Just Ordered a Brand Spanking New Car to arrive 1 week before VAT Rise - Yay!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Gents

please advise:

January 2011

Saturday is 1st Jan
Sunday is 2nd Jan
Monday is 3rd Jan..

Are the car dealers open on any of these days.. and is DVLA able to register a car on any of these days?

Please advise on your thoughts.

I'm in a similar predicament -I would really prefer a 2011 reg date.

I've requested 'personal factory collection' from Bremen on mine and they've given a suggested delivery date of 9th December.

I'm told you make payment to your UK dealer before leaving to collect the car and that would determine the VAT. Once I've picked it up, I have 7 days to return to the UK and am 'advised' to drive straight to the dealership where the car can be PDI'd and registered.

I am peversely hoping mine will be a couple of weeks late, so that I can arrange collection in the week after xmas and hold off my dealer visit/registration until the Monday 4th January. I imagine the Scottish dealers will be off on the monday too, however (still to confirm), as the hangover at hogmonay lasts a 'wee bit' longer:D

I may have lost track a little but is this a car for you Boss or the "run around" that you mentioned that you were looking at for your father?

A dealership can register a car for a year and a week, therefore it would be possible to register the car in December for collection at the beginning of January. However, I would think for him to get the "best" deal, the dealership would want payment in December to get the sale in this years end of quarter figures.

Gents

please advise:

January 2011

Saturday is 1st Jan
Sunday is 2nd Jan
Monday is 3rd Jan..

Are the car dealers open on any of these days.. and is DVLA able to register a car on any of these days?

Please advise on your thoughts.

My car was registered on the 25th December! :)

I may have lost track a little but is this a car for you Boss or the "run around" that you mentioned that you were looking at for your father?

Fathers run around still un-decided, he wants a smart! he has told me! - where he will fit his golf clubs, God knows, but i have suggested a SL, but its bit too pricey and he wants more seats.. arghh.. if you more seats, then how is a bloody smart right. but he does want a car for commuter car parks at the underground, which will get door dings all the time, hence a very small petite car.. i guess thats for another day!

This car is for myself - more for business trips!

A dealership can register a car for a year and a week, therefore it would be possible to register the car in December for collection at the beginning of January. However, I would think for him to get the "best" deal, the dealership would want payment in December to get the sale in this years end of quarter figures.

Hi, But then the car v5 would show date of first registration as 2010, and not 2011? correct?

Considered the Audi A1 for your dad?

December 2010 as Jan would incur the VAT Change!

Saturday is 1st Jan
Sunday is 2nd Jan
Monday is 3rd Jan..

I personally think this is not possible

Vat is payable at the current rate when the invoice is raised and paid. So there is no reason why the invoice can't be raised in December and paid and then the car registered in January.
Your only problem will be if the dealer needs the car registered as proof of sale the MB inorder to get end of year bonuses. But that really is his problem and shouldn't become yours.

The dealer will most likely not invoice the car unless the car is physically with them. There's some laws about invoicing for goods that are not in your possession and I imagine they won't want to fall foul of them. However, there is nothing to stop them taking delivery, invoicing you, you paying them, and then them keeping the car unregistered until the new year.

Mind you, in your shoes, no matter what model it is, I would be so excited I'd be thinking stuff the registration and get me the car as quickly as possible. Experience tells me, it's a short term thrill, and then just a couple of weeks later I'd be wishing I'd waited for the new reg. but I'm certain that's how I'd behave because the excitement overrules the practicalities always :)

Update on the 2010 registration and not the 2011 registration

Hi Dilan,

I have checked with Mercedes Benz Financial Services whether the model year 2011 is possible. In order for this deal to be finalised in Q4 then we have to produce an invoice demonstrating 17.5% Vat. The AFRL certificate would need to be produced also to prove the deal was registered within Q4. Furthermore and most importantly the AFRL system (the government dealer taxation and registration system) is officially closed down Sat 1st Sun 2nd Mon 3rd so the earliest we could register a vehicle would be the 4th hence attracting the 20% VAT.

From the dealer - your thoughts on the above for anyone who is in the know.. is this correct?

It can't be correct... Dealers buy vehicles for stock and they don't register them. I can't imagine that a vehicle has to be registered in order for you to pay for it. However, it seems from the above that you're using Mercedes Benz Financial Services? In which case, they're buying the vehicle, not you, and that's where the complications probably arise. If they're saying to the dealer we will not pay for an unregistered vehicle, then that's where they've got you I think.

^^ Agreed. Just spoke to a friend of mine at Ford and yes, as the finance company will be buying the car (technically) they will most probably want it registered in Q4 and before the VAT rise. Sadly, it looks as if a January 2011 registration is unlikely.. :(

Hi Boss, could you tell me what dealer you found best (cheapest..) and tell me if it was cheaper for you to use merc financial services rather than your bank?

Need to order a new car in the next 7 days or so, so your info would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hi, But then the car v5 would show date of first registration as 2010, and not 2011? correct?

I bought my new car in May. That is when the dealership purchased the road fund licence, but the registration didn't start until June 1st, but I collected the car on Saturday 29th of May, the tax disk runs until 31st of May 2011.

It might be worth checking with the DVLA to see if you could do something similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom