Justice is served? Naseem Hamed released after 16 weeks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr E

MB Enthusiast
Car
57 W211 E280 AG
Hmmmm - I can guess the reactions to this........

From Yahoo News:

Former world boxing champion Prince Naseem Hamed is to be freed from prison just 16 weeks into a 15-month sentence for dangerous driving. The 32-year-old - who will be electronically tagged - caused a crash which left a man with fractures to every major bone in his body. Hamed, to be freed next week, wrecked his £320,000 Mercedes McLaren in a high-speed head-on collision near a blind dip in the road.

Motorist Anthony Burgin, who was severely injured in the smash, said: "I am very upset that this has happened.

"I was obviously expecting Mr Hamed to serve a lot more of his sentence.

"What happened to my wife and I was deeply distressing and nearly destroyed our lives.

"I am shocked that after such a serious accident Mr Hamed has been released after less than four months."

Hamed will be tagged under the Home Office's home detention curfew scheme.

A spokesman declined to comment on an individual case, but said electronic tagging was proven to be effective at preventing re-offending.

Personally I did not expect him to have spent 16 weeks inside, I rather thought he would have been tagged earlier.

Crime pays in good ole britain..didnt ya know !!!!.The law is a farce in this country...if justice is needed then people should sort it themselves ...not through the system....It sadddens me so much to say that.

Mr E said:
A spokesman declined to comment on an individual case, but said electronic tagging was proven to be effective at preventing re-offending.
All he did was drive into someone and run off. How is a tag going to stop that?

Seamster15 said:
No Justice, or space left in our Prisons unfortunatley.

No and it is to this govt's shame that it simply won't build enough prisons. Keep saying tough on crime and then telling magistrates and judges to let people out early or not put them in at all.

If any of us had a wife or child horrifically injured by an idiot in a car that should be banned from public roads we would want better justice than this.

hawk20 said:
No and it is to this govt's shame that it simply won't build enough prisons.
I cringe when I read these statements, not that I disagree with sending to prison anyone that deserves to be PUNISHED. We can build as many five star, all singing all dancing modern buildings, as we want, but until a prison sentence acts as a deterrent we will always have overcrowded prisons. When was the last time we heard any Civil Rights Group actually complain about the treatment of offenders (not overcrowding)

Scrap most of the Human Rights legislation and make prisoners work to pay the costs of imprisonment. No visitors, no parcels, no cigarettes (only as a reward for good behaviour and to be smoked straight away)

Vote for me and I'll sort out the tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime!!! :D :D

John the Left-Wing Loon

glojo said:
...no cigarettes (only as a reward for good behaviour and to be smoked straight away)

Vote for me and I'll sort out the tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime!!! :D :D

John the Left-Wing Loon

Yeh, make them smoke them all straight away...

cigarette2.jpg

janner said:
Yeh, make them smoke them all straight away...
:D :D Ouch! :D Just listening to The Doors, Light My Fire. Seems a very apt tune when looking at your picture :D :D

John

Wonder how many weeks it would have been if he had killed the man, instead of smashing everybone in his body ?

Its a tough call, but sometimes no amount of time in jail or detention is seen as enough by the victims, and I'm not even discussing an eye for an eye type punishments here.

I wouldn't want to administer the justice system. Balancing the demands of the public, the needs of the system, the costs of the system, the fact that you have to adhere to a judgement or punishment passed down by a court, etc etc. Nightmare.

I would say this regarding this particular case. For someone in the public eye, as the 'Prince' is, I do believe that the punishment should be served as delivered. Simply put - 14 months is 14 months. If only because the negative public views generated by incidents of celebs getting early release such as this are so damaging to the justice system - and I suspect remove the deterent aim of jailing someone in the first place.

Clarky.

Wonder if he lost any weight while he was in. Was looking a bit porky for someone on the comeback trail in the photos around verdict time.

prison don`t make me larf

prison was a waste of time and tax payers hard earned cash. he`s probably improved on his snooker and pool, is at level 10 of any of the latest games and has caught up on all the latest DVD releases.he`s probably been shown by other borstal boys how to acquire his next motor free of charge. the only thing missing in British prisons are the Germans and there towels( what is this country coming too) :mad:

saorbust said:
Wonder how many weeks it would have been if he had killed the man, instead of smashing everybone in his body ?

Probably 15 weeks :rolleyes: , with a months rehabilitation in the Maldives (to help re-introduce him back to community life) :rolleyes:

The law is a joke .....

I agree with the Californian method of dealing with crooks, 3 strikes and you go down for life (of hard labour), even if you just nicked a hubcap at your third offence.
Seems draconian perhaps, but I don't suppose many re-offend there...

Not that relevant to a hit and run case I suppose, just thought I'd mention it anyway.

Fandango said:
I agree with the Californian method of dealing with crooks, 3 strikes and you go down for life (of hard labour), even if you just nicked a hubcap at your third offence.
Seems draconian perhaps, but I don't suppose many re-offend there...

Not that relevant to a hit and run case I suppose, just thought I'd mention it anyway.

An idea that appeals in principle, but does not work in practice...

When you catch little Billy nicking the hub caps off your car, he might as well shoot you in order to get away with that crime - he knows that because the punishment is so dispropotionate to the crime, his need to get away with it is equally disproportionate.

Its one reason criminals in California go "tooled up" even to commit minor crime and why shopkeepers get shot so they can steal a can of pop.

Oh, and their Gov'ner talks tough, has a tough image to maintain, is thick as 2 short planks and and and.....

:crazy:

"According to media reports, "Prince" Naseem Hamed has sparked some anger today when he told reporters 'at least no one died' as he left prison."

That's the bit that annoyed me.

Swiss Toni said:
Oh, and their Gov'ner talks tough, has a tough image to maintain, is thick as 2 short planks and and and.....
The prisons in California are still overcrowded :eek: :eek:

John

glojo said:
The prisons in California are still overcrowded :eek: :eek:

John

Good. They are not robbing, killing and raping while they're in there. That is how prison works. It doesn't cure; it prevents.

hawk20 said:
Good. They are not robbing, killing and raping while they're in there. That is how prison works. It doesn't cure; it prevents.

I would argue that it does work - look at Nelson Mandela, 30 years inside and after 15 years since his release he hasn't re-offended once. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom