Just Venting, Grumpy Old Git Style.

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by m80, Feb 12, 2019.

1. m80

m80 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Viano 3.0 Ex Long 2009 Auto
    I bought the Vito, 4th Feb (private sale),
    payment across banks in the sellers office trying to use Barclays Mobile App, but it has a max of £2k, not enough.

I ring Barclays, put through to Mumbia, checks on checks to confirm it's me and I'm not under duress. I'm happy enough with that as security is important to try and reduce slimy git activity.
    The payment is made "Is that all sir", "no could you wait untill the seller sees the money in his account please?"

Apparently that could take 3 hours, so I explain that I'm 200 miles from home in London and the vehicle is my transport home.
    I'm transferred to their anti fraud or whatever in Liverpool, more checks, same explanation of situation, the seller sees the money in his acount. Everybody is happy.

I drive home, next day I try to use the mobile app, the error code tells me to call 0345 whatever.
    This puts me through to Mumbia. Checks on checks and through to a lady, for more checks. I explain my frustration as to having to repeat the checks that the automated sytem put me through, so what was the point of them?
    I explain the app issue. The lady has me doing things with the phone. Presses buttons at her end blah blah, tries this, gets me to try that.

An exageration I'm sure but it feels like I've been on the phone for a hour. The questions hint that Barclays are worried there has been fraudulent activity on the account "do you have the car? This being a reasonable hint.

After all the fannying the lady then tells me her pc isn't working correctly and she is having trouble resolving this issue. I was less than polite.
    Stuff it I can't use the app, reloading is the same result, I'll live w/o it.

Friday I rushed to the local branch to pay in the road tax refund from the Viano and my Friday / Saturday night heavy pocket change of £67. Parking being a bitch I just missed 'em, that's life, no one's fault.

Today I went again.
    My change was in re-usable sealable bags to correct amounts but needs to be in cash bags, apparently. So I set about tranferring the many bags of change.
    Cashier asks if there has been fraudulent activity on the account, so I explain "no" and the rest of it.
    There is some sort of block on the account, surprising really as over the last week I've done online banking with that account to many £hundreds if not a thousand +.
    She can't accept payments into the account until this is sorted.
    "What sort of fraud would there be by paying funds into an account?" Mumbled response.
    "Well it's up to you what you do but this lot isn't going anywhere else."

She takes my bank card, same account, I type in the pin and she taps buttons.
    "I'm parked where I shouldn't be so I need to get off."
    "Do you want me to stop trying to sort this out?"
    I am finding it difficult to keep calm by now.
    "I realise this isn't your fault, but some prat in Liverpool pressing a button isn't my fault either, it's down to Barcalys. I'm sorry if you feel I'm being unreasonable but your Barclays and my point of cantact. Barclays need to learn something of customer service."

She is still on the phone and tells me I need to wait, I ask if she hasn't realised I have been waiting.
    I ask if she has finished with the bank card, her response is that she will need to card till this is finished.
    "So you are confiscating the card." She disagrees but won't return it.

I've been in the bank for 25 minutes, looking at her with a phone to her ear for a fair portion of that.

She has 2 paying in slips, one for a cheque, one for the cash.
    "I'm off do what you want with that lot, post the card when you get around to it."
    "I can't accept all this."
    "Do what you want, bye."

An online check the money is in the account.
    A text from Barclays informing how I can check progress of my 'new' bank card.

A pointless rant really but I get so peed off at pointless bueurocracy,
    and some school leaver given the power to cause me extra hassle in call centres at press of a keyboard button.
    In 8 days none has used my registered number to check this out.

2. Smart320

Smart320 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R172 SLK 55AMG , A 210 Evolution , Toyota RAV4 3 dr
    Typical of branch banking now! I managed to cut up my Lloyds Bank debit card in error, thinking the replacement card was my debit card. Turned out that it was for a credit card that I never use. Only discovered it when I went in to see my local branch to make an appointment to discuss paying off an existing loan and replacing it with a new one ! As I could not produce my debit card, only 3 credit cards ( 2 with Lloyds) and a photo driving licence I was told no appointment or action could be undertaken by the branch staff until they had identified me by putting my debit card in the reader! We will order you a new card they said , having verified my signature. It will take up to 5 days, come in when you have received it, oh and you will need 1.5 hours to go through all the process including audio visual presentations needed by the Bank to meet their obligations under the Financial Protection laws.
    I went home , did everything I wanted on line in about 10 minutes and have now decided that the branch no longer is fit for purpose .

3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    I needed cash yesterday. More than is allowed from a cash point.

With no questions asked, I put my card in the machine and the young lady handed over £2500 in 2 minutes. No check of my identity...nothing. I was glad it was so easy...but disturbed it was so easy.

Not Barclays BTW.

incomer and markjay like this.
  4. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Sounds to me like your bank is being cautious, there’s a lot in the news recently about naive people being scammed - maybe your flagged up and they put you through that process?

geraldrobins likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    m80

Car:
    A few years ago now, at the same branch.

I had bought a car and with short notice had agreed to collect and needed cash.
    It was about £2k.
    A few people in the bank and 2 windows operating.

My cashier said they didn't carry that much and can only supply with prior notice. That had me amused and bemused, this being a bank. So I queeried, but she was adamant.

Richard at the next window and the owner of a local hotel we used to booze at voiced up that he had just paid in £2.5k cash, "that'l do me" I said.

Reluctantly she paid it out to me.
    It might have been nice if she had asked her colleague what funds she had available.

It might be an age thing but it seems that there are ever increasing ill thought out obstacles to prevent us just getting on with life.

Pontoneer likes this.
  6. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
  7. OP
    OP
    m80

Car:
    Apologies, my eyes are dim I didn't see.

If a mod could relocate that'd be good.

8. 190

190 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 W204 C180K
    I had some similar problems recently trying to pay for my new kitchen.

I suspect you are being tripped up by an algorithm. There is no bank manger person with common sense making the decision to block an account. It's just the automatic response of a computer programmed to look for an unusual pattern of activity on the assumption it will be fraudulent.

9. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    It seem that the ever-increasing bank security mostly affects honset people, but does little to stop the professional criminals.

kid-jensen and Smart320 like this.
  10. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    Algorithmic banking can be like chalk & cheese. One day sunshine the next thunderstorms. Add to this a demotivated and demoralised branch staff, who every day fear for their job security and are told not to think but just to do. You are experiencing the end result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart320 likes this.
  11. Doodle

Doodle Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129, BMW R100
    There's also a great variance in branches, at least in part by location. A few years back the Henley branch of Lloyds didn't bat an eyelid when I rocked up unannounced and asked for £10k in cash for a car purchase.

"Certainly sir, if you can give us a few minutes as we'll need to go into the vault"

12. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W212 E250 Sport - S211 E320 CDI
    This is why I started using Starling bank... nothing but excellent customer service.

13. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    When you call into a branch for cash?

14. clk320x

clk320x MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W212 E250 Sport - S211 E320 CDI
    Edit... I see what you mean now lol

15. BMF

BMF Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C220 (W205) 2015 Bluetec Sport Premium Plus
    What a pain in the a***.

16. 400ixl

400ixl Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E250 AMG Sport Convertible
    First Direct, far better service with good online facilities and can use HSBC branches for things like paying in cash.

DrFeelgood likes this.
  17. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    They do receive great feedback from their customers.

18. chrisk2010

chrisk2010 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C230 w203
    I stopped using my Barclays account years ago for similar reasons, I got a call from the fraud department one day (a fews days before christmas) and after making through the security many times after being transferred through several departments they said there was suspicious activity on my account which turned out to be i went to Sainsbury's in Brentwood and then a petrol station in Braintree a few hours later, highly suspect i know.

They proceeded to block my account and card and after protest they "tried" unblocking it this went on for a couple of days were they unblocked it then i went to Sainsbury's to discover it was blocked after i had called them before leaving to make sure i could use the card. I was told i can use a cash point which didn't work at this point i went to the bank explained everything and they agreed to unblock the account and let me withdraw money and asked "how much?" i replied "all of it please" which was a little under £4000 and haven't used the account since.

I have a few accounts for various things but i must say my favorite (don't laugh) is my Metro account (chavy right!?) :)

I only use it as a cash account for highstreet purchases but i must say the service i have received so far has been excellent especially on my daughters behalf. She was having money taken out of her account for a subscription she must have 'unknowingly' signed up for, when i found out this was happening i called them and they recovered the money in roughly 15 minutes and she's also lost at least two cards she can walk in they look at the picture they take when opening an account to confirm it's her (to simple an idea i know) and print her a new one there and then, new card in 30mins. They're fast, courteous and very patient when it came to helping me install the app on my phone and get me signed up to online banking.

m80 likes this.
  19. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Metro are the bank that others on the High Street look to for innovation, I used to visit their branches when in the Reading and Holborn areas for a nose about, the staff were happy to chat even when they knew who I was.

I do business with them now and have to say that they are usually a pleasure.

My only concern has been that their service is a little too user friendly and open to fraudulent use for example easy account opening makes a great first post for fraudulent funds.

chrisk2010 likes this.
  20. zipdip

zipdip Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    s320
    Well the branches of my bank are vanishing fast,the local Santander closed and so we were told to use one of the two branches at Colchester and they arranged a meet the team and look at your money session,so we did that and the next week that branch is closing,so use the other one,and all the time they try and tell you they are customer focused,as for me I was focused on the bank women legs a nice set of pins,in fact she was very tasty,until Swimbo hit me in the ribs when said women went to get us a coffee,that cost me a expensive shopping trip,I hate banks,but would quiet like to get closer contact with some of their employees.