Just joined, recently bought 1st Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

6CylinderMerc

Car
W203 C240 Elegance
Hi all, I came across this forum last week & thought I'd join & post.
After hankering after a Merc for several years I finally took the plunge. I've had Audi's before but always fancied the 3 pointed star so bought one last month. I got a W203 C240 Elegance on a 2001 plate with 67,000 miles. I wanted a dark colour & was looking for either Avantgarde or Elegance auto but I really wanted full grey leather. That was the hardest part & after searching all over the internet (and looking at a few dodgy ones with bad paint repairs & no history) I finally found one at a main Skoda dealer only 2 miles from where I live. The last owners traded it in against a new Skoda!:crazy:

Needless to say, a FMBSH is with the car. Anyhow, I digress - C240 in Tanzanite Blue with grey leather in excellent condition save for a few stone chips. Extras were (as far as I can tell) a cd autochanger although I'll probably end up fitting my Genesis amp & Diamond Audio speakers once I get a good deal on an Alpine head unit. In the meantime & in the absence of an audio manual, can anyone tell me how to turn off the damn TA announcements?:confused:

Since I've had it I bought new Bosch wiper blades, set of mats from the MB main stealer, first aid kit (original was missing) & I'm about to upgrade my bulbs to the new Osram Nightbreakers. I've also invested in a set of mudflaps which have yet to fitted (any instructions on these will be gratefully received). I fancy replacing the factory 16" alloys with a set of AMG 17" but that will probably wait until I need new tyres. I'm also thinking about a set of polished steel exhaust trims AMG style. What do others think - OTT or about right on the wheels & trims?

Minor problems I've had include passenger vanity mirror light not working (new visor being replaced under warranty), parking brake mechanism disintergrating with a rather loud bang when I'd just parked it (being replaced under warranty) & the on board display telling me I have a multitude of problems including BAS not working, SRS not working, bulb blown & display problem. I never have more than one of these faults showing at a time & nearly always they will be gone once I turn the car off & re-start it. Weird:crazy: . Anyhow, it's off the the main MB stealer at the Skoda dealers expense to be plugged to the mother ship to see what's wrong. Talking of the main stealer I got a quote for an A service & I couldn't believe that wanted to charge me over £100 just for oil!?!:mad: Looks like they won't be doing my servicing!

That's about it. A few minor niggles but it's a dream to drive & I think it's a great car. Getting around 20mpg around town, nearly 30mpg on a run but overall it's as smooth as silk. Hope to put some pictures up soon.

Sounds like you are one happy chappy - well done. Pics when you can would be great.

Oh and welcome :D :D

Hi and welcome. Re: the TA try holding the TA/TP button down for a few secs or hitting (and holding) 'mute' whilst one is being broadcast

Welcome to the club. Glad you like your new toy. I joined about 6 months ago and not regretted one second. Fabulous cars.

Welcome to the forum.

I hope you get the niggles sorted and enjoy your car. Don't despair if you don't get many answers this week as the forum is usually more active when people are at work. Of course, far be it from me to suggest that people are on this forum when they should be working.;)

Hi and welcome - where you based? There might be a good MB inde near to you....

Would love to see pics of your car:D

Hi & welcome to the club! and congratulations on the car.

Like you I also wanted an Avantgarde with a light interior when buying our C Class. Took quite a while, I also wanted a dark colour but after much searching ended up with an Elegance in a Silver / Light Grey Leather combination.

You may want to have a look at this thread to see other W203's, it may also give you ideas on future mods ;) :

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41323

Don't forget to add picturs of yours into the Members Gallery and the thread above.

Regarding the service costs, if your Merc already has a full MB history it may be worth seeing what the dealer can do. For example my dealer allows us to supply our own oil although I always use the same oil that they would (most will let you do this). There are some benefits of full MB history - 1. 30 year anti corrosion warranty 2. Mobilio recovery service (similar to AA / RAC). The exact cover unfortunatley varies from time of exact registration.

Welcome to a great forum but please be aware that having the car serviced outside the main dealer network will instantly invalidate the Mobilio warranty, your choice though and go for it. Have you thought about suplying the oil?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures
Regards
John

Welcome to a great forum but please be aware that having the car serviced outside the main dealer network will instantly invalidate the Mobilio warranty, your choice though and go for it. Have you thought about suplying the oil?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures
Regards
John

As Johns useful post, I supplied my own to MB SW and they used it and gave me a free sample of Shell oil and returned the unused oil.

There savings that can be made with oil, with Costco being the cheapest at around £24 for 4liters.

Engine oil is becoming more critical by the day with car engines as too the type used.

Hi and welcome - where you based? There might be a good MB inde near to you....

Would love to see pics of your car:D

I'm in Norfolk, UK. I believe that there is an independant just south of Norwich? (the name escapes me - must be age)

Hi & welcome to the club! and congratulations on the car.

Like you I also wanted an Avantgarde with a light interior when buying our C Class. Took quite a while, I also wanted a dark colour but after much searching ended up with an Elegance in a Silver / Light Grey Leather combination.

You may want to have a look at this thread to see other W203's, it may also give you ideas on future mods ;) :

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41323

Don't forget to add picturs of yours into the Members Gallery and the thread above.

Regarding the service costs, if your Merc already has a full MB history it may be worth seeing what the dealer can do. For example my dealer allows us to supply our own oil although I always use the same oil that they would (most will let you do this). There are some benefits of full MB history - 1. 30 year anti corrosion warranty 2. Mobilio recovery service (similar to AA / RAC). The exact cover unfortunatley varies from time of exact registration.

I thought the corrosion warranty was now covered under EC regulations provided that the servicing was carried out using original parts, regardless of whether it was carried out by a MB dealer?
I may be wrong though........??

Oh, and does anyone have any instructions for fitting the mudflaps?

BTW - Thanks for the replies so far. I intend to take some pics within the next couple of weeks so I'll post them here. Other items on the shopping list are AMG style pedals & a private plate.

II may be wrong though........??
:eek: :eek: 'fraid so and don't forget it is not a corrosion warranty. If you want more info then please do a search as this topic is a hot potato that gets debated ad infinitum.

Regards
John

Yes welcome.

Welcome to the forum, you should find this a very friendly and helpful place to be.

Oh, and does anyone have any instructions for fitting the mudflaps?

Where did you buy the flaps from? MB OEM parts should come with installation instructions.

I could not find a document from WIS, I would have a scanned copy for a W211 and I believe for a W210. Would not be the same but should be similar. On the other hand, if they are OEM flaps, installation should be pretty straightforward even without instructions (no need to drill any steel parts etc. just a few screws etc.)

I got them from ebay. Some guy had them in his garage for years without fitting them. They've got the clips, screws, etc but I didn't get any instructions with them. I've checked the part no's with MB & they are the right ones but I can't visualise how they fit.

Meant to add - the screw holes on the flaps don't line up with the holes in the wheel arch liner.

If the flaps are anything like the E-class ones (W211), you may have to remove some existing screws and make new holes for the new screws, but I haven't fitted flaps to my W203, so can't be sure. I suppose it's best to line them up and see how they look.

Oh, and welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom