.

I remember a news item a few years ago, a guy sold his car and never told his insurance company. The guy who bought it had a serious accident while drunk, had never insured the car himself, and the insurance company held the previous owner liable for everything and took him to court. On the other hand, I renewed the insurance on a motorcycle for £144, decided to sell it 4 weeks later and was refunded only £6, so thank you Carole Nash insurance, you certainly know how to rip customers off!

Renewal on my SL63 was £216 fully comp. cheaper than the other half’s Mazda 2, go figure
Crazy, seems Aviva love the SL currently!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom