Just seen my first X6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
BMW's new X6. And what a goddamn awful looking car. Not because I am anti-Bemmer or aything like that. It is terrible. I am not that keen on the X5 - which is 100 times more preferable as its at least practical. This X6 ALMOST MADE ME LAUGH. In trying to be all things to all people it fails on every aspect. Its just looks so WRONG.
Apologies to any and all out there in MB Clubland who has one, but its only my opinion remember.

Last edited:
I can't get why people would pay over the odds for a car that has the practicality of a coupe without the handling benefits of a coupe and/or the driving characteristics of a 4x4 without the practical benefits.

its actually larger (length wise and width wise) than an X5 but less practical. I liked my X5's but the new model to me isn't as good and a saloon offers me more but not everyone.

I am not anti 4x4 but I don't see why folk would want this one

I like BMWs, 4x4s and hugely powerful cars in general, but God knows why anyone would want a high riding 4x4 with coupe pretensions?!

Surely a more pointless automotive niche doesn't exist?

Destined mainly for the American Market? here's where they're made in Spartanburg (no I'm not kidding ;) ) South Carolina. http://www.bmwusfactory.com/#/manufacturing/
the virtual factory tour is worth a look if you can stand the breathless enthusiasm of the US commentary.

Last edited:
I've also seen one on the roads - it's hideous!

As much as I'd like to slate the X5, it's not a bad looking car I guess, I can't say the same about the X6...

Will

I couldn't really see the point of 4x4's in this country at all before owning an ML. It is not as quick, quiet or frugal as the E estate, but it does compensate with a great ride, practicality and journey comfort.
But to give that type of car sporting pretensions and then make it that ugly is a niche to far!:eek:

I've also seen one on the roads - it's hideous!

As much as I'd like to slate the X5, it's not a bad looking car I guess, I can't say the same about the X6...

Will

Yes. The X5 is quite a nice looking car of its type. Good proportions and does its job OK. Not as OK as a RR or a Disco, but thats me.
My 20 year old son adores X5's and he would love me to get one. But generally 4x4's dont float my boat. I am not a farmer or a caravan lugger, so why would I want one?
But the X6 is strange. I cannot imagine who would look at this want to part with the thick end of £50K or maybe more.
Wrong on so many counts I wouldnt know where to start.

Well, give me £50k and I'll show you what it looks like for someone to pay 50K for one.

I'd brutally murder everyone in this room for an X6, the V8 turbo one of course.

It's the ultimate tosser wagon. :cool:

I saw my first one last night actually, but it was dark and so not the best view, and I'll reserve proper judgment until I've seen one in proper daylight, but I kinda like it.

I admit, I'm really not sure I can see what market it's aimed at as its not exactly going to be an off-road champion [1] and it's hardly a car of the times, as none of them are fuel efficient[2] or good on emissions but that said I do think it looks nice (or as shude said at the time, purposeful) and I like the coupe'ish pretensions over an X5.

also, I think the back end looks good, which is a nice change for a modern BMW :)

obviously I can't afford such things, but I wouldn't be averse to having one myself.

but hey, if we all had the same opinions, then the world would be boring.

dave

[1] not on it's 20 inch rims... hmm.. I wonder, has anyone got a chelsea tractor like the X5 and put decent off-road tyres on it? if so, can it play off-road? I accept it wouldn't be up to RR/defender standards, but I wonder if it could at least hold it's own? ahh, probably not

[2] I notice that BMW have announced their first proper entrant into the hybrid market. obviously the great fuel economy and emissions gains they've been making recently haven't been enough and they've decided to properly take care of the green front by making a hybrid 7 series. a 120volt motor with some batteries hooked into a *ahem* 4.4 litre, twin turbo V8. can't let lexus have that "green", congestion charge beating, luxury, fuel gulping power-barge niche to itself...

Last edited:
Someone I know has gone from an E320cdi Aavantgarde estate to the 635d sport coupe, it was not big enough so he now has the 3.5xd X6.

You can not say that thing doesn't handle well, it handles as well as the 635d and his is tuned so is now as quick as the standard 635d was too.

I had and ML and that put me off 4x4's for life, but this X6 thing is absolutely stunning, I wouldn't own one because I prefer the looks of an estate, but he was keeping up with me on the twisties and I was in my M3.

Someone else I know also has one, he swapped his ML63 for one and he too is absolutely raving about it as well, speed and economy are great, but the main thing is the way this thing handles.

I must be one of the only people who like how they look then... they remind me of a lion for some reason.. ready to pounce.

And as someone said previously, the 4.4 twinturbo (something or other) sound teh s3x :).

Someone I know has gone from an E320cdi Aavantgarde estate to the 635d sport coupe, it was not big enough so he now has the 3.5xd X6.

You can not say that thing doesn't handle well, it handles as well as the 635d and his is tuned so is now as quick as the standard 635d was too.

I had and ML and that put me off 4x4's for life, but this X6 thing is absolutely stunning, I wouldn't own one because I prefer the looks of an estate, but he was keeping up with me on the twisties and I was in my M3.

Someone else I know also has one, he swapped his ML63 for one and he too is absolutely raving about it as well, speed and economy are great, but the main thing is the way this thing handles.

I still think a 335d saloon/coupe/touring would out handle the X6. I suspect he was working the X6 harder than you were your M3. It will handle well I don't doubt as chassis technology has moved on a long way for large cars, but it has for sports cars too, but the laws of physics still remain.

If on a spirited run you were to swerve in your M3 you may spin it, in an X6 you may topple it so safety comes into place to. I don't like/care much for coupes so I'd have a 3 estate/5 estate over an X6 any day, and with change I'd put in the bank, like the meanie that I am

Any vehicle with a high centre of gravity is inherently less stable than one with a lower CofG. Which is why many FAST cars have boxer type engines. Its to keep the CofG as low as possible. The original problem with the A class and now most 4x4'S - even those with ESP and the like.
An X3/5/6 will never handle as well as a 3/5 or 6 series saloon.

Last edited:
Some admissions here. I have an X5 (yes, a non Mercedes) - its wife's car, and we have it because
a) We car share every day, and need 7 seats
b) My wife much prefers the high up position, and ever since she had a high up car she has had no accidents
c) Its a diesel one, and we get a bit better than the old car in terms of MPG - but not by a lot more than the price difference of diesel vs petrol .. (01 ML500, currently on Autotrader)

She was really hacked off to have to change from Mercedes, but MB just dont have a 7 seat worth having (R class they've crammed one small one in, and GL is just too big for UK)

As we live near Sunningdale, we saw loads of X6s a couple of months back as they were used to shuttle corporate people around for the golf earlier in the year at Wentworth.

We looked at the X6 very briefly, but it only has 4 seats !!! Personally I think BMW just made the "R Class" mistake - ie something that is big and just not practical and they will sell virtually none of them.

Back to the X5 - I took a long time accepting that we need another large 4WD vehicle given that its like throwing £50 notes out the window..

One other BMW/Mercedes comment - the X5 is the 3.0 litre twin turbo and is not in the top emissions group. Why cant Mercedes get their emissions grouping lower ? (I know the £200 different is far less that the depreciation)
We also have the adaptive suspension on the X5 and it handles significantly better that the 4WD mercs - and with the adaptive suspension it is as comfortable on straight roads. (without it the X5 is a bone shaker). As verytalldave says, it will never be as good as a low CofG car - and you have to be aware that high CofG cars are slightly less safe on motorways than low ones (unless you are in a low one and get hit by a truck)

Richard

[edit, ps I cant quite bring myself to update my profile to admit the prescence of a non Mercedes on my drive]

Seen the one X6

Ugly, impractical car with a depreciation graph that will make Trango Towers look like a modest incline.

Will be superb value in 3 years but will still have masses of depreciation to go.

I fail to see what exactly the point of this car is:confused: ...but then I am not the shineist button on the jacket anyway.

I think you can guess by now that I am not a fan.

An X3/5/6 will never handle as well as a 3/5 or 6 series saloon.

no, but to a certain extent, it doesn't need to. you're right that a lower CofG will make the car more stable when cornering, but the X5 and 6 do have much more ground clearance and it's a different type of car.

also, all the reviews I've read seem to say that the X6 has a very good 4wd system (upgraded from the x5 and the x saloons), and it might be interesting to see such a thing properly make it's way onto the saloons. not that we'll see it here. BMW don't seem to want to sell the x saloons to us brits.

dave

Last edited:
edit, ps I cant quite bring myself to update my profile to admit the prescence of a non Mercedes on my drive
If you slip me a few quid I'll try to resist updating it for you... ;)

Seen a few now. I was actually behind one last week and the bottom of the rear screen look as though it was the same height as the top of windscreen!!

Reverse parking would be tough without sensors, and children at the rear of the car will be even more difficult to see than a regular SUV. I wonder if they get rear cameras as standard?

Pedestrian safety during low speed manouveres is something we should all be acutely aware of now - even saloon/hatch/estate drivers - as more car parks have painted lines directly behind parked cars marked for pedestrian use.

On a related note, but off topic - I was sat in a multi-storey car park on Saturday, waiting for someone to vacate a parking space. The car behind had anticipated what was happening and had left extra space to allow me to back up to manouvere into the space.

I engaged reverse and as I was steadily edging backward I noticed a family (with buggy) on my nearside, who had up until then been obscured by a row of parked cars. So I pause - still in reverse - and the family walks straight through the gap between me and the car behind without looking.

When he was directly behind my car he looked at the back of my car for the first time an noticed the reverse lights - I had a perfect view of his face through my rear view mirror. He then shouted "Oi" with an angry expression - presumably because he thought I hadn't looked?

Had he looked ahead he would have noticed that (A) I was manouvering (B) already had reverse engaged (from rear lights) and (C) there was a risk ahead for his family. Increasingly it seems that pedestrians now take less responsibility for their safety.

Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom