Just picked up my 3rd Merc - this time an 59 E350 Avantgarde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Communist Chinese regime also shames individuals on a regular basis.

Good - not that I see any individuals shamed in that article

The systems implemented exist to reduce the effects of diesel exhaust emissions on air quality and overall population health....
Would be cleaner to scrap diesel cars and encourage petrol engine cars which are now deemed cleaner than diesel...until the so called green EV cars are sorted....hold on , that's an idea ! But I think someone has had it already. ;)

Planned obsolescence to fit the new green deal. Saving the environment through producing and consuming more new stuff. Who benefits?

I'm very surprised the OP posted this sort of message at this critical time, because he or she must surely have known the response he/she would get. Unless they has been away to the moon for the last few weeks that is.

And as for the many dubious Key workers, does that include people who have been to Yale University?!

Very entertaining! Rural Wales has had very few COVID cases so I can understand a desire to police movements to try and keep it that way. Additionally, I’d imagine there will be a few more drug busts along the way, the rural drug trade must rely on being able to drive about un-noticed. Maybe a few burglaries will be detected too. COVID is a evidently the police’s own good excuse for additional stop and search.

Last edited:
Very entertaining! Rural Wales has had very few COVID cases so I can understand a desire to police movements to try and keep it that way. Additionally, I’d imagine there will be a few more drug busts along the way, the rural drug trade must rely on being able to drive about un-noticed. Maybe a few burglaries will be detected too. COVID is a evidently the police’s own good excuse for additional stop and search.
It is not only rural Wales that has had very few Covid cases it is the same for many regions of the UK.

In the area where i live there are 1208 cases out of a total population of around 800000 people.

In the last 6 days the growth in cases has slowed dramatically with only 262 new cases.

It is not only rural Wales that has had very few Covid cases it is the same for many regions of the UK.

In the area where i live there are 1208 cases out of a total population of around 800000 people.

In the last 6 days the growth in cases has slowed dramatically with only 262 new cases.

Your point being?

... perhaps that there are other regions of the UK in which it could be a very good idea to take tough action to minimise movement?
Ah!

Shame the W211 become a money pit. They drive so well when they are maintained to high standard. They are getting on a bit. Especially the early ones.

Sounds like you got a great deal with your new one btw, congratulations with the newer model.

My view on the stay at home, social distancing and essential travel, as adults we are all entitled to have our own views, we all make calculated decisions on risk everyday of our lives, more and more we have governments and the health and safety wombles taking away our ability to keep ourselves safe by trying to wrap us up in cotton wool, eventually none of will know how to keep safe, we will lose that skill.
The same goes for the situation we now find ourselves, look around the world and you will find different countries having different approaches (who's right who's wrong?) so we have all been told to go to work and keep business and the economy going, if we can't work from home then travel to work is essential, I consider the car to be an essential part of modern living for many people and lets face it much safer than public transport, if I were in a situation where I felt I needed to replace my car as my old one needed a lot of work which I was unable to get done in a reasonable time (it took me over four weeks to get steering rack gaitors for the Viano) then I would weigh up the risk and make an adult, calculated decision, let's face it there is no more risk in buying a car than taking the other in for repairs. The risk level can be based on many things and is likely buying the car has less risk from Coronavirus than standing in a queue at a food shop or collecting decorating material from click and collect at screwfix or b and q.
Now i have been at home for 41/2 weeks, I walk the dog in the morning as usual, I take my eldest son for a bike ride to help his mental health (he is a teenager) our 4 other young children we take out to the field up the road for exercise, we live on the outskirts of any area with very low rates of C and we see hardly anyone else out and about, so I break the rules. but take the decision based on risk, we shop for food online where we can get a slot but avoid going food shopping at the shop as much as we possibly can, why? well because the risks are much higher. What's wrong with staying at your second home? if you are lucky enough to have one, maybe you are keeping a vulnerable person safe whilst you still have to take the risk of going to work. the list goes on, and now you are allowed to drive to a place where you can exercise, makes sense to me, especially if you live in a built up crowded area.
Now my eldest daughter was attacked outside her flat by a neighbour who has given her grief for sometime, she flouted the rules by going within two meters and inflicted black eyes and bruising, I was asked by the police not to go to her aid and they would go out to her, it took over an hour and then they asked me to go as well, when I arrived there were three police huddled together in her flat, no masks or gloves and not keeping their distance, they refused to arrest the attacker as it was not, in their opinion, serious enough and told me to tone it down when I asked them to respect the social distancing, then on the other hand you have police chief threatening to search shopping bags for non essentials, again what is the issue, the biggest risk here is searching the bag and keeping the public out for longer, but its ok to attack someone as that's not serious. If I am asked to go back to work, what option do I have? go back or face being fired, I don't want to go, I feel much safer at home with my family than sitting in the office at work with the heat pumps pumping god knows what around the building through the air ducts.

Common sense is very appropriate at all times, this is no different.

That's the problem. All those people who think that they know better.

I applaud your calculated decision making in the current situation sweeper. That is all we can do to mitigate the circumstances we all find ourselves in. Use our common sense.

I have been cycling every day to keep fit. In my opinion that is common sense. The only way to fight or prevent illness is to eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise not stay cooped up for 23 hrs a day, take pills and wait for a vaccine that may do more harm than good.

One thing of note was the downgrading by HM government of COVID-19 as a high consequence infectious disease. Not been any coverage of this by the media but this government decision was made because COVID-19 mortality rates are classed as LOW.

Well I don't practise social distancing because that means not staying in touch with folks and being a loner. I practise physical distancing.
That means staying 2 metres apart. Having written all of that I must say I've no problem staying home indoors all the time. No I need to go
re-insure the motor...

Before i continue, every safety precaution was taken, with my trusty can of dettol disinfectant spray and kitch roll, everything got wiped.

I decided to get shot of the 2004 W211 320 cdi, was just a money pit, lovely drive but just hasnt been looked after and considering ive only had it 5 weeks and spent £500 on it so far and it still needed another £700-800 spending on it (front balljoint, rear tyres, sbc refurb) to get it right i decided it just wasnt worth the outlay or hassle

So for £6k minus £1000 p/ex i just picked up a 59 plate E350 Avantgarde with 93K, full mot, good mot history, 17" AMG alloys, in dark met grey, drives mint, plugged in my MB2 before i bought it and it brought up a rear central locking failure (dealer sorting), gear selector malfunction (dealer sorting), no other fault codes, no historic codes either, and the dealer is also going to refurb the wheels next week.

I took a steady ish trip back from the dealer and got 33 mpg which i think is pretty good, treated her to £50 of v-power diesel, so now on to the detailing malarky with my trusty clay mitt, some Auto finesse Tripple and just ordered some turtle wax ceramic hybrid polish & wax.

Out of curiosity why did you buy the original car knowing it needed two rear tyres, ball joints plus other faults?

You clearly know something about cars to go equipped with a diagnostic machine to check out the second car and then bought that with existing faults.

................. The only way to fight or prevent illness is to eat a healthy diet and get plenty of exercise not stay cooped up for 23 hrs a day, take pills and wait for a vaccine that may do more harm than good.

& the only way to spread Coviid-19 is to have close contact with people!!! :doh: :wallbash: - If eveybody went out as often and for as long as they pleased they would never get the virus under control.

Beside being utter twats, people who ignore the rules are being selfish and insulting to those that stick to what the government is asking and the people in the NHS struggling to support the sick.

& the only way to spread Coviid-19 is to have close contact with people!!! :doh: :wallbash: - If eveybody went out as often and for as long as they pleased they would never get the virus under control.

Beside being utter twats, people who ignore the rules are being selfish and insulting to those that stick to what the government is asking and the people in the NHS struggling to support the sick.
Covid-19 is not a high consequence infectious disease. This Coronavirus death rate is low. The government are telling you that on there own website. It is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact for you to digest.

Use common sense and keep youself as well as you can in these stressful times, which for many able bodied will mean going outside and exercising.

That is not selfish or an insult to NHS workers.

During yesterdays daily govt briefing with Mr Hancock he stated that in a NORMAL month 10000 people die in old people's homes. That is a NORMAL monthly death rate. Context is important when discussing death rates be they from suicide, accidental death, illness or just old age.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This website is useful for tracking excess mortality

Last edited:
Covid-19 is not a high consequence infectious disease. This Coronavirus death rate is low. The government are telling you that on there own website. It is not a conspiracy theory. It is a fact for you to digest.

Use common sense and keep youself as well as you can in these stressful times, which for many able bodied will mean going outside and exercising.

That is not selfish or an insult to NHS workers.

During yesterdays daily govt briefing with Mr Hancock he stated that in a NORMAL month 10000 people die in old people's homes. That is a NORMAL monthly death rate. Context is important when discussing death rates be they from suicide, accidental death, illness or just old age.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This website is useful for tracking excess mortality

Did you notice the slogan on the front of his lectern? ;)

The Communist Chinese regime also shames individuals on a regular basis.
Shame they don’t Shame themselves !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom