Just querying an engine fitment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NW_Merc

Banned
Car
1994 Mercedes C180 classic
Is it possible to fit an engine from a car with a manual transmission to one with an automatic? Say I had a C230K with a manual transmission but wanted to transfer the engine to another car with an automatic for example.

Is it possible to fit an engine from a car with a manual transmission to one with an automatic? Say I had a C230K with a manual transmission but wanted to transfer the engine to another car with an automatic for example.

Yes a straight swap, spigot bearing will need to come out though (easy enough).

err hold on, an auto box on a modernish car like that will need wiring vacuum pipes and maybe other gubbins depending on age.

err hold on, an auto box on a modernish car like that will need wiring vacuum pipes and maybe other gubbins depending on age.

Yes, sorry I didnt mention ancilliaries, I was just asking that if both cars were side by side could the manual engine be made to fit an auto box

If its one of the electronic 5 speed autos the gearbox ECU may need to communicate with the main engine ECU--- which is coded to the ignition switch etc [ depending on age] The engine ECU's may be different also between the auto and manual boxes. Different advance curves/wiring loom etc. If you are talking about an older design 4 speed hydraulic box things will be easier but may require minor changes to the throttle linkage and a vacuum line from the inlet manifold and some wiring changes for the gear select mechanism.

I may be wrong but I cant see how the ecu's etc would be an issue. If i understand you correctly your wanting to use the engine out of a manual car into an automatic car with a defunct engine. Engine out, couple of bits to swap , engine in . Should be easy ,its not like youre trying to convert a manual car to automatic or vise versa, then you probably would have issues with the ecu's.

I may be wrong but I cant see how the ecu's etc would be an issue. If i understand you correctly your wanting to use the engine out of a manual car into an automatic car with a defunct engine. Engine out, couple of bits to swap , engine in . Should be easy ,its not like youre trying to convert a manual car to automatic or vise versa, then you probably would have issues with the ecu's.

Exactly, a straight forward swap over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom