Just looked at an 02 W210 E240 - possible problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profuminif

hi,

i have just looked at a 2002 W210 E240 and car was good, no rust luckily,
however there was a clicking under the bonnet that got me thinnking should it be there or not.

the clicking was coming from what i think is a valve on a pipe. this pipe is part of an assembly on the lower right side of the engine bay by the PAS bottle, there is a machined block there with a number of pipes coming out of it, so it may be ABS or fuel injection related, but i dont know which.
anyone help with a E240 engine bay picture, and i can circle the part, or perhaps help me by letting me know if this is a problem, or this clicking is meant to be there

a newbie about to buy his first Merc

Simon

I think it is part of the fuel recirculation system - there is a valve there that can tick. My SL500 did it sometimes - nearly had heart failure when I first heard it - thought it was a tappet. MB dealer offered to replace it for something like £250 (I think - but it was a while ago) but also told me it did not need doing and to leave it.

The pulse air system, it can often be heard when the car is warming up as it helps to bring the cats upto operating temperature.

As others have said, that tick is normal, olly showed it to me the other day on an W210 E55, which runs perfectly fine.

thanks all

with a bit of luck once the guy replaces the MAF on the car it will be mine :)
(needs the MAF done i think as the box doesn't downshift/kickdown on its own, but will change if using the tiptronic)

Simon

thanks all

with a bit of luck once the guy replaces the MAF on the car it will be mine :)
(needs the MAF done i think as the box doesn't downshift/kickdown on its own, but will change if using the tiptronic)

Simon

Check the throttle cable isn't slack, that will prevent kickdowns if it is too slack (as I found out myself recently).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom