Justice for drink driver ????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidsw

Car
Jaguar XKR,Porsche Boxster S
Read in our local paper today.
7 previous drink driving offences !!!!
Caught drunk whilst driving day after release from prison .
He had taken car without owners consent.

120 days jail and 4 years ban

I ask you !!!!

Out in 60 days or less.

If you ask me (which I think you did :D) Words :fail me. Except for these.

A four year ban hardly throws away the ignition keys to someone else's motor.. Perhaps they should be done for "use cause or permit" an offence to take place. Unless of course he (other genders are available) stole the car.

Not condoning any of the actions of that person...

But in most circumstances the 'taking of vehicle without owner's' permission is simply the result of the fact that the owner wishes to avoid a conviction for allowing a disqualified/uninsured driver to use his/her vehicle, and so enters into a post-event 'gentleman's agreement' with the offender, rather than this being some form of outright theft.

This often comes-up in trials, and I doubt very much that people regularly take other people's cars without their knowledge or consent...

I think you are right markjay the article quoted the first words he said to the officer were "it's my brothers car and he doesn't know I've taken it " !

The guy is an alcoholic. Until that is addressed adequately nothing much is going to change since previous custodial sentences obviously don't work. Attempt some form of effective rehab or throw in jail for longer and longer? Perhaps the first option might be cheaper in the long run assuming it hasn't been tried already.

The worrying thing is he will do it again.He will be out just in time for the festive season.

For some of these people , amputation of the right foot would be a good option .

For some of these people , amputation of the right foot would be a good option .

Do you really mean that? Limb amputation is a terrible affliction, both physically and mentally.

Jail

Part of my mini cab driving involved taking prisoners to court and hospitals etc, when i said to one of them " so you won't be doing that again " he said " now i know where i went wrong i won't make that mistake again " , PRISON = EDUCATION :wallbash::wallbash:

Part of my mini cab driving involved taking prisoners to court and hospitals etc, when i said to one of them " so you won't be doing that again " he said " now i know where i went wrong i won't make that mistake again " , PRISON = EDUCATION :wallbash::wallbash:

I bet he was referring to being caught:eek:

Do you really mean that? Limb amputation is a terrible affliction, both physically and mentally.

A completely innocent victim being crippled after being hit by a drink driver is also a terrible affliction , both physically and mentally - don't you agree ?

A habitual drink driver is likely to kill or seriously injure one or more people sooner or later . We regularly read about drink drivers wiping out multiple occupants in other cars , or groups of people on the footpath , so they really are the scourge of the roads - in many cases they are uninsured as well so the costs of caring for their victims falls to the MIB fund , which in turn means that you and I end up paying for them .

If all other measures to stop him driving fail , then cutting off his right foot to make him physically unable to drive would be a drastic last resort . Simply spelling out to him that this is what would happen if he is caught again might make him think more carefully - if he doesn't care about the consequences of his drink driving for others , perhaps he might think about the consequences for himself . If this happened and made an example of just two or three drink drivers , it would send out the message that this conduct would no longer be tolerated . A lot of people would then not be so inclined to take the risk of driving whilst drunk .

Barbaric , yes , but not so different to the punishment of cutting off the hand of a thief which supposedly happens in some other countries .

It is , of course , extremely unlikely to be sanctioned in toothless , soft option UK .

Of course , my opinion may be slightly biased by the fact that I myself fell victim to a drunk driver under very similar circumstances , back in 1978 . I was approaching a right hand bend on a country A road with tall hedgerows on both sides , over the top of the hedgerow I could see a lorry approaching from the other direction - just as I reached the bend I was confronted with a car overtaking the lorry and there was an unavoidable head-on collision , despite my braking off as much speed as I could from the 50 or 60 I had been doing and swerving onto the grass verge at the last moment . It turned out the other driver was drunk , had no licence , nor insurance and had 'stolen' the car which belonged to a relative ; the Ford Capri he was driving folded up like a pack of cards and he ended up in hospital with three broken limbs , despite which he absconded . I suffered an injury to one eye due to a piece of glass which entered it , but was otherwise OK , thanks to the Mercedes I was driving and that I was wearing my seatbelt which was not compulsory back then ( and why I have stayed with Mercedes ever since ) , thankfully I had multiple witness statements from the lorry driver and following drivers who saw what happened so , although my insurer paid out for my car they did not remove my NCD . The result of all that is that I , to this day , have a very low opinion of drunk drivers .

Last edited:
Following on from my post.
Same paper , same week.
No licence
No insurance
Ran red light while being pursued by police
60 mph in 30 mph limit

Subject of a previous suspended jail sentence for burglary
Previous convictions for theft , burglary, assault .

Banned for 6months, £50 fine and curfew 9pm to 7am for 6 months

QC said he was not going to activate suspended sentence he was giving the offender another chance.

No right to be on the road,no regard for anyone else,dangerous driving,no respect for the law,speeding in a 30 zone.A known violent burglar.................give him another chance?:wallbash:

I wonder what we would get for jumping a light and doing 60mph in a 30mph zone? 2 dangerous drivers in one week both given lenient sentences ...come to Cornwall if you want to break the law and get away with it !!

Last edited:
Following on from my post.
Same paper , same week.
No licence
No insurance
Ran red light while being pursued by police
60 mph in 30 mph limit

Subject of a previous suspended jail sentence for burglary
Previous convictions for theft , burglary, assault .

Banned for 6months, £50 fine and curfew 9pm to 7am for 6 months

QC said he was not going to activate suspended sentence he was giving the offender another chance.
Ran red light while being pursued by police? I guess they would have been doing extremely high speed!!
Hate to think what would happen if a whole family in their car were hit by these mindless lowlife!!
The court should treat these people as murderers regardless!!

A completely innocent victim being crippled after being hit by a drink driver is also a terrible affliction , both physically and mentally - don't you agree ?

A habitual drink driver is likely to kill or seriously injure one or more people sooner or later .
Compared to other road injuries and deaths, can you say what percentage are drink drivers and how many people that drink actually go on to have a crash where they injure someone, compared to those that make it home without.

If all other measures to stop him driving fail , then cutting off his right foot to make him physically unable to drive would be a drastic last resort .
How? They would just use their left foot. :doh:
Imagine the cost to the nation of all the disabled people and how many times should they be caught before amputation? What is to say that once they get over their drink problem, they won't be a model citizen and never drink and drive again?

Barbaric , yes , but not so different to the punishment of cutting off the hand of a thief which supposedly happens in some other countries .

It is , of course , extremely unlikely to be sanctioned in toothless , soft option UK .
We shouldn't adopt barbaric tendencies just because it is accepted in other countries. The same countries tend to not have any state support services. Imagine if there was no fire service.
Of course , my opinion may be slightly biased
As yours tend to be.

I'll ask again. Have you any idea what problems amputation causes someone?

p.s. I don't condone drink driving, but also don't condone the law acting in a barbaric way.

Last edited:
What about if we cut off his knackers instead :dk: Would that be a compromise :dk: it would also be a bloody good deterrent :D

Compared to other road injuries and deaths, can you say what percentage are drink drivers and how many people that drink actually go on to have a crash where they injure someone, compared to those that make it home without.

No - I don't have the statistics , but you have to accept that reports of drunk drivers killing or injuring innocent bystanders are not uncommon .

How? They would just use their left foot. :doh:
Imagine the cost to the nation of all the disabled people and how many times should they be caught before amputation? What is to say that once they get over their drink problem, they won't be a model citizen and never drink and drive again?

Hopefully the amputation of one foot would be a deterrent ; failing that , chop the other one off - eventually they would be physically unable to drive anything . Personally , I would not object to a lethal injection in the first place . I would say that after three repeated offences they have used up all their chances for leniency and after that they deserve whatever they get .

We shouldn't adopt barbaric tendencies just because it is accepted in other countries. The same countries tend to not have any state support services. Imagine if there was no fire service.

I rather think even the arab countries who practice Sharia Law still have a Fire Service .

As yours tend to be.

I'll ask again. Have you any idea what problems amputation causes someone?

No worse than the problems that drink drivers cause their victims ( who did nothing to bring those problems on themselves ) .

I think you need to take a long look in a mirror.

my mrs cant use either of her (still existent) feet and she can still drive..... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom