Just Venting, Grumpy Old Git Style.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been with Barclay's since first stated work (many, many years) I have no problem with them calling me to report suspicious activity on my account (which they have on a few occasions) much prefer that than have my account robbed. Seems to me their dammed if they do dammed if they don't to some people.

I won't mention which online bank it was but I occasion to call them up to ask how I could make a large cash withdrawal from our current account now that the local branch is closed and the next nearest has no counter services; I used the phone on speaker.

No problem, sir. What we can do is increase the limit for both of your debit cards so that you withdraw the amount you need between today and tomorrow.

That's very helpful, thank you.

What did you want the cash for?

Pause.

To spend.

What are you going to spend it on?

Frankly, that's none of your business.

Sorry sir but we have to ask. What are you going to use the cash to buy?

I want cash to spend.

But if I may ask, what do you intend spending the cash on?

None of your business. We employ you to hold our cash for us, not to regulate it like pocket money.

Could you not just tell me what you intend spending that amount of cash on?

For the last time, none of your business. If I choose to empty all our accounts to buy drugs and sex, it's none of your business so stop asking.

Okay sir. Sorry but we have to ask. Now, as it's both your cards, I need to talk to your wife as well.

My wife- I'm here.

Security check completed, he asks, what do you want the cash for?

To spend.

What do you intend spending it on?

My husband has already told you it's none of your business and I'm telling you the same.

I'm very sorry but we have to ask for anti-money laundering regulations.

My wife (laughing), I have graduate diploma in anti-money laundering regulations so don't even think to try and pull the wool over my eyes.

Apologies madam. That is all done. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Yes, please. Please make a note that no-one should ever ask us what we want to spend our money on again. Good day.

Been with Barclay's since first stated work (many, many years) I have no problem with them calling me to report suspicious activity on my account (which they have on a few occasions) much prefer that than have my account robbed. Seems to me their dammed if they do dammed if they don't to some people.

Since I had discussed the purpose and carried out the transaction with an operator I would have thought the possible fraud style activity had been dealt with.
But just supposing some one later picked up on this and thought it suspicious, which would show their record keeping to be deficient anyway, there were 8 days to call me and discuss their concerns, they have my mobile registered, and of course check this during calls, "we have ------- number registerd is this still correct?" "as in the number I'm calling you from, yes" is I admit a sarcastic reply.

No calls, no letters if they can't get through, just a block and I'm not informed that my account, and my money has restricted access.

I won't mention which online bank it was but I occasion to call them up to ask how I could make a large cash withdrawal from our current account now that the local branch is closed and the next nearest has no counter services; I used the phone on speaker.

No problem, sir. What we can do is increase the limit for both of your debit cards so that you withdraw the amount you need between today and tomorrow.

Pause.

To spend.

I want cash to spend.

None of your business. We employ you to hold our cash for us, not to regulate it like pocket money.

For the last time, none of your business. If I choose to empty all our accounts to buy drugs and sex, it's none of your business so stop asking.

Okay sir. Sorry but we have to ask. Now, as it's both your cards, I need to talk to your wife as well.

My wife- I'm here.

To spend.

My husband has already told you it's none of your business and I'm telling you the same.

My wife (laughing), I have graduate diploma in anti-money laundering regulations so don't even think to try and pull the wool over my eyes.

Yes, please. Please make a note that no-one should ever ask us what we want to spend our money on again. Good day.

I imagine that the bit in bold went down like someone telling a police officer the same.

I never have problems at Coutts though High St branches are hard to find;)

Barings never asked me questions.

I bought the Vito, 4th Feb (private sale),
payment across banks in the sellers office trying to use Barclays Mobile App, but it has a max of £2k, not enough.

I ring Barclays, put through to Mumbia, checks on checks to confirm it's me and I'm not under duress. I'm happy enough with that as security is important to try and reduce slimy git activity.
The payment is made "Is that all sir", "no could you wait untill the seller sees the money in his account please?"

Apparently that could take 3 hours, so I explain that I'm 200 miles from home in London and the vehicle is my transport home.
I'm transferred to their anti fraud or whatever in Liverpool, more checks, same explanation of situation, the seller sees the money in his acount. Everybody is happy.

I drive home, next day I try to use the mobile app, the error code tells me to call 0345 whatever.
This puts me through to Mumbia. Checks on checks and through to a lady, for more checks. I explain my frustration as to having to repeat the checks that the automated sytem put me through, so what was the point of them?
I explain the app issue. The lady has me doing things with the phone. Presses buttons at her end blah blah, tries this, gets me to try that.

An exageration I'm sure but it feels like I've been on the phone for a hour. The questions hint that Barclays are worried there has been fraudulent activity on the account "do you have the car? This being a reasonable hint.

After all the fannying the lady then tells me her pc isn't working correctly and she is having trouble resolving this issue. I was less than polite.
Stuff it I can't use the app, reloading is the same result, I'll live w/o it.

Friday I rushed to the local branch to pay in the road tax refund from the Viano and my Friday / Saturday night heavy pocket change of £67. Parking being a bitch I just missed 'em, that's life, no one's fault.

Today I went again.
My change was in re-usable sealable bags to correct amounts but needs to be in cash bags, apparently. So I set about tranferring the many bags of change.
Cashier asks if there has been fraudulent activity on the account, so I explain "no" and the rest of it.
There is some sort of block on the account, surprising really as over the last week I've done online banking with that account to many £hundreds if not a thousand +.
She can't accept payments into the account until this is sorted.
"What sort of fraud would there be by paying funds into an account?" Mumbled response.
"Well it's up to you what you do but this lot isn't going anywhere else."

She takes my bank card, same account, I type in the pin and she taps buttons.
"I'm parked where I shouldn't be so I need to get off."
"Do you want me to stop trying to sort this out?"
I am finding it difficult to keep calm by now.
"I realise this isn't your fault, but some prat in Liverpool pressing a button isn't my fault either, it's down to Barcalys. I'm sorry if you feel I'm being unreasonable but your Barclays and my point of cantact. Barclays need to learn something of customer service."

She is still on the phone and tells me I need to wait, I ask if she hasn't realised I have been waiting.
I ask if she has finished with the bank card, her response is that she will need to card till this is finished.
"So you are confiscating the card." She disagrees but won't return it.

I've been in the bank for 25 minutes, looking at her with a phone to her ear for a fair portion of that.

She has 2 paying in slips, one for a cheque, one for the cash.
"I'm off do what you want with that lot, post the card when you get around to it."
"I can't accept all this."
"Do what you want, bye."

An online check the money is in the account.
A text from Barclays informing how I can check progress of my 'new' bank card.

A pointless rant really but I get so peed off at pointless bueurocracy,
and some school leaver given the power to cause me extra hassle in call centres at press of a keyboard button.
In 8 days none has used my registered number to check this out.
What an absolute shower of bankers .

Pause.

To spend.

I want cash to spend.

My wife- I'm here.

To spend.

This issue of local branches closing does cause inconvenience for many people .

When I moved to my present rural location the two villages nearby had something like four or five banks each , and one had a main post office , with the sorting office behind .

Now , most of the branches have closed , including both Clydesdale branches which was the one I used , so I no longer have a local branch , although there still are CB ATMs in both villages . The small post office in one village closed , and there is now a post office counter within a convenience store . The same happened to the main post office in the other village , but the sorting office within the same building is still open , and the front part of the building ( presumably still owned by Royal Mail/Post office/whoever ) just lies empty .

Re the bank closures , I had the thought a while back , that economies could be made in rural areas by different banks ‘sharing’ branches . Even if there was only one bank in a village , it could be staffed by employees of the different banks , and they could have a manager from each bank who could be at different branches on certain days of the week .

This wouldn’t take rocket science to set up , and would allow each bank to maintain a presence in each village , without the cost of so many separate branches to keep open .

No doubt too simple and too sensible .

I make no defence one way or another here.

I do witness first hand the mammoth drop off in branch footfall that is simply not. Sustainable to any business. We see large high street branches with all the associated running costs (including staff) where they have quiet literally one or two customers pop in per day.

It’s a sad but true reality where in most instances on-line banking is the “sensible alternative” not always the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom