Just viewed R129 SL500, need advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sideshowbob

Car
mercedes benz w124 e200, mercedes benz R129 SL500
Hi All,
Ive just been to view an R129 SL500. Its my ideal car, particularly in the silver exterior/ blue interior colour combination and would love to buy it but need some advice from you guys first.
Its a 1998 R plate with only 52,000 miles on the clock and is in pretty good nick. The bodywork looks clean with only a barely noticable sign that it has had some work on one of the rear arches at some point. The interior is spotless, and it drives great. The steering is tight and precise with no play, the gear change almost imperceptible, and the engine is smooth, quiet and pulls like a train.
There are a number of minor faults that i would have to address but what worries me the most is the service history. It is a 14 year old car and only has 6 stamps in the book. Technically it hasnt gone more than 10k miles without a service but sometimes there are gaps of 2.5 or 3 years between them. From a car enthusiasts point of view i cant imagine not servicing a car for so long but what are your opinions? is this a major problem?
Also if i were to buy the car i would give it a full service immediately. How much should i budget for a big service (Im talking about plugs, brake fluid, gearbox oil etc etc)?

Hello and welcome to you. I feel sure someone will be along shortly to advise/answer your questions.

Hi All,
Ive just been to view an R129 SL500. Its my ideal car, particularly in the silver exterior/ blue interior colour combination and would love to buy it but need some advice from you guys first.
Its a 1998 R plate with only 52,000 miles on the clock and is in pretty good nick. The bodywork looks clean with only a barely noticable sign that it has had some work on one of the rear arches at some point. The interior is spotless, and it drives great. The steering is tight and precise with no play, the gear change almost imperceptible, and the engine is smooth, quiet and pulls like a train.
There are a number of minor faults that i would have to address but what worries me the most is the service history. It is a 14 year old car and only has 6 stamps in the book. Technically it hasnt gone more than 10k miles without a service but sometimes there are gaps of 2.5 or 3 years between them. From a car enthusiasts point of view i cant imagine not servicing a car for so long but what are your opinions? is this a major problem?
Also if i were to buy the car i would give it a full service immediately. How much should i budget for a big service (Im talking about plugs, brake fluid, gearbox oil etc etc)?

98/R was about when ASYST came in, but I think the longest service interval on that (with low mileage) is 2 years. If the car isn't on ASYST it would have been due a service every 12 months / 9000 miles (whichever came first).

Last major service on mine (main dealer) was £627. That included replacing the driver's door check strap, however it was 4 years ago and I get a good labour discount there (40%). I'd had the ATF done previously, budget on another £150 or so for that.

Check all the electrics carefully (seats etc.), and make sure that the hood works perfectly. Look for cracks in the plastic windows of the hood (they start at the edges, where it folds).

Welcome and fine choice of car.

I had a R129 500SL for 4 years, with a mileage of 48k (when bought) to 60k (when sold). I had it serviced every year as the previous owner had, the oil was always a honey colour so the engine clearly liked the attention. Technically I suppose it doesn't need doing every year, and the MOT will pick up anything dangerous, but it doesn't sit right. Does the MOT history back up the mileage as these cars hide their miles very well (when mine was sold it lost 12k miles between me selling it to a dealer and the next buyer aquiring it)

They are very strong cars mechanically, but mine was a 32v and I think the later engines are different. Only problem with mine was a misfire cured by new distributor caps.

Minor problems can cost a fortune on these cars, so make investigations before doing a deal.

They are lovely cars, but finding a good one is hard, so if it seems suspicious walk away!

As Bill has said from MY 98 cars are on ASYST which means x miles or two years between services. The car you are looking at is 14 years old with a low mileage, so 6 stamps in the book would not worry me. If the car is in good condition, and everything works, then I would go for it. I don't know of any Indies in your area but it might be an idea to get someone to give it the once over. I know Ollie did this for another member who was looking to buy an SL60.
I don't think he charged a great deal, you can always ask.

Thanks all for the warm welcome and all the great advice. All the electrics work perfectly on the car and the soft top and window are both in perfect condition. Ive made a list of the remedial work that needs doing which is;-

-Alloy wheels need refurbishing
-New rear tyres are needed
-The aircon isnt blowing cold enough
-Its missing front nearside arch liner (strange one that)
-Needs a full service
-It needs a stereo

I get the feeling that the last owner bought the car without having the money to maintain it. It appears it had its last service in June 2009 and the last owner bought it the day after. He then put 8k miles on the clock and then part exchanged the car a couple of weeks ago. There is no evidence that he spent a penny on the car during his ownership. At least it only did 8k miles with no maintenance.
Ive just spoken to a friend of mine that is a very experienced mechanic and he said the service history wouldnt bother him at all. He has also agreed to check the car over later in the week.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the ASYST cars and the non ASYST cars are? what changed on the car to allow the service interval to go from 12 months to 2 years?

Sounds good. I suspect nothing mechanical changed on the cars when ASYST came in - certainly it's the same engine (that changed in the '99 model year, when the oval door mirrors appeared).

If it runs well and everything works I would just do the same as you suggest - full service and fluid change. Oh and check the front tyres carefully for any signs of cracking/delamination/etc. if they're more than 5 years old per the date codes (possible on a low mileage car). If they are old I'd be inclined to replace them (as well as the rears), for peace of mind.

Make sure you post some pictures if/when you get it!

Good luck :)

PS my '97 has just reached 52k miles as well!

Last edited:
Agree with all Bill has said, only thing I'd add is that I have found the 129 aircon to be a bit feeble even when working properly, (as is the the heated rear window). This hasn't bothered me at all, I usually have the roof down. In fact I remember when I took one of the very first SLK's out on a test drive, I had the salesman with me and I asked him if it came with aircon, I got the withering reply: "....why would you want aircon in a convertable"...Oh well!!

A lot of people can't live without aircon for some reason, although I'm not a fan. Just as well, because I have replaced most things, and there is still a leak somewhere, most likely now from the evaporator. This will mean the entire dash will have to come out, so I can live without it, but I do like everything to work. If that's important to you, it could be very costly. The problem there is re-gassing is a cheap but temporary fix. I share Ian's salesman's view!

I think your car may be on the cusp of the engine change, as I know of 98 cars with the M113 engine, which replaced the M119 engines. From the servicing aspect, the main difference is the 113 has twin spark plugs, so are twice the price to replace. M11? will be the prefix of the engine serial number. M113s suffer with crank sensors, which are more of an annoyance and worry (before diagnosis) than an expense.

Mechanically, these cars have some of the finest V8s made, and the later cars shared expensive electronic parts with the S Classes of the day. Asyst, I believe, shows up servicing intervals etc on the speedo.

I've had my 96 500 coming up for 9 years, and use it some years more than others. Probably did about 50 miles last year, so overdue a service time wise, but it's garaged and not wearing out. Currently on about 140k miles, and the biggest expense was replacing the cats so far.

Not a fan of silver (and I own a sliver car!), but blue leather would be an enhancement for me. If the mileage is genuine, and everything does what it is meant to do, I'd buy it, depending on the price, using the aircon as a lever. Just check, and double check the soft/hardtops work properly! Does it have a hardtop, btw? If it comes with a panoramic roof, that is a big plus.

Yup should definitely have a hard top (standard), also the air deflector to go on the roll bar. Mine didn't come with the latter despite being bought from a main dealer - they told me it was an option, and at the time I didn't know any better :(

Never really noticed the aircon on mine, if it's hot then my roof is down too :) It did get a free aircon service from the dealership a couple of years ago and they didn't report any issues. The heated rear window (on the hard top) is weedy, as Ian said.

To me the aircon is essential even on a convertible. If you intend using it all year round then it helps keep the windows clear in winter. Depending where you are it can be too hot to drive with the roof down in summer. In Italy there are proportionally fewer convertibles for this reason. Make sure it works properly. "just needs a regass" invariably means its much more serious. If it were that simple why has it not been done.

The air con is essential if it has a pano roof as you drive round in a mini greenhouse!

To me the aircon is essential even on a convertible. If you intend using it all year round then it helps keep the windows clear in winter.

Agreed, air con makes a big difference when demisting windows in winter and on hot days when you get some rain. Also, if you get stuck in traffic on a hot day then you can put the roof up and stay cool. If it's going to be more than a weekend toy then air con is a must.

Salesmen are the worst when you ask a bout air con in a convertible, usually as the car they re selling doesn't have it. Personally I would never buy any car that didn't have air con convertible or not.

The ASYST is a Variable Service Interval indicator - depending how and where you drive it. Hence you can have gaps in the service book if you go the by the 12months intervals. I've gone as high as 16k in the S350 before service due with mixed urban and extra urban.

As for the A/C, if it's fitted it should work!! Can anyone really live with a such a luxury equipment , and to most a necessity these days, not working properly?? One item that can be a deal breaker if an expensive part like an Evaporator (2k job easy)is needed, so have this checked carefully. Sellers/Dealers are quick to dismiss, "oh, it just needs regas!" Again, if it needs regas it's a bit more serious as this usually means there's a leak!

The air con is essential if it has a pano roof as you drive round in a mini greenhouse!

My mini greenhouse has a nice roof blind which keeps me cool if the roof is on and the sun is out....an unusual combination tho.....!!

To me the aircon is essential even on a convertible. If you intend using it all year round then it helps keep the windows clear in winter. Depending where you are it can be too hot to drive with the roof down in summer. In Italy there are proportionally fewer convertibles for this reason. Make sure it works properly. "just needs a regass" invariably means its much more serious. If it were that simple why has it not been done.

Having lived in Italy for several years I would agree that. That said I mostly drove a Moto Guzzi 850 T3 when I was there. Air con was excellent on that ;)

The aircon is pretty important to me. I suffer from M.E and have problems regulating temperature. If i get too hot i get Bad Migraines. Over the last couple of summers there have been days when i have had to put the roof up and turn the aircon on because i have been getting to hot. Especially as a drive alot around the London area where i seem to be continually stuck in traffic.
I am more concerned about the non working aircon now tho. Previously i thought at worst it will be a £700-800 job, now it appears it could possibly be much much more.
One more item of concern. Would 6 owners on a 14 year old car put people off? I know that convertibles are seasonal cars and hence can rack up more owners than normal cars, but would 6 owners put people off?
The car has the hardtop and it appears to be in very good condition.

Six owners wouldn't put me off on this type of car. As far as the aircon is concerned, if it were me, and a good aircon system was a definite requirement, I probably wouldn't buy an SL of this era. Others may disagree, but I think the aircon, even when working as it should, is pretty feeble.

Last edited:
Whilst high ownership wouldn't put me off either, I know how pleasureable these cars are to drive. Intended as a weekend/holiday car, I couldn't help myself and the mileage quickly crept up! If all 6 owners have been so disciplined to resist usage, I'd say that's good going, but I would scrutinise the history.

The problem with the aircon may be something as simple as the condenser, which is in the first line of fire for stones etc, joints or other less expensive items, but a slow leak if under the dash can be almost impossible to diagnose. I have had mine working properly, and as Ian says, it is not brilliant, although good enough. Where others have commented on needing it for demisting, I've never had this problem. Is the hardtop glass or aluminium?

The aircon is pretty important to me.

Would 6 owners on a 14 year old car put people off?.

I would have the seller fix the A/C first as you wouldn't want any surprises. Otherwise I would walk away - simple!!

6 owners?? Hmmm.. !? Investigate, verify mileage and history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom