Just polished my 212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Londonscottish

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E500 & Fiat 500
Don't you love a lockdown? Not only have I finally managed to find the time to give the paintwork on my 212 a proper clean and polish my 15 year old son was really willing to help which made the whole process much easier.

- Gave each wheel an initial deep clean using Autoglym wheen cleaner
- Then I used my pressure washer to get rid of half the Sahara from the body work
- Then washed it with Autoglym cleaner (whatever it's called)
- Then dried it with microfibres
- Then tried using a clay mitt (can't remember the brand but didn't like it, prefer a lump of clay tbh)
- Then got my DA out for the first time and machine polished with Autoglym super resin
- Then a coating of Autoglym wax
- Finally, finished off the wheels with some polish, way & Autoglym tyre dressing

Really happy with the results BUT do really do the whole thing justice I'd like to get the wheels off and clean/re-wax the inner rims and get the outsides waxed up properly. But that will do for now.

Next I want to do the leather and engine bay and I have two questions for my OCD friends on here

Q1 I have Autoglym Leather Cleaner & Leather Balm - do you know of something that brings back the leather smell because the Balm doesn't really do that?

Q2 What materials/tools/techniques do you used to get the engine bay cleaned up?

E500
Shiny E500

Re the Engine bay, I just use gt85 on a Rag, You can also use it with a Small paint brush for hard to reach areas. And for all the Plastics Megs Tyre shine stuff works really well.

Gliptone on the Leather but im not sure there still going.

Looks lovely buddy

Re the Engine bay, I just use gt85 on a Rag, You can also use it with a Small paint brush for hard to reach areas.

Excellent, thanks

And for all the Plastics Megs Tyre shine stuff works really well.

Ta

Gliptone on the Leather but im not sure there still going.

Ah, yes, I'd completely forgotten about Gliptone

Looks lovely buddy

Thanks. Thanks - it was very badly needed. And very satisfying.

Looking good :cool:

2nd the Gliptone, it seems to really give the leather a lift and smells naturally like leather (although can smell a bit fumey at first!)

Now you’re up with the whole cleaning thing you can always do more bits as/when you get time - eg wheels off for a deep clean one/two at a time, or go over each panel again with your polisher off you think it needs more work.

By comparison I’m lagging - I’ve managed to wash two of the cars over the weekend, but only got as far as iron fallout remover and taken off some of the small tar spots on my GL. There’s a lot to be said for just getting on with it - and your 212 looks nice (house looks good too!)

Dr Leather spray smells like leather in a bottle. It's just a cleaner but I really rate it. Might be worth a look. :)

Car looks good by the way OP.

Looking good :cool:

2nd the Gliptone, it seems to really give the leather a lift and smells naturally like leather (although can smell a bit fumey at first!)

Yes, I remember it now Merc85 jogged my memory. Found some on Amazon. And a new (microfibre) wheel brush-thingy to replace the shonky old brush I broke yesterday. And some more wheel cleaner.

Now you’re up with the whole cleaning thing you can always do more bits as/when you get time - eg wheels off for a deep clean one/two at a time,

Yes, I was over-analysing it trying to work out how to do multiple wheels/wether to get a trolley jack but doing them one at a time is fine. It's the fronts that really needed it. When I bought them from Woody the Wise I had two refurbed and was able to wax them all inside and out. Really helped stop on the insides of the rims getting stained with brake dust. It really brightens the look of the car when you get them cleaned all the way through as you can see the inners quite clearly.

More generally, on the cleaning front, I want to resume the process of washing it by hand using all the proper stuff. I was doing well until I started a new job in August and my best intentions went out of the window.

or go over each panel again with your polisher off you think it needs more work.

Yes/ TBH I dount I got rid of a lot of the swirls - probably just filled them in.

By comparison I’m lagging - I’ve managed to wash two of the cars over the weekend, but only got as far as iron fallout remover and taken off some of the small tar spots on my GL. There’s a lot to be said for just getting on with it - and your 212 looks nice

Yeah, well I failed on the contamination removal didn't really get on with the mit. Oh well. Other than that I just blocked out something like 4 hours. It did really help having an assitant, though. Much less daunting.

(house looks good too!)

Thanks. Found an amazing brick restoration guy who put the facade back to how it would have looked when it was built. You want to have seen it before - it was grim. He was the brick equivalent of a detailer.[/QUOTE]

E500
Shiny E500

It's nice, but don't you think it's time to update? MB are offering some fantastic deals on low mileage three year old cars.

"Just saying..... If you know what I mean.... and all that."

Great job - fun to do.

It's nice, but don't you think it's time to update? MB are offering some fantastic deals on low mileage three year old cars.

"Just saying..... If you know what I mean.... and all that."

Great job - fun to do.

Tempting though it is to take on a massive financial burden, the lockdown will, unfortunately, prevent me from picking a new one up.

Shame. I'll just have to slum it in what I've got for now :-( :)

Tempting though it is to take on a massive financial burden, the lockdown will, unfortunately, prevent me from picking a new one up. Shame. I'll just have to slum it in what I've got for now :-( :)

There are some great deals out there. More finance than you can shake a stick at. Really. And they'll do home delivery.

(Cough) I'm sure I could help you put down a nice big deposit on your new one....

Bigger Sat nav, new menus, different colour, a bit more bhp.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom