Just querying an engine fitment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NW_Merc

Banned
Car
1994 Mercedes C180 classic
Is it possible to fit an engine from a car with a manual transmission to one with an automatic? Say I had a C230K with a manual transmission but wanted to transfer the engine to another car with an automatic for example.

Is it possible to fit an engine from a car with a manual transmission to one with an automatic? Say I had a C230K with a manual transmission but wanted to transfer the engine to another car with an automatic for example.

Yes a straight swap, spigot bearing will need to come out though (easy enough).

Yes a straight swap, spigot bearing will need to come out though (easy enough).

And you'll need to swap the drive plate on the auto for the flywheel on the manual engine. Other than that it should be a straight swap.

err hold on, an auto box on a modernish car like that will need wiring vacuum pipes and maybe other gubbins depending on age.

err hold on, an auto box on a modernish car like that will need wiring vacuum pipes and maybe other gubbins depending on age.

Yes, sorry I didnt mention ancilliaries, I was just asking that if both cars were side by side could the manual engine be made to fit an auto box

If its one of the electronic 5 speed autos the gearbox ECU may need to communicate with the main engine ECU--- which is coded to the ignition switch etc [ depending on age] The engine ECU's may be different also between the auto and manual boxes. Different advance curves/wiring loom etc. If you are talking about an older design 4 speed hydraulic box things will be easier but may require minor changes to the throttle linkage and a vacuum line from the inlet manifold and some wiring changes for the gear select mechanism.

I may be wrong but I cant see how the ecu's etc would be an issue. If i understand you correctly your wanting to use the engine out of a manual car into an automatic car with a defunct engine. Engine out, couple of bits to swap , engine in . Should be easy ,its not like youre trying to convert a manual car to automatic or vise versa, then you probably would have issues with the ecu's.

I may be wrong but I cant see how the ecu's etc would be an issue. If i understand you correctly your wanting to use the engine out of a manual car into an automatic car with a defunct engine. Engine out, couple of bits to swap , engine in . Should be easy ,its not like youre trying to convert a manual car to automatic or vise versa, then you probably would have issues with the ecu's.

Exactly, a straight forward swap over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom