just noticed that my CLK cabrio roof is a right mess after MB 'washed' it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
i was very happy with the service from Derby last week for the CLK's 4 year service & MOT. until today, just noticed the state of the roof on the passenger side.

it's the first time it's rained since i had it back & the roof being damp clearly shows that a jet wash has been used very, very close to the roof. the passenger side is grubbier as it sits near a tree on the drive & you can clearly see 'stripes' where the jet wash has been used!

if a jet wash has been used this close up on the roof, surely it will have removed some of the protection won't it? i've never let a jet wash near the roof, as recommended in the handbook.

:dk:

Annoying isn't it!!! To bring your roof back to good condition again, use Autoglym soft top cleaner and proofer. It's brilliant and has kept my roof looking great, even after "bird attacks"!!! :D

Just a thought, but one of my previous cars was a B.M.W 328i conv. Someone recommended using "fabsil" .So purchased a tin, sprayed it on and not only did it restore the colour but the water just rolled away, It was so good that if i was driving in the rain, once home the car was wet and the soft top was bone dry!!

Isn't fabsil really meant for tents and canopies, which are different fabrics to car roofs.
Or are they??...

They have have reproofed it after cleaning.....

definitely not. i've asked previously for a price to clean & re-proof the roof, they quoted £500+ due to labour costs.

thanks for the cleaning tips, which i know i need to do, but this is more about them using a jet wash close up when they shouldn't have.

any more comments before i give them a call?

No but it will be interesting to see what they say about it in terms of 'oh no was not us' or 'ok, yes, our chimp trained valeters messed up, bring it back and we'll sort it'

etc

i'm waiting for a callback now...

i thought it odd when i got back in the car, there were droplet marks all over the seats, not near the edge as if the door was opened & it's splashed, right in the middle of the seats. i thought they were just water but they wouldn't wipe off so i assumed they'd got detergent or similar in & will need to be wiped with a cleaner. perhaps the force of the water has actually caused some water though the roof?

talk of the devil, call just received - jet wash should have only been used lightly, definitely not enough to cause stripes of 'clean' in the dirt! i'm taking it in for them to look at but they've already offered to clean & re-proof it.

well done MB, exactly the response i would have hoped for!

Last edited:
Insist that the dealer reproofs the roof(the handbook clearly says never use a jet/power washer on the mohair roof-at least it did in my old clk320 cabs one).They actually sell the proofing stuff in a tin for about £15 from memory at any mb dealer spare parts dept,spray it on twice a year & you shouldn't get any problems with leaks;)

yes steve, the handbook still has the same guidance. :)

i've just had a look again at where the marks were on the seats, directly in line with where the roof joins to the windscreen. they were directional droplets (i know, too much CSI!) so the only explanation is that water has come through the roof.

the roof has actually dried out now & you can see the marks even worse, i don't think the service guy will argue the toss tomorrow anyway, but you don't get marks like that if the jet wash was used at a distance.

i'll shut up now! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom