Just picked up my 3rd Merc - this time an 59 E350 Avantgarde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sicario

SUPPORTER
Car
W212 2009 E350 Avantguarde
Before i continue, every safety precaution was taken, with my trusty can of dettol disinfectant spray and kitch roll, everything got wiped.

I decided to get shot of the 2004 W211 320 cdi, was just a money pit, lovely drive but just hasnt been looked after and considering ive only had it 5 weeks and spent £500 on it so far and it still needed another £700-800 spending on it (front balljoint, rear tyres, sbc refurb) to get it right i decided it just wasnt worth the outlay or hassle

So for £6k minus £1000 p/ex i just picked up a 59 plate E350 Avantgarde with 93K, full mot, good mot history, 17" AMG alloys, in dark met grey, drives mint, plugged in my MB2 before i bought it and it brought up a rear central locking failure (dealer sorting), gear selector malfunction (dealer sorting), no other fault codes, no historic codes either, and the dealer is also going to refurb the wheels next week.

I took a steady ish trip back from the dealer and got 33 mpg which i think is pretty good, treated her to £50 of v-power diesel, so now on to the detailing malarky with my trusty clay mitt, some Auto finesse Tripple and just ordered some turtle wax ceramic hybrid polish & wax.

Sorry no excuses stay at home! ESSENTIAL TRAVEL ONLY!!!!!!!!!! People doing things like this why we will all be in lockdown for considerably longer than we would otherwise be. :wallbash:

Sorry, I’ve go to agree with Smiley & CLK above. Going out to buy a car in the current situation is utter madness. Dealer going to refurb alloys next week too??? :wallbash:

Hold on though.....
I just had to help a neighbour buy a car as she is an essential worker (NHS admin) and can no longer get to work as buses are about to stop on the route she needed to get to the General from here allowing for shifts etc - we live in a close a still all talk out front most days

Her last car failed her and was sold as a non runner, so she was saving for a replacement but had no time or energy to look ( her mum advised), so myself and another neighbour scoured the very local social media sites and she and her mum went to view a 12 reg Corsa up at £2,500. She bought it and the owner (in the same estate as us) made sure it was upto spec, thoroughly cleaned and even filled the tank for her once he understood her predicament.

It may be the replacement car above was needed to continue to enable the OP to get to work, so let's not be too quick to judge.

If not though, I do agree and flame on......

Hold on though.....
I just had to help a neighbour buy a car as she is an essential worker (NHS admin) and can no longer get to work as buses are about to stop on the route she needed to get to the General from here allowing for shifts etc - we live in a close a still all talk out front most days

Her last car failed her and was sold as a non runner, so she was saving for a replacement but had no time or energy to look ( her mum advised), so myself and another neighbour scoured the very local social media sites and she and her mum went to view a 12 reg Corsa up at £2,500. She bought it and the owner (in the same estate as us) made sure it was upto spec, thoroughly cleaned and even filled the tank for her once he understood her predicament.

It may be the replacement car above was needed to continue to enable the OP to get to work, so let's not be too quick to judge.

If not though, I do agree and flame on......

Good point well made Mr Fabes. There will be genuine cases I guess. If this is one of them I’ll sin bin myself for an hour. :)

Personally i have no problem with an individual using there own judgement as to what is deemed "essential" travel.

I will be more judgemental however about the financial implications of stopping most of the worlds economy once this is over though. Far more will suffer because of this including NHS funding in future.

Im in the aerospace industry and for reasons i cant disclose i have to be at work, my old merc desperately needed 2 rear tyres and a front ball joint, like NOW.!! And i was unable to get it done in a reasonable time so it was out of convenience and at great cost to myself that i had to get another car. i had only had it 5 weeks and it turned into a money pit, as i said in my OP.

Like mentioned above, quick to judge though eh? Looking back at the last 3-4 weeks, while ive been at work we have practised social distancing and hygiene measures, whilst at home, same, and i stay at home, i havent visited family nor have they visited me, i only shop for essentials when i need them. The only reason im taking the car back next week to have the wheels refurbed is because i want to get them done rather than get fobbed off weeks down the line when the lock-down is lifted, IF the dealer is indeed still trading.

I think the misunderstanding came from your title which made it seem like you own 2 other cars... ;)

I--------------- The only reason im taking the car back next week to have the wheels refurbed is because i want to get them done rather than get fobbed off weeks down the line when the lock-down is lifted, IF the dealer is indeed still trading.

Sorry but that is not really a good reason to get your wheels done now - non essential travel .....:)

You will like the TW product.

Before i continue, every safety precaution was taken, with my trusty can of dettol disinfectant spray and kitch roll, everything got wiped.

I decided to get shot of the 2004 W211 320 cdi, was just a money pit, lovely drive but just hasnt been looked after and considering ive only had it 5 weeks and spent £500 on it so far and it still needed another £700-800 spending on it (front balljoint, rear tyres, sbc refurb) to get it right i decided it just wasnt worth the outlay or hassle

So for £6k minus £1000 p/ex i just picked up a 59 plate E350 Avantgarde with 93K, full mot, good mot history, 17" AMG alloys, in dark met grey, drives mint, plugged in my MB2 before i bought it and it brought up a rear central locking failure (dealer sorting), gear selector malfunction (dealer sorting), no other fault codes, no historic codes either, and the dealer is also going to refurb the wheels next week.

I took a steady ish trip back from the dealer and got 33 mpg which i think is pretty good, treated her to £50 of v-power diesel, so now on to the detailing malarky with my trusty clay mitt, some Auto finesse Tripple and just ordered some turtle wax ceramic hybrid polish & wax.
Dettol is not strong enough.

Ok on the subject of essential and non-essential, where does a DPF regen sit for example?

If we go strictly by the book you cannot drive around while the car is doing a regen. PDF clogs up after another 3 weeks of short trips because say the person needs to go to work etc.

Who is paying for that to be rectified? Is the government, council or local law enforcement paying? Or is the end user going to be shafted?

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Ok on the subject of essential and non-essential, where does a DPF regen sit for example?

If we go strictly by the book you cannot drive around while the car is doing a regen. PDF clogs up after another 3 weeks of short trips because say the person needs to go to work etc.

Who is paying for that to be rectified? Is the government, council or local law enforcement paying? Or is the end user going to be shafted?

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Unless you car has an underlying fault you shouldn’t suffer from any DPF issues as a result of this...

^^^^ Mercedes Benz should be paying for it. They designed the bloody stupid system. Not every diesel MB - or any other car/van - in the world with DPF will do long journeys and be able to 'clean' itself out.

Sorry , my rant does not answer your question but DPF/EGR , Ad Blue and all the other diesel 'cleaning' systems are true engineering bollock$ foisted upon unsuspecting motorists by the crazed rush for 'clean' air and sanctioned by blinkered government Quangos.

Phew ! OK rant over...back to doing sod all.

I’m glad my W212 has a DPF, it has never given me any problems and the system is well designed to regenerate as and when necessary. Diesel particulates are no laughing matter and with the necessity for Diesel engines still present (until electric vehicles become more mainstream and the charging infrastructure improves) we should be doing all we can to minimise the detriment diesel exhaust emissions pose to air quality... systems like DPFs and Urea Injection are helping to achieve this.. just my opinion.

^^^^ Mercedes Benz should be paying for it. They designed the bloody stupid system. Not every diesel MB - or any other car/van - in the world with DPF will do long journeys and be able to 'clean' itself out.

Sorry , my rant does not answer your question but DPF/EGR , Ad Blue and all the other diesel 'cleaning' systems are true engineering bollock$ foisted upon unsuspecting motorists by the crazed rush for 'clean' air and sanctioned by blinkered government Quangos.

Phew ! OK rant over...back to doing sod all.
It is almost as if legislators are trying to make the diesel engine as problematic as they possibly can.

Some may say even obsolescent?

I wonder why.

It is almost as if legislators are trying to make the diesel engine as problematic as they possibly can.

Some may say even obsolescent?

I wonder why.

The systems implemented exist to reduce the effects of diesel exhaust emissions on air quality and overall population health....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom