Just viewed 500SEC - happy to share

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
1984 MERCEDES 500 SEC COUPE | eBay

Just returned from a 450 mile round trip to see this.

I think the comment about not being disappointed isn't correct.

If anyone would like a summary, please pm me.

Cheers,

Paul

The exterior colour and the brown velour interior (straight out of an MFI showroom circa 1979) would be enough to put most people off.

LOL i like Lt Ivory, but agree on the Cloth interior, has to be leather in a Sec really.

It's priced at the very bottom end and that's nothing got to do with the upholster.

I had a Brazil Brown leather 300ce a few years ago and it really sat very well - eye of the beholder, or perhaps three of them on this subject, of course - I've never sat on the velour before and for me it felt good and better than most instances of cracked and torn leather with the constant worry it can bring. It was one of the few good points! The cabin felt good all round. Mind you, I'm a big fan of MBTex.
Is it a modern myth that leather was originally for the chauffeur and the cloth was for the gentry sat astern?
Cheers.

Is it a modern myth that leather was originally for the chauffeur and the cloth was for the gentry sat astern?
Cheers.

Not in the slightest. Look at most limousines and the leather is rough stuff and hardwearing while the carriage itself would have Russell cord or Devon cloth.

That velour looks lovely.

Was that ever seen outside the 'S'?
Must say, I've never seen in the saloon, either.

That velour looks lovely.

Oh, an S-Class with velor is the pinnacle imo. Also, it was more expensive option than leather, c. £1100 in 89-90. £1300 on the W201 & W124's.

Last edited:
Oh, an S-Class with velor is the pinnacle imo. Also, it was more expensive option than leather, c. £1100 in 89-90. £1300 on the W201 & W124's.

On the SEC they did a very expensive Alcantara option that cost a lot more than leather.

Velour was standard
Leather was an option
Alcantara was expensive
AMG was for very rich people that owned yachts and lived in Monaco

How times have changed.

I'm more of a leather boy myself...

On the SEC they did a very expensive Alcantara option that cost a lot more than leather.

Velour was standard
Leather was an option
Alcantara was expensive
AMG was for very rich people that owned yachts and lived in Monaco

How times have changed.

Just double checked, this is for the facelift SEC's.

''Standard equipment for UK includes the following:

Amarette,velour or soft leather''

Well, the little round black leather cap keeps my hair in place when driving with the top down. That's the only reason, honest...

Isobars thats a nice car .I will be looking for the saloon asap . But would have to be leather .But dont let that put you off .You could change the seating at a later date

The velour is really lovely in person, although I've not seen one of these two tone SEC ones in the flesh. Love the two tone aspect of it.

Velour has to be absolutely immaculate to look good IMO. MB velour is really hard wearing though so it cleans up well.

My friend has an SEL with cream pullman style velour and it is absolutely gorgeous, really tasteful. He wants leather though, boo. I do like the leather a lot but this cream ribbed velour is so nice.

I saw a Silver Shadow with velour recently. Eew. Didn't like that at all.

Love the two tone aspect of it.

I doubt very much the two tone is original, I've never seen it offered as an option. I suspect this car has two tone due to the upholstery being repaired, maybe it was just cheaper option to do it that way too.

I had Velour in my 1980 450SEL. Loved it.

I love velour too, I seriously contemplated it on my W114 but bright red velour was just hideously OTT and would have made the car look like a brothel.

I think the original material had bolsters and stripes the same colour on the seats with contrasting colour stripes on the centre sections. The obvious thing about that car is how much the seats could do with a clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom