Justice British style

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
just to follow on from the Arizona thread, I lifted this from another forum where there is considerable gloom and dismay at the theme emerging from some UK news items today:

Reid pleads to keep offenders out of jail By Laura Clout

John Reid, the Home Secretary, has written to judges asking them to consider alternatives to sending criminals to overcrowded prisons, it was disclosed last night.

The letter, co-signed by Lord Falconer, the Lord Chancellor, and the Attorney General, Lord Goldsmith, reminds judges and magistrates of the importance of dealing with the prison population as the Government attempts to contain the overcrowding crisis.

www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...sons24.xml

so it is just as well that

Soca is 'paralysed by bureaucracy'
By Laura Clout
Last Updated: 7:57am GMT 24/01/2007

Britain’s answer to the FBI, the Serious Organised Crime Agency, is beset by “major problems” just ten months after it was created, it was claimed last night.

Soca, set up to combat high-level drug and people-traffickers, was said to be failing to take up the majority of the drugs cases referred to it by Customs.

Some officers are already seeking to leave to return to conventional police work, it was said, due to low morale and a perception that the organisation is “paralysed by bureaucracy”.

www.telegraph.co.uk/ne...oca124.xml

but never let it be said that we are not being protected from dangerous criminals, especially those who keep slavering canines ready to tear victims limb from limb:

DACHSHUND FROM HELL?
8in tall Lucy in 'danger' trial

By Jeremy Armstrong
A TINY sausage dog is facing being put down - for biting a neighbour's ankle.

Friends of owner Melanie Hobson, 25, cannot believe her eight inch tall Dachshund Lucy is being brought before the courts.

Stunned Melanie, who lives with husband Stephen, 33, and their two children, said: "Lucy is a lovely dog. I would never have her round my kids if I thought she was dangerous.

"You only need to look at her. She's tiny - how can she be classed as a dangerous dog? "I just want this whole nightmare to be over.

www.mirror.co.uk/news/..._page.html

"how can she be classed as a dangerous dog?"

Erm ... how about because you let her bite someone you silly woman?

The "Dangerous Dogs Act" is a ridiculous piece of legislation though, it applies to all dogs (no matter what breed/size) and someone only has to think it is acting in a threatening way for the Police to be able to seize it. The specific offence is something like having a dog "dangerously out of control" IIRC.

So a dog that does actually bite someone is potentially in big trouble, if this Dachshund had happened to (allegedly) bite a toddler rather than an adult it would probably seem a bit more serious.

BTB 500 said:
The "Dangerous Dogs Act" is a ridiculous piece of legislation though, it applies to all dogs (no matter what breed/size) and someone only has to think it is acting in a threatening way for the Police to be able to seize it. The specific offence is something like having a dog "dangerously out of control" IIRC.

So a dog that does actually bite someone is potentially in big trouble, if this Dachshund had happened to (allegedly) bite a toddler rather than an adult it would probably seem a bit more serious.
I think this legislation needs to be more strictly enforced and it is to apply it to ALL breeds.

It is usually irresponsible owners that think it funny, or clever to have a dog, or dogs that bark and try to intimidate or attack anyone. To me there is no difference. Providing we are acting reasonably and lawfully then we should never be intimidated by a snarling, growling animal.

My brother was riding his bike along a country lane when a farmers sheep dog leaped a gate and chased after him. The dog was snapping and snarling as he chased after my brother, but fortunately it just failed to catch up. Lincolnshire Police merely stated they could take NO action because this dog had not actually bitten my brother??? WRONG, this thing is a dangerous dog that could easily have caused my brother to fall from his bike and perhaps get run over. The farmer should have been reported, instead my brother is now to afraid to cycle along that particular road.

All dog owners have a responsibility to make sure their animals behave in a responsible manner.

A TINY sausage dog is facing being put down - for biting a neighbour's ankle.

Would any of us let this 'tiny' dog bite our children?

Regarding the rest of the post, then the only thing that surprises me is that folks believe what our politicians say. "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime!" :rolleyes: :confused:

John

I like dogs.
Being a cyclist though I am well aware that some dogs see a bike and seem think it is some sort of cat.
One came charging across some fields and ran into my back wheel full tilt and so I guess it was my bike rather than me that he was after. His owner just stood watching while this went on, at least I assume he was the owner and not just a man coincidentally standing in a field holding a dog lead.
Anyway in a flash I worked out that the combination of these two and a discussion might not go in my favour and I pedalled furiously away. Some days when I go to work I pass a garden and being the morning I am posisbly day dreaming until Clifford the giant dog starts barking furiously about ten feet from my ear. Every time he does this I wobble, my heart skips a beat and I say to myself 'I must remember that' I imagine the owners sitting behind the curtains chuckling to themsleves at the the sight of me wobbling down the road.
As a lot of people say though, it is not the dogs but the owners.

When I was small, my father's parents had a black poodle which used to get jealous of me and bite me on the ankle when no-one was looking. That was okay, though, as I used to kick 'mitsy' back - also when no-one lese was looking. Enemies for life we were. A dangerous dachshund? Someone's having a laugh (or a spot of neighbourly revenge more like).
Les

The "Serious Organised Crime Squad".

As opposed to the Trivial Disorganised Crime Squad?

Hm. Allow me to introduce a Minature (not a Standard) Dachshund. Dangerous dog my nether regions. They are tiny

At whilst I am at it, when did Politicians decide they could get the Executive to instruct the Judiciary to disapply law as enacted by the Legislature? A novel concept that is about exercise the mind of judges and I suspect constitutional lawyers.

Yes, once again the Home offices opens mouth and inserts foot.

Last edited:
At some risk of inventing a zero tolerance for 1p carrier bag rippers thread for dogs, the conclusion of the "dangerous dog" nonsense.

"Burly landscape gardener Shawn Anderson claimed he was "inconsolable" after miniature Dachshund Lucy allegedly nipped his ankle and bit his jeans.

But Newcastle Magistrates' Court heard he suffered no injuries, there were no teeth marks and no damage to his jeans after the yapping dog ran round his legs outside his flat in Gosforth, Newcastle, in October last year."

It is the vast waste of time and resources caused by this sort of thing that grips at my entrails. How in the name of God can this sort of rubbish even be allowed to proceed through the courts??

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/...ack on burly neighbour/article.do?expand=true

We're all at it again. Tough on anyone that gets bitten by a small dog and how dare they complain. I don't care what size a dog is, it should be kept under control.

In my experience smaller dogs are usually far more spiteful than larger breeds, but in my personal experience I cannot recall anyone being savaged by a miniature Dachshund, however that is still not an excuse for failing to keep it under control?

Some of us think it okay for this dog to bite someone because they are a big ruffy tuffy. Once we allow this, then we are saying it is okay for this dog to bite a human being? Would we still say this if it bit a very young baby? The owner is guilty of not having the dog under control, unless there are some very extenuating circumstances. Has the owner of this dog ever been cautioned for a similar offence? Would it be normal to prosecute for a first offence especially taking into account the size, make and model of the pooch.

Put the thing between a bread roll, a few slices of onion, chuck it into a microwave for five minutes...... Problem solved.

John the dog lover

Here here.. Even though I have 2 German Shepherds they are always on leads when outside of my property.

We have a large number of dog walkers past our house daily as there is no road past the house so it's not busy. I had one lady with a little "Thing" go past one day as I was taking our dogs out. It ran up to the older of my dogs with it's teeth out and yapping like a good'en.. I did suggest she keep it on a lead or my dog might just "Have it for a light snack"... She then hurled abuse at me for owning a dangerous dog and if it touched hers she would have mine destroyed...!!! I did point out it was hers that was not on a lead but hey ho...

Same rule should apply to all dogs no matter what the size.

Put the thing between a bread roll, a few slices of onion, chuck it into a microwave for five minutes...... Problem solved.

John the dog lover

Oh thats right! Have a go at the Onions you veg basher:D

Veg Rules, and long live the veg!

Can I have mine fried please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom