Just put a deposit on a used GL420CDI...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Donkin

Car
'57 plate ML420CDI
Seduced by the silky smooth and lusty nature of the Mercedes 4 litre v8 diesel, I have succumbed to peer (aka Wife) pressure and put a deposit on a used GL420CDI today.

It's a single owner FMBSH car with just over 100,000 miles on the clock and has (from the look of the invoices with the car), been fastidiously maintained regardless of cost and this was apparent from my test drive prior to taking the plunge.

It's always bee serviced by the same dealership and whilst I viewed it in Leicester, it will be returning to Surrey where it has lived all its life. The 211 is staying, however the R-Class will be on its way when our 'new' car arrives - I have really enjoyed our short time with the R (7 months) and really hope this time the Wife will not want to change cars again so quickly given the R now wants for nothing...

I keep flirting with the V8 CDi engine, but I just can't seem to find the vehicle to float my boat.

They can make a big lump shift, can't they...

Nice. Sort of wish MB still offered a genuinely hot Diesel engine across the larger cars in the range, though I guess with the current generation of twin turbo v6s the days of the v8 diesel are numbered. Would be interested to know if you compared with the 4.2tdi Q7 which I guess is the obvious competitor.

They can make a big lump shift, can't they...

This is what will kill any potential 'economy' - my Wife, traffic lights and some car next to her that she takes a dislike to and the red mist will descend!

It's a quick motor by any standards and incredibly refined in the cabin too.

Congratulations, that's what I spent a while trying to justify. I also wanted to try out the V8 Diesel and felt the GL was the car to try it out in! Unfortunately in my case, my wife was completly against the idea citing the fact that she felt it was too large.

Nice. Sort of wish MB still offered a genuinely hot Diesel engine across the larger cars in the range, though I guess with the current generation of twin turbo v6s the days of the v8 diesel are numbered. Would be interested to know if you compared with the 4.2tdi Q7 which I guess is the obvious competitor.

I previously had an A8 4.0 TDI Quattro - my D6 chipped E320 has similar power to that whilst the Merc 4.0 CDI has over 300bhp and 516ft lbs of torque... I just hope the 7g is beefed up in the GL (but I did take a good 12 month warranty to be sure).

Audi have a V12 diesel they put in the Q7 (in very limited numbers) - that must be a hoot!

Congratulations, that's what I spent a while trying to justify. I also wanted to try out the V8 Diesel and felt the GL was the car to try it out in! Unfortunately in my case, my wife was completly against the idea citing the fact that she felt it was too large.

I like the 530GT, but it just won't cater for our three kids (BMW don't offer anything that will); BMW did do a v8 diesel at one point IIRC, but it never made it to the UK.

I know this is really just a part of her cunning plan to get back into a Full Fat Range Rover, but that's many years off. Sometimes, having a petrol head Wife is not a good thing, just sometimes...

I previously had an A8 4.0 TDI Quattro - my D6 chipped E320 has similar power to that whilst the Merc 4.0 CDI has over 300bhp and 516ft lbs of torque...

I've been browsing the slightly newer Audi A8 4.2 V8 TDi and that has 326bhp, it's not a case of if, but when...

I had my wife test drive a GL and she was ok with its bulk and length until she turned round to look through the tailgate glass to reverse and remarked that it seems a very long way away!

I've been browsing the slightly newer Audi A8 4.2 V8 TDi and that has 326bhp, it's not a case of if, but when...

If you enjoy fast sweeping A roads, I'd really advise against it - the newer 4.2's are mighty quick (and getting cheaper), but they score nil points for driving enjoyment and the ride quality, despite being on air springs, is appalling.

Maybe the Michelin PAX (run flats) tainted my experience, but the steering feel is more real on my Logitech G25.

The A8 above all other cars is the one that seduced me with build quality, cabin, gadgets and its v8 diesel engine, yet I loathed it on almost every non-motorway mile.

I really like these, I'm not sure if I would go for one over the ML but if you need the space, what a great car!!.
Do many of them have the off road pack?.

Having enjoyed a 5 day loan of a 61 reg GL450 a year or so ago, I can confirm that there will be one in my life at some point, probably as a toy hauler and 2nd car.

Enjoy, let us know when you've got it.

Ian Donkin said:
I know this is really just a part of her cunning plan to get back into a Full Fat Range Rover, but that's many years off. Sometimes, having a petrol head Wife is not a good thing, just sometimes...

Oooh, full fat RR that's on my to do list too!

At least she appreciates / supports it. I was trying to convince my wife that we could do with a 500E or W124 E36 in our lives but she just doesn't 'get' older Mercs. She's with me on the. 911 idea though :)

If you enjoy fast sweeping A roads, I'd really advise against it - the newer 4.2's are mighty quick (and getting cheaper), but they score nil points for driving enjoyment and the ride quality, despite being on air springs, is appalling.

Maybe the Michelin PAX (run flats) tainted my experience, but the steering feel is more real on my Logitech G25.

The A8 above all other cars is the one that seduced me with build quality, cabin, gadgets and its v8 diesel engine, yet I loathed it on almost every non-motorway mile.

Thanks for that, it's good for me to hear from someone that's owned an A8 and a W211, it'll give me a good gauge.

Oooh, full fat RR that's on my to do list too!

At least she appreciates / supports it. I was trying to convince my wife that we could do with a 500E or W124 E36 in our lives but she just doesn't 'get' older Mercs. She's with me on the. 911 idea though :)

I've had a FFRR, great car, would gladly have another, I'm still not sure about the new one though, nice car but £100ks worth?, no thanks,still given the way they depreciate they will be quite affordable in a couple of years time.

. She's with me on the. 911 idea though :)

So when we met, she had a 1968 short wheel base 911L and I had a '72 model year 911 2.4T (and a 993)... We went to Goodwood for one of the breakfast clubs and I said how much I liked the 996 Turbo (at the time). A week later my E61 530d had morphed into a 996 Turbo and our relationship was cemented!

The problem is, we are as bad as one another!

I really like these, I'm not sure if I would go for one over the ML but if you need the space, what a great car!!.
Do many of them have the off road pack?.

I looked at quite a few and numerous had the sump guards and other off-road kit; unless we go sea-wading again (we did in our RR), I'm unlikely to use it, but the highest ride setting is pretty impressive.

I looked at quite a few and numerous had the sump guards and other off-road kit; unless we go sea-wading again (we did in our RR), I'm unlikely to use it, but the highest ride setting is pretty impressive.

The ML and I'm nearly certain the GL too had something called the Off Road or Off Road Pro pack which was adjustable air suspension and low range gearbox, basically with this option they would be nearly as good as a Range Rover off road, and most likely more reliable!!.

My GL320 had the off road pro pack, i thought it was standard kit.

I know it's optional on the ML, not sure on the GL though.

Every one I've seen has the adjustable height suspension and various diff settings, plus a hill descent mode, but I've not noticed the low box option yet... We should get it on Monday, so I will have a look then.

One thing I have noticed is that the gearbox options are S or M (no C) and the switches on the back of the steering wheel are not rockers (as per the R), but one way only with that on the left changing down and that on the right changing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom