JVC Smart TV gone wrong 2 months out of warranty...Any Suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When I worked in electronics making airbag modules,the Panasonic engineers that serviced our machines told me JVC products came out of Scotland and the SMT machines they used were ancient and jumped about the shop floor. Could have some bearing on reliability issues. :)

When I worked in electronics making airbag modules,the Panasonic engineers that serviced our machines told me JVC products came out of Scotland and the SMT machines they used were ancient and jumped about the shop floor. Could have some bearing on reliability issues. :)
Apparently JVC goggleboxes for the Euro/UK market are now made in Turkey:
Vestel - Wikipedia

No need to get your credit card company involved...as said legally it's still under warranty. The warranty they gave you is in addition to your statutory rights....which states that electronic products of reasonable price should have a life of at least five years. My DVD recorder (purchased from Currys) failed a year outside its shop warranty ....the spotty assistant said it's out of warranty....I said "what's that got to do with anything?"....a five minute chat with the manager and i was walking out with new one tucked under my arm. They rely on people not knowing their rights....which clearly the OP doesn't....no offence OP!

No need to get your credit card company involved...as said legally it's still under warranty. The warranty they gave you is in addition to your statutory rights....which states that electronic products of reasonable price should have a life of at least five years. My DVD recorder (purchased from Currys) failed a year outside its shop warranty ....the spotty assistant said it's out of warranty....I said "what's that got to do with anything?"....a five minute chat with the manager and i was walking out with new one tucked under my arm. They rely on people not knowing their rights....which clearly the OP doesn't....no offence OP!
I agree some companies do rely on customer not knowing their right, not wanting to have a difficult conversation and not being bothered. To be fair they also rely on their sales people not knowing either, that must also reduce the number of replacements.

Member a few posts up above with cooker problems after packing up just out of warranty see how he got on .

Member a few posts up above with cooker problems after packing up just out of warranty see how he got on .
I didn't push hard, but my request for a FOC replacement part was refused. They suggested I spoke to parts department and ask for a discount. I already had a 15% off discount code so used that. Part was around £30 delivered (assuming that it is the right part).
Looks an easy fit so will tackle in a couple of weeks when feeling a bit better.
Should have pushed them harder but for £30, it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Still no result...waiting on the credit card company...before I go and see the local Currys manager in person

Update on the TV...Because I bought it in the Mother in laws name...credit card company can't help as she has dementia and unable to communicate with them...Tool it into our local Curry's...Nice helpful bloke said I would have to pay £95 for an out of warranty check to determine its a manufacturing fault....Yippee!....they agree its a screen fault...cant fix it though as new screens unavailable.... He said they would refund the £95 and the purchase price less a percentage for previous usage...So I have accepted their 2nd off of £271 after a little negotiation....Bough a Hisense 50 inch from Argos for £295 with a 2 year guarantee....not too bad a result in the end...

Better off buying from Richer Sounds or John Lewis, they throw in 6 year warranty.

Reactions: 190
Because they know that legally its what you are entitled to anyway! (Five to six years on electrical goods or reasonable cost).

I'm glad the OP is happy with the deal.....but legally he was entitled to a full refund or replacement and I would not have accepted anything less.

Hi Guys...JVC Smart TV gone wrong 2 months out of warranty...
It has a series of horizontal coloured lines on the top third of the picture...
Tried a factory reset...no good...contacted Currys technical dept....They basically said tough...nothing we can do...
I would have thought it should last at least 3 years...It was bought using a credit card in July 2021
Any suggestions other than paying for an engineer to come and fix...
Thanks Eddie

It's very simple;
The warranty is not worth the paper it's written on.
MOST important; Fit for purpose . . . . .the product must be fit for the purpose for which it was sold.

Any magistrate in a small claims court will rule in your favour
First; Politely threaten court action
Second; Reafirm your intent when the above is ignored
Third; Go through the small claims court
Include all your costs, including estimates for time and inconvenience

I've done it, for a TV and a car battery from Tayna

A hose on my boiling water tap burst last Sunday
4 weeks out of a 2 year warranty
Wrote a polite email, mentioning "fit for purpose" and asking for help.

Complete tap and 4 hoses assembly due to arrive tomorrow, but, given the time of year, I would guess it will be the 28th or 29th, an inconvenience, but, never the less, the supplier knows when to offer support and just outside warranty is one of them of those times

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom