Justice??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Last edited:
Never stayed there. Have stayed in the Warsaw Hilton though................

But lots have stayed in the Paris version, except me.

I don't think I even want to get inside the Paris Hilton....

Sorry I couldn't resist it!

From the local rag...

If the courts only fine you £170 for driving without insurance, why fork out £300 for cover?

That is the question the Road Safety Partnership says drivers are asking.

The group has joined national criticism of Magistrates for not getting tough enough with the insurance dodgers.

Home Office figures show that in 2000, the average fine for driving without insurance was £188 and that 3,321 people were convicted in the County.

By 2004, the numbers charged had risen to 4,781, suggesting persistent clampdowns by police on uninsured drivers were working - but the average fine fell to £179.

The current maximum fine for driving while uninsured is £5,000.

Road Safety Partnership spokesman Greville Burgess said the situation had to be addressed.

"I want to make it quite clear that we respect and appreciate the professionalism of our magistrates," he said.

"They have a tough job and each case has to be treated on its own merits, but we also have to say that the wrong message is being sent out to drivers"

"We have real concerns that the punishments being given out for driving without insurance and more serious road traffic offences are too lenient.

"And we would urge magistrates and judges to consider the implications of their sentences - we must avoid implying the offences are trivial.

"We believe that they have a duty, not only to punish for the individual offence, but also to consider the message they are sending out to the general public."

Mr Burgess said that research had proved links between minor document offences like driving with no insurance and more serious crimes that put lives at risk.

"Studies do show that if minor things like this are investigated properly they often uncover a theme of offending," he said.

"A person who drives with no insurance is more likely to drive without a licence or MoT. That can mean incompetent drivers and unfit vehicles on the roads.

"The message the courts send out must be firm - it's not on to break any road traffic regulations."

Acting deputy justices clerk Mark Chamberlain, said there were many factors that determined sentencing.

"In deciding the level of any fine to be imposed for using a motor vehicle without insurance, the magistrates are assisted by sentencing guidelines which are based on the defendant's income," he said.

"Account is then taken of any aggravating or mitigating factors and also of any credit that must be allowed for a guilty plea.

"This process ensures consistency in the way that these cases are dealt with."

Mr Chamberlain said figures relating purely to financial penalties did not show the full picture.

"It should also be made clear that a fine is not the only penalty that can be imposed," he said.

"Defendants can be disqualified for using a vehicle without insurance.

"And if a disqualification is not imposed, then penalty points are endorsed on the driving record. Two convictions within three years can result in a minimum six month disqualification.

"If a defendant persists in driving without insurance, he would then be driving while disqualified which carries a term of imprisonment of up to six months."

Mr Chamberlain also pointed out that the police now had the power to seize motor vehicles if a driver was found to be without insurance.

A Police spokesman said it was not their place to criticise the sentences of magistrates and judges.

:crazy:

I personally think fines are perhaps not the answer. Does it matter if you fine someone £100 or £1000 if they don't pay?

Crush the driver, or if this is unacceptable then crush the vehicle.

No sympathy with the guilty party at all.

John

Poor Paris has been hauled back to Court and may be sent back to Jail.

I personally think fines are perhaps not the answer. Does it matter if you fine someone £100 or £1000 if they don't pay?

Crush the driver, or if this is unacceptable then crush the vehicle.

No sympathy with the guilty party at all.

John

Crushing the vehicle is the regular response now - and the legislation allows it to be done as part of a process that has nothing to do with the offences progress through the Courts (which is a very good thing).

:bannana:

Crushing the vehicle is the regular response now - and the legislation allows it to be done as part of a process that has nothing to do with the offences progress through the Courts (which is a very good thing).

:bannana:

But from what I have seen the baggers don't seem to care. Prisons, fines, crush the motah, squeeze 'em by the grillocks - nothing seems to work.
Counter to this there is pressure to take peoplr out of prison and downgrade their punishment to Community Service- does anybody really care if they are given community service.
How about a special battalion - bad parking any anything else of which we disapprove and you are off to Eye-Rack.

But from what I have seen the baggers don't seem to care. Prisons, fines, crush the motah, squeeze 'em by the grillocks - nothing seems to work.
I have watched a few TV series one being Bad Boys Army, and the other being where school children were put into 1950's, very early 1960's type schooling. What these programs highlight is that people nowadays do not like discipline. We have had a whole generation of people that have grown up without any self discipline and this has been passed down to their children. Without this respect, laws, and the courts are a waste of everyones time. What's the point of imprisonment when the offender laughs and admits to having been to prison on several occasions. We spend all our time worrying about contravening the rights of the accused and spending millions on making sure we pamper to every demand of the offender. rant, rant, anger, anger. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

John the future Prisons Minister

crushing the vehicle does not always work. as the uninsured guy has a week to find a mate who is insured with third party or whatever to come and take his car out of the pound. And the cycle goes on cos as soon as the car is out of the pound he just goes on uninsured.
The reality is the government do not care about insurance as the money does not come to them.
Now if you do not tax your car, No mercy whatsoever and God help you.
as that is their money.

crushing the vehicle does not always work. as the uninsured guy has a week to find a mate who is insured with third party or whatever to come and take his car out of the pound. And the cycle goes on cos as soon as the car is out of the pound he just goes on uninsured.
Crush it. The longer it is kept in a compound the longer the poor hard done by, misunderstood victimised, harrassed individual has to get legal aid to get the vehicle back.

If someone allows a friend to drive a car without positively checking to make sure there is valid insurance cover; TOUGH...... Crush it. The individual might not care about the vehicle being crushed, but at least it is a form of justice. Especially if the defendant does not pay any fine, nor carry out any service order imposed by a court. Crushing the vehicle gets one car off the road (only leaves several million others)

John the crusher

Crush it. The longer it is kept in a compound the longer the poor hard done by, misunderstood victimised, harrassed individual has to get legal aid to get the vehicle back.

If someone allows a friend to drive a car without positively checking to make sure there is valid insurance cover; TOUGH...... Crush it. The individual might not care about the vehicle being crushed, but at least it is a form of justice. Especially if the defendant does not pay any fine, nor carry out any service order imposed by a court. Crushing the vehicle gets one car off the road (only leaves several million others)

John the crusher

I agree with you john. What i am saying is the law allows for a week to get insurance or find someone who has who can take it out of the pound. Unless this changes people will get away with it.

E.g i drive around uninsured. i get stopped and the car gets impounded.
I now go and get my mum who has third party insurance to drive any car with permission of owners ,and she goes to the pound and drives it out.
Gives it back to me and the cycle continues.
I know police forces that have impounded a car three times in a week uninsured but it always get collected by the guys dad.

Last edited:
I know police forces that have impounded a car three times in a week uninsured but it always get collected by the guys dad.

They'd have paid at least £105 a time to get it released and will be prosecuted for each of the offences, so I'm not sure anyone is getting off lightly?!

They'd have paid at least £105 a time to get it released and will be prosecuted for each of the offences, so I'm not sure anyone is getting off lightly?!

Still cheaper than paying £2000 for an 18yr old insurance certificate , and who cares about prosecution. These guys are not afraid of the justice system.
The worst they can get is a bigger fine which they will not pay or a stupid community order or even more rubbish like bound over to keep the peace type legal jargon which is as usual of no deterrence.
is the debate not about the soft sentence to michael

Poor Paris has been hauled back to Court and may be sent back to Jail.

She is back inside.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom