K&N Filter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattyfish16

Car
E350 CDi AMG Sport Coupe 2010
Hi,

2010, E350 Coupe CDI - K&N Filter, would you bother? Any benefits?

We use and supply BMC filters. Much better quality IMO.

Hi, I've put K+Ns on just about everything I've ever had with an engine, bikes and cars (not the lawnmower - yet). I find them to be great and last forever, well, a lot longer than the rest of the car! They breathe well and filter well. There has been a lot talked about having to clean and re-oil them, but you only have to do this often if you run your car/bike in the Paris/Dakar rally, otherwise just tap the dead flies out every few months. Normal car running will only necessitate a full on clean and re-oil after about 50,000 - 100,000 miles. Then onto the question of the oil affecting MAFs, well only if you over do it (i.e oiling as often as you'd change a paper filter). IMO, there's no reason not to use K+Ns though I'd bow to anyone's experience of a similar type such as BMC etc.

As above why not I also use them

We use and supply BMC filters. Much better quality IMO.

I had these on my C63, much better quality? Yes. Any difference? No. Worth it? Well technically long term they can be cleaned and re-oiled but not really.

So I would say for your car, don't bother - treat it to a tank of VPower diesel.

I had these on my C63, much better quality? Yes. Any difference? No. Worth it? Well technically long term they can be cleaned and re-oiled but not really.

So I would say for your car, don't bother - treat it to a tank of VPower diesel.

+1

I've got a pair of K & N's for sale to fit a SL350

Never made any difference other than induction noise. Yes, you could hear the engine suck in the air - which admittedly was good!

I think they are one of several things you fit as part of an overall upgrade and tune, eg, exhaust, cats, remap, etc.
But by themselves, I don't think they contribute much.

Cheers,
Robert

+1

I think they are one of several things you fit as part of an overall upgrade and tune, eg, exhaust, cats, remap, etc.
But by themselves, I don't think they contribute much.

This would be my answer as well. If you're allowing more air in, then the map should be adjusted to show this, otherwise is it really worth it?

I've also heard tales of oiled air filters messing with the MAF, though never first hand, and it seems to be more on the American forums.

This would be my answer as well. If you're allowing more air in, then the map should be adjusted to show this, otherwise is it really worth it?

I've also heard tales of oiled air filters messing with the MAF, though never first hand, and it seems to be more on the American forums.

+1. the oiling issue is down to using too much but as said earlier in normal use you'll get 50,000 plus miles before worrying about it.

Makes a nicer induction noise on my N/A 55 but no power differences and nothing at all on the 5.5 Bi-Turbo!

never known a airfilter yet that gave any noticeable difference other than better filtration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom