just ordered 280 cdi Sport est

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Barryh

Car
slk350 with airscarf plus E280CDI Sport Est
Just ordered my new E280 CDI Sport Estate for Dec delivery.Took saloon out on test drive last week and it was tremendous.I also had a BMW 525tdi sport out today which I must say was also good but the engine lacked the ease of 280.BMW had lots I would like to have seen on Merc and vice versa.

only extras I have added are sun protect glass for the mutz ,tel prep and parktronic.Its Silver,on advice from forum to help stop car roasting in summer with dogs in.

Look forward to getting it sometime in December.

Barry

Congratulations Barry, lovely sounding car! Parktronic is definitely a worthwhile option on a car this big.

I've been waiting for months for my dealer to get an E280CDI (or new E320CDI) demonstrator in.

Sounds great - nice choice!!

I had an E200K courtesey car on Saturday and was very very impressed. So much so that I'm fast reaching the conclusion that a 280/320CDi would be just the job for me.

Did some research last night, and couldn't believe how cheap the BMW 520d is in comparison though - 520d seems like an incredible deal. Not as effortless as a big E, but the performance seems to be good (mid 8 seconds for 60 dash). I'm as tight as they come some cheap and frugal with potential for good residuals has a lot of appeal. Need to arrange some test drives I think!!

Bobby Dazzler said:
Sounds great - nice choice!!

I had an E200K courtesey car on Saturday and was very very impressed. So much so that I'm fast reaching the conclusion that a 280/320CDi would be just the job for me.

Did some research last night, and couldn't believe how cheap the BMW 520d is in comparison though - 520d seems like an incredible deal. Not as effortless as a big E, but the performance seems to be good (mid 8 seconds for 60 dash). I'm as tight as they come some cheap and frugal with potential for good residuals has a lot of appeal. Need to arrange some test drives I think!!
BMW residuals are not good I think.MB did some good deals so I got 280 for less than 525 ,both same cost ,roughly.520 sounds good ,I had 320 D before and it was good & frugal.I just lusted after a 6 cyl auto.Auto driving is so relaxed but suffers fuel consumption.

Try 520 I think you will like it.It does lack alot of xtras though.

Cheers Barryh. Would you mind me asking what sort of discount you managed to negotiate?

I agree regarding autos. It really is the way to go, providing the engine is endowed with enough torque to make it a pleasure. You certainly won't be struggling for torque on an E280!! Nice choice!!

I've driven a 520d (and a 525d and 530d) and I was very impressed with the 520d. It only weighs slightly more than the 320d as a lot of the car is aluminium so performance is very similar. My local BMW dealer freely offered a £2000 discount.

I played Watford and Luton off against each other (I work in St Albans so both are close).

Barryh said:
Try 520 I think you will like it. It does lack a lot of xtras though.

The only differences I can see in the standard spec are:

E270 Avantgarde has Xenons, Woodtrim and folding mirrors as standard.

BMW 520d/525d SE has 17" Wheels and Parktronic (with a cool display!) as standard and an AUX input for an IPOD.

Barryh said:
Auto driving is so relaxed but suffers fuel consumption.
Totally anecdotally, auto seems to hit the fuel consumption more on BMW's than on Merc's. People rave about 50MPG from 320d (and are hoping for similar in 520d) but they're manual - the auto's don't seem to do anything like that. Whereas my C270CDi can (if I drive it right) do 50MPG, and people with E320CDi's report MPG's well into the 40's.

Rory said:
Whereas my C270CDi can (if I drive it right) do 50MPG, and people with E320CDi's report MPG's well into the 40's.

I don't think any of the E320 owners on here have ever averaged over 40mpg, not unless it was a long run without many stops or cold starts!

This months What Car (Er .. it wasn't mine, I read it in the dentist's waiting room ... er ... honest!) reckons the E280 is a better bet than the 320. Only slightly slower and a fair bit cheaper. Although they tested an E280 Classic, and 320s don't come in that trim.

Wonder why they don't do that tune in the C Class?

jeremytaylor said:
This months What Car (Er .. it wasn't mine, I read it in the dentist's waiting room ... er ... honest!) reckons the E280 is a better bet than the 320. Only slightly slower and a fair bit cheaper. Although they tested an E280 Classic, and 320s don't come in that trim.

They also said that about the E270CDi Classic over the E320CDi's, they go mainly on cost. The E320CDi Avantgarde was (is) a much better car!

RichardM said:
They also said that about the E270CDi Classic over the E320CDi's, they go mainly on cost. The E320CDi Avantgarde was (is) a much better car!

Yes, I'm sure the (old in-line) 320 is/was better than the 270, but does it justify the extra money? Hang on, I'm beginning to sound like a What Car? reader here!! What Car? do have some strange opinions - like a C180K being the best C Class. Hhmmm.

I would love to upgrade my C270 to a new C320, once they become more affordable 2nd hand.

(P.S. I see you drive a 270 rather than a 320)

jeremytaylor said:
(P.S. I see you drive a 270 rather than a 320)

But I know what I'd rather be driving :(

They always choose the classic trim, yet the Avantgarde with half leather, nicer wheels, Xenon lights, dark wood trim is I believe much better value. It is also far more desirable second hand when you come to sell on.

Yes, I agree totally, and they're not that much more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom