Just How Stupid Can the 'Woke' Culture Get...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole woke thing is not a recent phenomenon, but certainly more widespread. Attending a conference 20 plus years ago run by a Local Authority we had to complete a compulsory but anonymous questionnaire which included questions about sexual orientation and race. As was usual at the time there was an option apart from male female etc of "other" . It was the first time I had ever encountered such cobblers, so I answered with "alien cat". There was a follow up meeting when feedback was requested on the results of the questions and the very earnest 20 something presenter brought up the alien cat answer which she said proved how careful we should all be in identifying people by race and sex. I hadn't the heart to own up to the fact that it had been a joke, but had to stifle a guffaw.

Racism and sexism in particular are important issues, but the responses of institutions like the NHS and other authorities make these issues look ridiculous.

Black, Asian, Minority, Ethnic (I think...). I've long since lost track of the meaning of that other tail-wagging-the-dog term LGBTQ++, though, and I can't be bothered to look it up.
And just to put the fur covered feline living being (cat) amongst the feathered beings who able to fly (pigeons). - this is from The Sun so must be correct

What does BAME mean?​

People who are not of White British descent were often described in this collective way.

It stands for Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic.

It is a term used to describe all ethnicities with the exception of White ethnic groups.

This includes individuals of mixed backgrounds. An individual who identifies as mixed would also have fallen under this category.

It is often incorrectly assumed that the phrase only refers to Black and Asian people.

According to the Government, BAME people include:

• Arabic people
  • Asylum seekers and refugees
  • Asian or Asian British people
  • Black (African/African Caribbean) or Black British people
  • Chinese people
  • Irish people (‘White Other’)
  • People of mixed heritage
  • Travellers and Gypsies
  • People who identify as ‘White Other’ e.g. White Australian, White European

Gollom

I'm not trying to be challenging but where please did you find the list which you quoted.

I found this statement:-

3. BAME and BME​

We do not use the terms BAME (black, Asian and minority ethnic) and BME (black and minority ethnic) because they emphasise certain ethnic minority groups (Asian and black) and exclude others (mixed, other and white ethnic minority groups). The terms can also mask disparities between different ethnic groups and create misleading interpretations of data.

In March 2021, the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities recommended that the government stop using the term BAME.

Here:- Writing about ethnicity

NJSS

And just to put the fur covered feline living being (cat) amongst the feathered beings who able to fly (pigeons). - this is from The Sun so must be correct

What does BAME mean?​

People who are not of White British descent were often described in this collective way.

It is a term used to describe all ethnicities with the exception of White ethnic groups.

This includes individuals of mixed backgrounds. An individual who identifies as mixed would also have fallen under this category.

It is often incorrectly assumed that the phrase only refers to Black and Asian people.

• Arabic people
  • Chinese people
  • Travellers and Gypsies
That's me as 'white other' I guess.
Born to one parent (Dad) who's heritage is said to be from Germany till in the early 1900's.
Mum's heritage wasn't British till 1707.

God know's where that leaves my sister who is a Malteser born there when Dad was stationed there in the navy.

Interesting that a woman (sorry person) BBC reporter described the firefighters at the Paddington incident today as ‘burly’

Attachments

• 98125257-0402-4596-8493-98B84AF3588C.png
    98125257-0402-4596-8493-98B84AF3588C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
YET ANOTHER "CLICKBAIT" THREAD THAT ONLY SERVES TO AMPLIFY THE VERY TOPIC IT PURPORTS TO CRITICISE-
Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity! ;)

Interesting reading the definition of BAME. UK TV & online adverts appear to have one critera - that one must be BAME. Inclusive yet exclusive.

Still this gender/ identity politics game is a useful tool to divert the publics attention from the real issues within society. Fill their heads with matters of no importance. Fiddling while Rome burns.

Reactions: m80

What does BAME mean?​

• Arabic people
  • Chinese people
  • Travellers and Gypsies

I sincerely hope that BAME does not include white Irish, white Australian or white European and I've never seen it defined as such. Go back far enough and all 3 are essentially the same race.

The whole woke thing is not a recent phenomenon, but certainly more widespread. Attending a conference 20 plus years ago run by a Local Authority we had to complete a compulsory but anonymous questionnaire which included questions about sexual orientation and race. As was usual at the time there was an option apart from male female etc of "other" . It was the first time I had ever encountered such cobblers, so I answered with "alien cat". There was a follow up meeting when feedback was requested on the results of the questions and the very earnest 20 something presenter brought up the alien cat answer which she said proved how careful we should all be in identifying people by race and sex. I hadn't the heart to own up to the fact that it had been a joke, but had to stifle a guffaw.

Racism and sexism in particular are important issues, but the responses of institutions like the NHS and other authorities make these issues look ridiculous.
When the question was "Sex?:__________ “ (i.e. with a blank space to provide an answer) I’d always put “yes please” unless, it was a job application.

YET ANOTHER "CLICKBAIT" THREAD THAT ONLY SERVES TO AMPLIFY THE VERY TOPIC IT PURPORTS TO CRITICISE-
Remember there's no such thing as bad publicity! ;)
I doubt Boris Johnson would agree with you on that last point. Or Gary Glitter, or Matt Hancock, or Jimmy Saville, or Adolf Hitler, or_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _(insert name of choice there; I can't be bothered to think of any more...)

We’ll have the blacks over there near the Asians. Opposite them are the gay men and over the other side we will have the gay women. By the window we can have the thems. The straight men can sit near the door and the straight women can sit at the front.
Why do the thems get the window seat. What times the meeting as I haven't been invited:(

That's because you're not one of them...

When the question was "Sex?:__________ “ (i.e. with a blank space to provide an answer) I’d always put “yes please” unless, it was a job application.

I usually put "Not any more" then under "Age" I put "See above"

A good few years ago I was the (unpaid) chairman of a non-profit organisation that ran an annual outdoor event at an agricultural showground. We used the toilet blocks belonging to the venue (signed as male & female), plus hired-in 'portaloos' (which were un-signed and free for all). We got a letter from an attendee threatening legal action for not providing specific transgender toilet facilities.

A good few years ago I was the (unpaid) chairman of a non-profit organisation that ran an annual outdoor event at an agricultural showground. We used the toilet blocks belonging to the venue (signed as male & female), plus hired-in 'portaloos' (which were un-signed and free for all). We got a letter from an attendee threatening legal action for not providing specific transgender toilet facilities.
The trouble is that these people complaining about the lack of "transgender toilet facilities" actually think that the rest of us care..........................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom