Just when you thought it could not get worse

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought they weren't allowed to take a picture of the driver so how would this camera be allowed to prosecute on oncoming traffic?

allymac123 said:
I thought they weren't allowed to take a picture of the driver so how would this camera be allowed to prosecute on oncoming traffic?
Where did you get that from? The front facing TruVelo camears take a picture of the driver, and the laser camera operators always try to get a snap of the drivers face.

Taking pics face on had legal arguements re infringing privacy but failed.
The other reason was flashing face on may impede a driver.
I believe the latest cameras do not flash face on.
Technology is a great thing eh?
P

hmm yeah I'm confused up here in Edinburgh we sometimes drive towards gatso's on the other side of the road (white lines on both sides) fast enough to make them flash because we didn't think you could get prosecuted. and so far no one I know has been.

neilrr said:

No.

I know this has been debated here before at great length, and many will disagree vehemently, but I don't understand why some people (not neccessarily you, neilrr) think that breaking speed limits is some sort of right. Journey times are seldom shortened much by speeding, and unless one is seeking self-gratification by driving fast, surely journey times are all that really matters?
I was gatso'd a few years back, at 5.30am in midsummer, on an empty dual carriageway, 48mph in a 40mph limit, just inside the restriction. Fair cop. I wasn't paying enough attention to the speed limit signs. 3 points, £100 fine, lesson learned. I got over it.

Looks like it might be that it is only drivers who speed and don't pay attention that get gatsoed. Those that ONLY speed who do pay attention don't get gatsoed...

Pay more attention if you speed.

Apial said:
Looks like it might be that it is only drivers who speed and don't pay attention that get gatsoed. Those that ONLY speed who do pay attention don't get gatsoed...

Pay more attention if you speed.

Good point. And if one can't see a big yellow box on a stick at the side of the road when driving fast, there's a good chance that other things like a kid on a bicycle or other flesh-and-blood hazzard will also be missed......

Dave Lewis said:
Good point. And if one can't see a big yellow box on a stick at the side of the road when driving fast, there's a good chance that other things like a kid on a bicycle or other flesh-and-blood hazzard will also be missed......
It's not about driving fast it is about driving in excess of the posted speed limit. What is unacceptable, 0,1,2,3,4, 10mph over the speed limit? The other week I went to Richmond an area I have not been too for years. Did not take the road angel with me but you then spend half of your time looking out for speed cameras, posted speed signs and your speedometer to make sure that you are not exceeding the posted speed limit.
For every moment you are checking the road for gatso's, posted speed signs and your speedo is a moment that you are not looking for flesh and blood road hazards or other idiots on the road. Whether that be the kid on the push bike or the kid about to run accross the road in front of you. In my opinion and I imagine many others is that the majority of gatso's are there to generate revenue and have absolutely nothing to do with enhancing road safety. Answer post the speed limit on the back of the cameras and have an agreed uniform excess speed limit across the whole country for cameras say 10mph, at least that might give us half a chance to just concentrate on driving and maybe just put a little enjoyment back into it as well.

graeme73s said:
It's not about driving fast it is about driving in excess of the posted speed limit. What is unacceptable, 0,1,2,3,4, 10mph over the speed limit?

In the eyes of the law why should there be any leeway? Perhaps I'm missing the point here but a camera is only there to enforce the law. Nothing more, nothing less. If the speed limits were say "30 and a bit" then there would be reasonable grounds for complaint :)

graeme73s said:
but you then spend half of your time looking out for speed cameras, posted speed signs and your speedometer to make sure that you are not exceeding the posted speed limit.

I think it was Plodd who recommended a while back that you should assume the speed limit is 30 mph unless the signs say different. I don't think anyone spends half their time looking for those things after all they are all in plain view.

graeme73s said:
Answer post the speed limit on the back of the cameras and have an agreed uniform excess speed limit across the whole country for cameras say 10mph, at least that might give us half a chance to just concentrate on driving and maybe just put a little enjoyment back into it as well.

The speed limits are meant to be speed limits not some random figure at which you start negotiating. They are the MAXIMUM speed allowed and as drivers we always have the option to drive slightly below them and not fall victim of the cameras.

Sadly speed limits are there for a reason and the fact that they are being enforced so rigourously is almost definitely the motorists fault. If everyone chose to drive within the limits then there would be no revenue from them and therefore no need for cameras.

Andy

graeme73s said:
It's not about driving fast ........

But it is. Graeme, I understand your frustration, given the list of fine motors you own, but the fact is, we live in a small island with overcrowded roads that have to be shared by potentially very fast cars, slow trucks, bicycles, tractors, pedestrians, little old ladies in micras etc. Speed limits are very neccessary, and have to be enforced. Driving with enjoyment in this country is a thing of the past. Don't get me wrong, I love to drive fast, in the appropriate circumstances. For me, this means on a track, or somewhere like the de-regulated roads of Montana, or the 'Ring. Last time I was in LA, I treated myself to a rented Corvette (couldn't afford a 911) for a few days, and went out into the wilds of the SoCal desert to have some fun. It's simply not possible, or desirable, in this country. That's why nowadays I'm happy driving a wheezy 4-pot 2-litre. Reasonable journey times, comfort, economy, and safety are my sources of enjoyment when driving in the UK today. In the late 1960s, at the wheel of a Jag 420, they were somewhat different.

Ok looks like I'm going to have to cut the belt to the supercharger and
pull off four of the plug caps on the F150 Lightning. Any recommendations as to what firing order I should leave the other four on :D

graeme73s said:
Ok looks like I'm going to have to cut the belt to the supercharger and
pull off four of the plug caps on the F150 Lightning. Any recommendations as to what firing order I should leave the other four on :D

Just leave the left bank on..:rolleyes:

Ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom