Just seen one of the ugliest cars ever....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Happytalk73 said:
I just hate the silly excuses drivers of these monsters come out with. We need a big car because we have kids and a dog, and we go camping, Blar Blar Blar Blar............... Plenty of estate cars out there that are just as good for that. IMO it's an ego thing. Look at me, I'm powerful, successful and much much better than you!!! Rant over. :D

I don't get it either, buy a transporter, better at everything, job done.

It's when they pull up next to you at a junction and you can't see over their bonnet, at what's coming, that annoys me...

So, you are annoyed by vans and lorries too? No, probably not, just cars bigger than yours. So many chips, so little salt.

Are you more annoyed if its a mum on the school run, but less annoyed if its a farmer visiting the big city? How can you tell?

I remember a programme on TV showing how dangerous 4x4s were because of the limited view through the RVM...vans don't have RVMs nor rear windows for the most part...and are considerably bigger than even a FFRR. Lefty nonsense.

Last edited:
I used to think exactly the same right up until the last couple of years but as my family are growing I find myself believing in the SUV.

I've got three kids, eldest thirteen, youngest still in a booster seat. I've tried every estate car that I liked and all of them are compromised when you're using five seats. Middle seat usually has a transmission tunnel to contend with, is raised in the middle where the other two are gently scalloped for the executive bottom. Anything more than an hour or so turns into a bicker-fest over who sits in the middle (never the youngest as she has her booster).

Throw the fact that my Mum now lives locally, doesn't drive and often joins us on family outings an estate simply doesn't give the extra seat we need. I suppose I could get a people carrier... ...but it's a people carrier.

To call them 'bully cars' and dismiss everyone who owns one as a fraudulent attention-seeker is a bit sweeping.
I have a similar situation as you and my 7 seat S211 does the job perfectly. It ain't a people carrier and it ain't ugly.

So, you are annoyed by vans and lorries too? No, probably not, just cars bigger than yours. So many chips, so little salt.

Are you more annoyed if its a mum on the school run, but less annoyed if its a farmer visiting the big city? How can you tell?

I remember a programme on TV showing how dangerous 4x4s were because of the limited view through the RVM...vans don't have RVMs nor rear windows for the most part...and are considerably bigger than even a FFRR. Lefty nonsense.

I could've easily bought a 'bigger' car with my money... I'm not interested in that

Generally a van or a Lorry has a reason to be bigger... The load that it's carrying --- It serves a purpose, rather than just to transport someone who prefers to look down on people... With one kid in the back...

Last edited:
I could've easily bought a 'bigger' car with my money... I'm not interested in that

Generally a van or a Lorry has a reason to be bigger... The load that it's carrying --- It serves a purpose rather than just to transport someone who prefers to look down on people... With one kid in the back...

There you go again...they're looking down on me...vinegar? You still can't see up the road.

I must admit though I'm not that different to you really, when I'm in my Porsche people like you are always obstructing my view up the road.

See...silly argument isn't it?

Last edited:
A lot of these SUVs though are surprisingly small inside compared to their road footprint. And they are usually hideous, just large boxes. Audi Qs are simply minging. And whoever designed the Fiat 500L must have been blind. Citroen Cactus? Really?

Can't say they've ever appealled to me. I'd have an estate every time if I needed more size.

a lot of these suvs though are surprisingly small inside compared to their road footprint. And they are usually hideous, just large boxes. Audi qs are simply minging. And whoever designed the fiat 500l must have been blind. Citroen cactus? Really?

Can't say they've ever appealled to me. I'd have an estate every time if i needed more size.

iyo.

My daughter really likes the Cactus.

iyo.

My daughter really likes the Cactus.

Does your daughter still draw with crayon's? All joking aside if someone is buying a car/truck/\MPV they are entitled to buy what they like/feel safe driving so stop being so judgemental and get over it!

Tony.

There you go again...they're looking down on me...vinegar? You still can't see up the road.

I must admit though I'm not that different to you really, when I'm in my Porsche people like you are always obstructing my view up the road.

See...silly argument isn't it?

It's not a silly argument... It's nothing to do with them looking down on me... It's to do with their big pointless bonnet on their w@nk-tank -- in the way of my view...

Does your daughter still draw with crayon's? All joking aside if someone is buying a car/truck/\MPV they are entitled to buy what they like/feel safe driving so stop being so judgemental and get over it!

Tony.

Sorry yes- I do completely agree, your money, your choice.

I do feel though style seems to have done a runner these days.

The fact that you can make a 300C look like a Bentley with a stick-on grille says more about how far Bentley have dropped than anything else.

The first car I have proper memories of is my Dad's p6 Rover V8. It looked good and sounded good.

It's not a silly argument... It's nothing to do with them looking down on me... It's to do with their big pointless bonnet on their w@nk-tank -- in the way of my view...

Apologies I was just quoting you.

Generally a van or a Lorry has a reason to be bigger... The load that it's carrying --- It serves a purpose, rather than just to transport someone who prefers to look down on people... With one kid in the back...

I had a loaner GLE a few weeks back while some warranty work was done on my E63.

Now the W212 isn't small by any stretch of the imagination, but on my drive the GLE was enormous! I know I'm not that tall (5' 8") but I couldn't reach the top centre of the windscreen to spray it with de-icer... On the road it was quite pleasant to drive, and I often found I was travelling faster than I would in the E63 due to the isolation from the road. Obviously it wasn't going to go around corners like the E63, but it wasn't as unwieldy as you might expect. Having said that, on some road surfaces the fore and aft pitching motion was a bit like riding on the top deck of a bus. It was also great for getting a view over hedgerows and people's front fences / walls :D

One of the people who works for me has a current Disco and what surprised me was that side by side the GLE and the Disco are almost identical length, width and height, yet the GLE looked much bigger.

While I can't say that I'd ever want one (although a GLE63 would be a bit of a hoot), I can understand why they're popular with some people - and that's nothing to do with the size (or otherwise) of their appendage.

Apologies I was just quoting you.

No need to apologise...

That's often why THEY buy them.. Which results in them blocking the view of the road

They could drive a pirate ship and climb to the top of the mast, for all I care... As long as it was made of see through material that doesn't block my view of the road...

That's often why THEY buy them.. Which results in them blocking the view of the road

They could drive a pirate ship and climb to the top of the mast, for all I care... As long as it was made of see through material that doesn't block my view of the road...

You lost the argument when you said they look down on you.

You lost the argument when you said they look down on you.
I never said that annoyed me.. I said that was probably their motive for buying said vehicle...

And I wasn't aware I was in an argument

You give yourself too much credit. ;-)

Ugly cars need love too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom