K&N Filter removed Engine still louder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Michaels

Car
2008 C-Class 180 SE Kompressor 1.8 Saloon
Hello I put in k&n and it made no difference in a couple of months driving months driving apart of my very quiet engine becomming louder.

And now that I swapped it back to the original filter, the engine won't go back to its original sound and has remained louder.

Nothing I did so far like resetting everything back to default has brought back the engines original quietness. A bit disappointed really.

Anything I can do?
Many thanks
Pete

No it remained as loud as it became after the k&n filter was fitted. I swapped it back yesterday to make sure and no difference. In or out both the same. And I know how the engine sounded before.
When I took it out last week I expected it to return to the way it was before (nice and quiet) but it didn't.
It's not impossible to live with though, I just wonder what the reason could be.

What's the sound difference- induction roar- kompressor whine- timing gear noise---exhaust resonance?? The change in engine note may have just been a co-incidence with your filter change and not related.

What's the sound difference- induction roar- kompressor whine- timing gear noise---exhaust resonance?? The change in engine note may have just been a co-incidence with your filter change and not related.
Thank you. After the k&n filter the engine sounded more lively and I could suddenly hear the tickover, which I didn't before.
The k&n didn't make any difference in fuel consumption and I thought it was actually nicer driving quiet as it was before and decided to swap it back to the old original filter.
But after the change the engine sounds exactly as it was with the k&n.

Its not annoying and not a problem sound at all, it's the k&n sound, but I wonder why it doesn't go back to the way it was before. I checked pipes and everything, nothing is loose our open.

If everything is back to as it was/should be I'd go with your heightened awareness of the engine sound, because you are, since changing to K&N, consciously listening.

No it's not back as it used to be. The engine sounds as if the K&n filter is still inside even though I swapped it back to the original stock filter.

Before without the K&N fighter the engine was much quieter. We always commented on how nice and quiet the engine was.

When the K&n filter went in, it increased in running noise which was expected. So taking it out should decrease it again back the way it was before, but it hasn't.

No it's not back as it used to be
I meant if it is mechanically/structurally back to how it should be. The sound it makes now may just be how you are now perceiving it ...

I'm down to suggest looking for Air Filter housings not correctly fitted (gaps somewhere maybe).

An old friend of mine was an obsessive Air filter changer, every 3000 miles his mini got a new one, and he felt he was "preserving the life of the car". Caused much amusement as that was completely OTT. Anyway, it turned out he had the part number wrong, so for 5 years he was installing a filter that didn't touch the top of the housing....all the inlet air was by-passing it!

Tricky things, human ears......you just can't trust them.

Ears, your only defence when you are asleep Yes thanks I have another look. After k&n it began to have a little roar and it's still roaring now, before that it was like a mouse.

It sounds (no pun intended...) as though you've disturbed something else in the intake plumbing when fitting the K&N filter.

It sounds (no pun intended...) as though you've disturbed something else in the intake plumbing when fitting the K&N filter.
I took it out and in again thinking the same but still the same, may be there is a leak somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom