Just purchased 2017 220d amg line estate. Would like to get in touch with other owners.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robdmarsh

Car
2017 w205 220d estate AMG line
Hi
I've just bought one of these and thought I'd reach out to other owners for tips, experiences, do's and don'ts etc. Haven't picked it up yet but went to check it out and test drive it yesterday. Seems like a lovely car in fantastic condition. I narrowly escaped plumping for the 350e but decided against largely from reading a lot of negative stuff on here and other forums online.
I currently drive a w204 220cdi which was a good car and gave me 5 and half great years of service until it started losing power. I think it's the DPF which is at fault and though I paid for a full DPF clean which improved things a bit the car doesn't have the same pep it once had. So one question I have is: how do I avoid this newer 220d suffering the same fate? I never really knew about looking after particulate filters and using additives and such so I'd appreciate any tips on this. What exactly is Addblue and when do I need to add it?
Also, one of the reasons why I'm excited about the car I've bought is that it has the 9 speed gtronic. Can someone explain to me how this is supposed to better than the older 7 speed? Cheers!

There’s nothing wrong with the 7 speed but the 9 speed is beautifully smooth with almost imperceptible gear changes and never gets caught out.
My only criticism is n sport mode where it engages 1st gear and changes suddenly up to second with a jerk.
It’s a lovely box 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

There’s nothing wrong with the 7 speed but the 9 speed is beautifully smooth with almost imperceptible gear changes and never gets caught out.
My only criticism is n sport mode where it engages 1st gear and changes suddenly up to second with a jerk.
It’s a lovely box 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Hi Ted thanks for your reply. Any tips on the keeping the DPF in tip top condition? Also, what kind of real world mpg can I expect? With my outgoing w204 I've been getting an impressive 53.5 mpg over the last 8000 miles.

Long motorway journeys will help keep the DPF clean. Also, some say that regular use of premium Diesel will help as well, though I am not sure if this has been proven.... for what it's worth, I ran a Diesel car for 5 years using only premium Diesel, and had no issues with the DPF - but I have to admit that it's only anecdotal evidence at best.

Reactions: Ted
Long motorway journeys will help keep the DPF clean. Also, some say that regular use of premium Diesel will help as well, though I am not sure if this has been proven.... for what it's worth, I ran a Diesel car for 5 years using only premium Diesel, and had no issues with the DPF - but I have to admit that it's only anecdotal evidence at best.
Thanks. And Addblue?

Assume this is a W205 C Class?
Indeed it is. It's a 2017 so annoyingly the road tax is £180. I understand the earlier models up to 2016 were £30. In fact my old 2013 c220 cdi is only 2013. Surely that engine is more polluting than a w205 from 2017. I find all the specs from different years quite confusing but I suppose this is the same for many car lines when you dig a little deeper. All I know is, having tried inspected it and tried it yesterday, I think I've got a bit of a bargain at £11990. It's 220d AMG line gtronic+ in excellent condition inside and out.

As @markjay says, long runs in these are the best way to keep the dpf etc clean.
Lovely torquey engines but known to have issues with dpf and adblue systems.

Indeed it is. It's a 2017 so annoyingly the road tax is £180. I understand the earlier models up to 2016 were £30. In fact my old 2013 c220 cdi is only 2013. Surely that engine is more polluting than a w205 from 2017. I find all the specs from different years quite confusing but I suppose this is the same for many car lines when you dig a little deeper. All I know is, having tried inspected it and tried it yesterday, I think I've got a bit of a bargain at £11990. It's 220d AMG line gtronic+ in excellent condition inside and out.

I am not sure that it's the model year that makes the difference - AMG Line cars will have wider wheels, and the standard car is very close to the upper limit so it doesn't take much to tip it over into the next tax bracket - see also:

I had a 2015 c220 premium plus estate from new...was fantastic...except the airmatic suspension kept messing about at 7 years old...so I got rid..it was a super car and faultless other than the drivers seat squab falling apart at low miles just out of warranty and the external door handle lights failing...got some goodwill frfom the dealer though...I loved that car but kept it too long...I bought a VW Taigo 1.0 tsi R Line Auto and no longer miss the Merc Suprisingly..Enjoy the car but beware of the nox sensors...

Indeed it is. It's a 2017 so annoyingly the road tax is £180.

If the car was registered on/after 1st April 2017 you pay a flat rate of £180 from the second year.

The killer though is a surcharge of £390 if the full list price when new was over £40k. Not sure whether that applied to your car or not but I think you'd be just outside the period it runs for anyway (5 years from the start of the second road tax year). We have a 2019 C300 petrol (bought used), and the road tax on that is £180 + £390 = £570.

If the car was registered on/after 1st April 2017 you pay a flat rate of £180 from the second year.

The killer though is a surcharge of £390 if the full list price when new was over £40k. Not sure whether that applied to your car or not but I think you'd be just outside the period it runs for anyway (5 years from the start of the second road tax year). We have a 2019 C300 petrol (bought used), and the road tax on that is £180 + £390 = £570.
The one I'm buying thankfully did not cost that much new so the ridiculous surcharge does not apply. How do you find the C300?

Just the fact that it uses Adblue would have me looking to buy a different car .
What's the problem with Adblue? I know nothing about it.

What is NOT the problem would be an easier question to answer.

The basic answer is never buy a used car that has an Adblue system ....especially a Mercedes Benz.

A few hours research online is required. Or just on this forum .

Don't buy it.

The basic answer is never buy a used car that has an Adblue system ....especially a Mercedes Benz.

Don't buy it.
That’s a little harsh though?

As an example we bought a used 2017 C300h diesel estate in 2020. 46k miles. It’s now on 60k miles (so we do less than 5k pa). Although we had a few issues with the car initially not one of them were engine/diesel/adblue related. Just over 6 years old and faultless.

Don't buy it.
Bit late for that. So you're basically saying all diesel cars made after 2016 are not worth buying?!

Bit late for that. So you're basically saying all diesel cars made after 2016 are not worth buying?!

Firstly, this only applies to cars equipped with the AdBlue system (smaller Diesel engines manage to meet EU6 emissions standards without it). Then, MB cars seem to fair worst than others in that department.

Obviously, not all MB Diesel cars equipped with the AdBlue system suffer issues, but the statistical risk is always there.

Since you've already bought the car, my suggestion would be to keep it, and get a good mechanical breakdown warranty that covers also the AdBlue system and have sufficient claim limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom