k&n air filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a K&N panel filter in the 16v. The intake roar is already impressive in the 190 2.3-16v's but the K&N takes it up a notch. It sounds fantastic.

The car did feel a bit more responsive once fitted but i don't know if that was just the placebo effect.

I have had a K&N filter for 3yrs but don't seem to have or see dust/dirt in it. Compared to standard paper filters like Bosch you tend to see the dirt and know when it's due to be changed or dusted. I honestly wonder where all the dirt/dust go? I have read that test have showed that K&N filters would allow more particles through therefore increasing engine wear. I would be getting expert advice and seriously considering taking it off. The increase in power is without doubt though.

I put a k&n panel filter into my w201 and noticed no difference.

I cant see a panel filter making any real difference to a Merc, an air filter alone isnt going to make magical improvments to any normally aspirated model, and its the airbox itself that looks a bit average to me so 'may' be a restirction to some tuned Kompressor models.

All that's available is panel filters though, so you need to do something yourself, or just dont bother.

An hour or two cutting and welding and drilling and mine is different now...
inlet.jpg

I have two v.large GrpA K+N cone filters on there now, they were just not fitted when I took the pic.

Much better, though the noise would DEFFO not be to many MB owners tastes, it sounds like a vintage supercharged race car rather than a refined cruiser now...

I cant see a panel filter making any real difference to a Merc, an air filter alone isnt going to make magical improvments to any normally aspirated model, and its the airbox itself that looks a bit average to me so 'may' be a restirction to some tuned Kompressor models.

All that's available is panel filters though, so you need to do something yourself, or just dont bother.

An hour or two cutting and welding and drilling and mine is different now...
inlet.jpg

I have two v.large GrpA K+N cone filters on there now, they were just not fitted when I took the pic.

Much better, though the noise would DEFFO not be to many MB owners tastes, it sounds like a vintage supercharged race car rather than a refined cruiser now...

Nice engine bay! Looks tidy.

had a k & n filter in my C36 for 4 years and 2 in my C55 for 2 years. No problems at all. Check out k & n's website for info on the supposed maf failures.

had a k & n filter in my C36 for 4 years and 2 in my C55 for 2 years. No problems at all. Check out k & n's website for info on the supposed maf failures.

Hi,
I have had one on my C230K for the last 100,000 miles and 8 years and no issues at all, in fact it actually improved my fuel consumption, and not to mention how much it has saved me over the years in replacement OEM paper filters.

I do honestly noticed some difference in power output, just wondering with the dirt/dust where they go? cos it hardly ever gets really dirty like normal filters. I agree it's cheaper on the long run.

No problem with mine but no difference in performance.

If you go for a K&N, remind anyone doing servicing in the future not to change them!

I do honestly noticed some difference in power output, just wondering with the dirt/dust where they go? cos it hardly ever gets really dirty like normal filters. I agree it's cheaper on the long run.

Hi,
Try cleaning it using the proper kit and you will see the dirt released, I clean mine every service, with only the recommnded cleaner and use the reccomended oil and apply it as per K&N's instruction I also only ever oil the side of the filter that is exposed to the atomshpere, ie, not the engine/MAF side of the filter, though I think you might be quite unlucky to get oil on a 230K MAF as the miniscule amount that could possibly be released by an over oilled filter would have to go through god knows how much induction piping and an intercooler as well, before reaching the MAF.
I have never really felt a power difference or even sound difference with mine but the fuel consumption is very noticably better, and I would actuallty say the engine runs smoother with it than a standard MB paper filter.
I will be buying filters for my 43 at some point as MB want £80 for replacement filters, I can get K&N's deliver to my door cheaper than that, with the knowledge I have gained by using one in my C230K, they will soon pay for themselves.
Not sure whether to go for K&N's though, have been thinking of BMC filters (is that the right name?) or ITG Green filters, but I think it will be BMC as Olly has ITG and it would be interseting to compare the two side by side on a rolling road, which I will be booking mine in for again once I have completed a few jobs.

I have one in my 98' C240T since 6 years now with NO problems. Does increase a bit the intake noise (reasonable) and may have increased slightly the performance (subjective), but I havn't really noticed any difference in overall consumption, but then I didn't measure the consumption before installation.

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the tips, just bought the cleaning kit today and can't wait to go to work.

Hi,
Make sure when you do it you don,t need the car for 24 hours as you will need to thoroughly dry the cleaned filter before oiling and replacing it in the car, i just used my old paper filter for a day or two just so i could carry on using the car.

Good tips, need to get a paper filter for standby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom