Just test drove a CLS63.....Oh my GOD!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
I was actually after a test drive in a C63 and E63 with Lancaster in Ipswich. However, their E63 - which was an estate anyway - had left the dealership, and they are expecting a C63 next week (Show I shall be going back when that's arrived)

Instead they had a CLS for me to drive. I had previously told the chap, Ian Burroughs, I was only interested in the C and E, so despite me having no intention of buying this CLS, he still went out his way to let me test drive it. So there I was....a 23 year old let loose on one of the quickest Mercedes available today, and worth £70,000 to boot!

First Ian took me to fill up the car, and he asked what's the fastest car I've been in.
"My friend's Dad's C32 AMG."
"Oh that's quick" he replied, and booted the throttle with a smile on his face. That smile was matched by me and my friend, who had come along for the ride - he's as much a Merc nut as me, at it's his Dad with the C32 :D

After filling up, the chap drove back to the dealer, where we swapped over. I drove out the industrial estate and onto the A14, and the acceleration was out of this world! This car could get you in to alot of trouble, I think!
I was very impressed with the build quality of this CLS, too. It's miles better than some recent past models which graced the Mercedes stable.

I just can't wait to see what the C63 is like! :devil:
However I have a test drive in Audi S5 before that....but I know I won't be to get the 63 AMG out of my mind. I think I've already fallen for it :eek:

Darren

And through the keyhole today we have..... Michael Carroll

Despite living in the same county, I'm afraid I possess no thick gold chains or base ball caps, I can articulate myself perfectly and I don't have £9 million sitting in my bank account......

Darren

This car could get you in to alot of trouble, I think!

I honestly just don't get these cars - in everyday use you're using so little of the cars potential.

The very odd occasion where you see a great stretch of road and do use a bit more of the cars capability and...you get yourself in a lot of trouble because that great stretch of road is a revenue opportunity for Scamera Pratnership.

Well, if you haven't won the lottery, your Dad must be Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk.

Always a chance that car dealers in East Anglia don't bother qualifying their customers I guess.

Well, if you haven't won the lottery, your Dad must be Lord Lieutenant of Suffolk
Nope...of Norfolk ;) :p

After duscussions with Dad, my search has been stretched to a C63 and E63.
Some of you may remember me asking about the CLK55, C55 and E55 earlier this year. I came close to buying a C55 a couple of months ago, but then discovered it's history. I've now been given the opportunity to drive these cars to see what they are like. Then I missed a 9,000 mile CL55 AMG by a couple of days.
So now I'm onto to the test drives for potentials. I discussed how unhelpful my local Norwich dealer was, so it was on to Lancasters, after a recommendation by a friend who's local to them :)

But this CLS is a serious piece of kit. It was great for them to let me take it for a test drive. But Ian knew I'm a serious customer, after the recommending friend had had a word.

But one thing I forgot to mention was a car which was being handed over to it's new owner when we arrived....A CLK63 Black Series! Now that sounded amazing, and looked stunning!

Darren

Last edited:
This has to be the worst 'I've achieved nothing but my Daddy's very rich' thread EVER!

;)

I just wanted to share my experience of a drive in a CLS63....:rolleyes:

Darren

So this trivia is relevant, how?

mercboiuk said:
...so despite me having no intention of buying this CLS, he still went out his way to let me test drive it. So there I was....a 23 year old let loose on one of the quickest Mercedes available today, and worth £70,000 to boot!

So this trivia is relevant, how?

Maybe I should have worded this better. The trouble with forums, I guess.
It was meant to be a positive comment about Lancasters, relating to the fact this dealer takes even it's younger customers seriously.
The salesman know's I'm serious about buying this type of model, and they've allowed me to take this test drive.
It certainly wasn't meant to come across as boast, or something pathetic....I'm not that kind of person!
Apologies, considering it seems to have been misconstrued in this way :eek:

Darren

Maybe I should have worded this better. The trouble with forums, I guess.
It was meant to be a positive comment about Lancasters, relating to the fact this dealer takes even it's younger customers seriously.
The salesman know's I'm serious about buying this type of model, and they've allowed me to take this test drive.
It certainly wasn't meant to come across as boast, or something pathetic....I'm not that kind of person!
Apologies, considering it seems to have been misconstrued in this way :eek:

Darren

You've gone up in my estimations a million times. Thanks :)

In my hunt for my now bought E55, I went to test drive the CLS63 as well. But in Colchester. No, it is not the same car....

Anyhow, great to drive and yes, seriously fast if you want it (about as quick as you would loose that licence!).

Hi mercboiuk,

Glad you enjoyed your ride, that is always the point, to see if you like the car as much as you thought you would eh! ;)

Like you I had a similar experience when I went looking for my first great sports car, I took a look at several Porsches and BMW's and got the proverbial cold shoulder ( I was about 21-22 yrs old) I then went into an Audi garage that had an original quattro (digital dash model) set up in the place of honour in the showroom. I had a good look around when the salesman asked if I wanted a test drive? What me????

Suffice to say 2 days later it was on my drive.....:D

Enjoy your test drives and good luck in the hunt for your new car....:cool:

Cheers
Mark.

mercboiuk, I thought your write up was entertaining and humerous. Good luck with the search and whatever you chose.

And keep the stories cummin'.

Last edited:
Darren - I also say keep 'em coming. Have fun!!

Ultimately the only way any of us get to live the lives we lead - including driving the cars we drive - is down to good fortune, however we come by it. So let's give Darren a break, eh?

Darren - I also say keep 'em coming. Have fun!!

Ultimately the only way any of us get to live the lives we lead - including driving the cars we drive - is down to good fortune, however we come by it. So let's give Darren a break, eh?

Agreed - he seems like a decent chap and well done to him for being in a position most of us would love to be in, however it's been achieved, which to my mind is irrelevant.

nice write up. And if you can afford a C63 (or your dad or whatever) i guess then you're going to get in alot of trouble with a car that fast! (I'm 22 myself and i stilll get a buzz out of my c230k, let alone a c63 LOL!)

Hope your make the right choice of car... if i was in your shoes and money wasn't an issue... i'd get myself a c63. E is slightly big and "grandadish" still in my eyes, but the new W204 C has just knocked bmw off their pedestal for being a young drivers car imho... :)

keep the stories coming!

EDIT: I know i shouldn't say this on a merc forum but, if you have that kind've money, does the Nissan GTR not intrigue you at all?

Good look in your search.

As other have said, we are all dealt a hand, its just how you play it.

I consider myself lucky with my slice of cake so you enjoy yours.

At your age though I would be looking for an SLK55 or similar, get the 4 door 'sensible' car when you need it (wife, kids, and all that follows)

Enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom