K&n air filter. Is it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mbclk2008

Car
clk, 2.1 CDI, 08, sport
Hey, is it worth putting k&n reusable air filter?

I think the consensus is...no. They can lead to problems with the MAF.

K&N say that the MAF issue is a myth (but then they would say that, would'nt they... :D )

But even so... as renault21ts said, there's little point.

With the filters on modern cars locked inside a housing you will notice little difference in induction noise (unlike the deep induction roar of old...).

Neither BHP or MPG will be significantly affected by the filter change on its own.

In fact, K&N no longer advertise their filters as a performance upgrade, but as a 'green' upgrade (because you don't have to throw away the old paper filter every four years...).

And this post comes from someone who was K&N No.1 fan back in the eighties... but on twin side draught 45 DCOE Webers this is a different story :)

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with a K&N panel filter as I reckon any marginal gains are offset by the simple fact you'd need to clean & re-oil the filter, incorrect re-oiling could damage the MAF. Now, if you were considering a K&N cone filter to accompany other engine performance upgrades, then it might be worthwhile. Basically stick with the standard paper filter and get a remap.

the only things the k&n will do is make servicing cheaper (because you clean the air filter and don't buy a new one) and it will make your car louder it wont make a difference in performance Mighty Car Mods did a test with the air filter poking out through the front of the car to get as much cold air as possible (with the headlight removed) and gained 1bhp :L look up mighty car mods on YouTube they are awesome

the only things the k&n will do is make servicing cheaper (because you clean the air filter and don't buy a new one)...

You pay more for the M&N filter initially.

And you then need to purchase both the oil and the cleaning solvent.

Now given that on most Mercs the air filter is due replacement every four years... how many years would you need to keep the car for the K&N's to work-out cheaper?

I recon about either years at least...?

K&N say that the MAF issue is a myth (but then they would say that, would'nt they... :D )

But even so... as renault21ts said, there's little point.

With the filters on modern cars locked inside a housing you will notice little difference in induction noise (unlike the deep induction roar of old...).

Neither BHP or MPG will be significantly affected by the filter change on its own.

In fact, K&N no longer advertise their filters as a performance upgrade, but as a 'green' upgrade (because you don't have to throw away the old paper filter every four years...).

And this post comes from someone who was K&N No.1 fan back in the eighties... but on twin side draught 45 DCOE Webers this is a different story :)

I am also a K&N consumer, 3 cars 3 filters... it will not give any extra poder as it would in mechanicaly controled engines... ECU will compensate the gain in air with less fuel consumption the very list, but extra power on these engines, I didn't notice any... tested on a W203 C220 CDI Estate 110kw and on a Patrol Y61 2.8TD6 Intercooler SE and I keep buying them for the advantage of price in long mileage... after 4 filter change (paper) these filters become cheaper, because the price of filter and cleaning kit are less than 4 times a paper filter... I use them and keep recomending them... they work fine for me :)

So there you have it. No significant power or fuel consumption advantage, POSSIBLE problems with the MAF, and at Portuguese prices, you would see a cost saving after 16 years.... (though if you wished to be REALLY pedantic, you would need to factor in the theoretical interest the capital you tied up in the original purchase would earn over those 16 years). See DM's Post #6 for the short answer...

K&N have been going for years and continue to do so, how can they if there filter's are so poor??

That being i said im sticking with my normal paper element one

I'm an avid K&N oil filter fan. Love them to bits as the nut on top means I don't need to jam a screwdriver into the canister when it's seized. Also, it means that I don't need to bring a oil wrench out in the field.

That said, you've asked about the air filters, and I can't see the benefit there. The noise wont improve that much as it's locked far and deep in an airbox/pipe, there no performance increase, and you still need to oil them - which given the low cost of disposable paper filters, I doubt works out much cheaper...

M.

Last edited:
I had BMC filters in my C63 which are very similar. Beautifully made items but made absolutely no difference at all. Longer term they may be cheaper as you can clean them and reuse them, maybe.

Very informative video, I don't think many people can argue with an engine guru like Dave Vizard, he's probably forgotten more about engines/tuning than 99% of us know on this forum!

I reckon you're on the money there.

My car came with K&Ns. I've no idea what difference they make as I've never had paper in this car although I probably wouldn't have bothered fitting them myself.

However, I've had no MAF problems in getting on for 4 years and longer because the previous owner fitted them.

Key is to clean them and re-oil, but not over-oil!, them when they are supposed to be done.

Very informative video, I don't think many people can argue with an engine guru like Dave Vizard, he's probably forgotten more about engines/tuning than 99% of us know on this forum!

I think we are talking apples and pairs.

What is the surface area of a standard mini air filter and flow rate of a standard mini air box?

A Mini K&N does away with the airbox unlike that of modern cars.

I spend £15 or something on a new pair of paper filter every 12 months - i cant see that I'd be making any real savings by re-oiling a K&N. I'd make more savings in an hour by being more gentle with my right foot.

Last edited:
Any cotton filter is bad because they are so thin and have such large holes that potentially damaging grit can pass through them quite easily, that is why they are oiled; the oil holds onto the smallest particles.
You're better off with foam filters like Pipercross.
The costs involved are negligable. You'd be better off never having more than 1/4 tank of fuel in your car at any moment to save weight...

K&N specfically are living of the repuation of the 57i kits of the 90's which were actually quite good. Modern induction systems all take cold air feeds now, rendering any aftermarket kits redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom