Just remind me if this outer edge wear is normal please...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

such01

SUPPORTER
Car
E350 CDI W212
I'm sure I remember reading that W212's front tyres wear quicker on the outer edges - Is this normal and ok to continue for a while. The drivers side was slightly worse so I have swapped them around for now.. The rest of the tyre is fine with around 4mm all round. Rears are worn evenly too. tyre fitter suggested an alignment issue, but not sure as WIM suggested this is normal for the setup...that was 2 years ago...
thanks

tyre.jpg

If you have swapped both fronts over with each other, are they directional, is there an arrow on the sidewall showing the direction of travel?

Hmmm, I've heard of this on some AMGs which have a more aggressive set up but IIRC the excess wear is on the inside. Do you chuck it hard into tight corners?
It may be alignment and / or camber. Not expensive
I had my set up checked recently (CLS55AMG).
Intial check FOC
Front wheel alignment £30
Rear alignment not needed but would be +£20
Camber adjust not needed but would be £30

Hmmm, I've heard of this on some AMGs which have a more aggressive set up but IIRC the excess wear is on the inside. Do you chuck it hard into tight corners?
It may be alignment and / or camber. Not expensive
I had my set up checked recently (CLS55AMG).
Intial check FOC
Front wheel alignment £30
Rear alignment not needed but would be +£20
Camber adjust not needed but would be £30

I don't chuck it around - It did this even after I had wheel alignment at WIM, where the alignment was perfect.
Had the car for 4+yrs now and it's always done this..

I don't chuck it around - It did this even after I had wheel alignment at WIM, where the alignment was perfect.
Had the car for 4+yrs now and it's always done this..

Maybe bump the tyre pressures up a bit, towards the high speed/full load figures? This should bias wear more towards the centre. My Vito wore down the outer edges of the fronts from new - 4 wheel alignment helped, but I do run slightly higher pressures now as well.

I had a bit of edge wear on both fronts when I bought the car so I swapped them with the rears keeping rotational direction the same.

Hard cornering gets the blame for outer edge wear but I think tyre scrub from a lot of full lock manoeuvres takes a toll as well. I have to do a 3 point turn on the majority of trips so I make a point of alternating between left and right turns to even out the wear.

Actually, thinking about it I do a right full lock reverse manouvre every time I park on the drive. It's the drivers side that wears the fastest on the outer edge...
I'll get an alignment check before I have the new tyres fitted.
Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom