Just serviced - 9300 miles now on countdown

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
Took the CLS for its first service today at the main dealer. Very impressed, quoted price of £239 was what I paid and there was no £1000 list of additional advisory jobs. Came out sparkling clean inside and out and they used some nice furniture polish on the wood.

Anyway, upshot is the beast is in good shape and I have retained the Mobilo / what's left of the Tier 1 warranty.

Two odd things though:
1) Got in the car and the countdown to next service shows 9,300 (I thought these should display about 15,500 when just serviced)?
2) The service guy asked where my service book was to stamp it but I wasn't provided with one when I purchased the car last year - was told it is now an electronic record when I bought the car. The servicing dealer said I should have one. Who is right? Car is Dec 2007 model.

Did you get the timing gear/sensor fault resolved. I was following your threads with interest.

Appreciate your interest.

It went in twice for this - once at supplying dealer who I feel was a little economical with the truth with me initially about a couple of things. The initial diagnosis of duff timing gear was apparently wrong which did tie in with the engine number being way after the affected batch. They changed a cam sensor which was leaking oil (this is reported to be the only issue on the revised engines). But 600 miles later the engine warning light was back.

So I went to a completely different dealer in a different group, acted dumb (this bit wasn't hard :) ) and got a full diagnosis again. The other cam sensor was leaking oil now. They changed it and 4000 miles later everything is still spot on with no signs of trouble so fingers crossed it is all sorted. I haven't heard of any reports of timing gear issues on the updated engine numbers so this is a good sign.

I was promised an additional 12 months of Tier 1 warranty for some problems I experienced and how this issue was handled. I still haven't got any paperwork for this yet but hopefully they will stick to their word.

Should add - when I was in the second dealer for the second diagnosis they showed me some detailed printouts of how the timing was adjusting through the rpm range I think - all looked very complicated. Apparently this was all working fully to spec. This dealer had no reason to try to wriggle out of any warranty work going either as the initial one may have done immedeately after purchase.

The service interval is set in the cluster.

It would on some models ask the grade that was used & reset it to the higher mileage interval.
On others that did not have this option it had to be reset through the assist menu in the instrument cluster via Star.
It would usually have in on the Electronic service sheet telling the technicians to check that the service interval is the higher available.
Ask them to check it of ask to see the copy of the service sheet if have not been given it.

The service interval is set in the cluster.

It would on some models ask the grade that was used & reset it to the higher mileage interval.
On others that did not have this option it had to be reset through the assist menu in the instrument cluster via Star.
It would usually have in on the Electronic service sheet telling the technicians to check that the service interval is the higher available.
Ask them to check it of ask to see the copy of the service sheet if have not been given it.

Thank you. Just checked the ESS. One of the items on the list is "confirm mileage to next service is reset and shows 15,500" - this is ticked on the sheet.

So probably just a simple oversight. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

IIRC then in addition to the oil spec (i.e. 229.3 as opposed to 229.1), the 15k interval requires use of microfibre oil filter element (as opposed to paper element).

1) Got in the car and the countdown to next service shows 9,300 (I thought these should display about 15,500 when just serviced)?
Same thing happened at the first service on my wife's SLK. This:
was the reason.

Take it back to the dealership & they'll reset it for you :thumb:

IIRC then in addition to the oil spec (i.e. 229.3 as opposed to 229.1), the 15k interval requires use of microfibre oil filter element (as opposed to paper element).

I don't think that applies in the UK. A ex-MB mechanic commented on this subject previously and said he'd never known the microfibre filters being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom