K&N filters, worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaz74

Car
C32 AMG
Having a poke around the engine bay last night, I opened up the air boxes and the filters are more dirty than I expected. They've done about 5k miles, but the amount of dust and flies was surprising.

Anyway, rather than chuck in some standard paper ones, I thought about maybe dropping in a pair of K&Ns and just thought I'd see if anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't. I've used them on most of my previous cars with no adverse effects, but we all know these Benz's can be a fickle car! :D

I thought the oil on K+N filters can cause problems with the mass airflow sensor?-stick with standard MB filters

My air filters weren't due for changing at the last service, but took it out the other day and gave it a clean, quite a bit of dust and insect bodies came out figured it can't do any harm.

Just do a search on here, there are many threads about this. Some say ok some say not, pay your money and make your choice.

I run two in my SL600 without issue. The only time you are going to get a problem with the oil killing the MAF's is if you over oil them and that is not required for 100,000 miles.

Last edited:
I thought the oil on K+N filters can cause problems with the mass airflow sensor?-stick with standard MB filters

I have had K & N's on various cars, with no issues, BUT used on an Audi S2 which had a k & n on, sounded lovely but I was forever cleaning the MAF.

There's no issues with K&N or similar on MB, the problems start when people clean the filters and over oil them which contaminates the MAF. IMHO there are better filters out there than K&N. I use BMC on all my cars and never once had an issue with MAF's or any other component :)

Having a poke around the engine bay last night, I opened up the air boxes and the filters are more dirty than I expected. They've done about 5k miles, but the amount of dust and flies was surprising.

Anyway, rather than chuck in some standard paper ones, I thought about maybe dropping in a pair of K&Ns and just thought I'd see if anyone has any reasons why I shouldn't. I've used them on most of my previous cars with no adverse effects, but we all know these Benz's can be a fickle car! :D

If the air filters are only 5k miles old, just give them a dust off and hoover :eek:

Wouldn't bother with K&N or other aftermarket filters personally - it's a common topic on here but the consensus is that they offer no performance gains and are a riskier alternative to standard pleated paper.

AMG wouldn't have overlooked such a simple item as an air filter if it restricted performance.

Will

I think they generally just give you a good induction sound as opposed to any real performance gains.

Just do a search on here, there are many threads about this. Some say ok some say not, pay your money and make your choice.

I run two in my SL600 without issue. The only time you are going to get a problem with the oil killing the MAF's is if you over oil them and that is not required for 100,000 miles.

Cheers EDZ, that was my train of thought. Chances are, I'll never oil them and if I did do 100k miles, I'd just get a new pair!

I'm in two minds still, but I really appreciate all the feedback!

I'll mull it over while I scoff my lunch! :D

If K&N air filters don't need cleaning/oiling for 100k miles, why would the proper standard ones need replacing at just 5k miles (?)

Cheers EDZ, that was my train of thought. Chances are, I'll never oil them and if I did do 100k miles, I'd just get a new pair!

I'm in two minds still, but I really appreciate all the feedback!

I'll mull it over while I scoff my lunch! :D

Hi,
The filters come correctly oiled from the manufacturers, like has been said the issues arise from over oiling and applying the oil from the engine side of the filter (MAF side).
The filters need the oil to perform as they were designed, the oil is the medium which dirt dust particles are caught in, so not a good idea not to oil them.
I have them in both of my cars, though to say they improve performance I can,t say but my C230K showed a small MPG improvement, and I can,t drive my 43/55 sensibly long enough to tell, besides this would be a bit pointless too as I don,t know what the standard 55 engine in a w202 would do as the K&N's have been fitted since the conversion.
By choice I would of fitted BMC filters, but I could,nt find anyone with them actually in stock, they wanted me to order them then they would get them directly shipped to me from their suppliers, within a few weeks, but as I needed them quick I decided to get K&N's ECP had them in stock.

All you ever need to know on why paper filters compromise performance is HERE

Hmm, a load of spiel from the sellers of 'the world's best airfilters' :D :eek:

As above, nothing like impartial advice... :doh:

All you ever need to know on why paper filters compromise performance is HERE

Right, think I'll get a pair! ;) Cheers for that, made an interesting read!

I never said it was impartial advice, I said paper filters compromise performance and the K&N site explains why, as does the BMC site, Pipercross site and Green site.

When I see a race car that uses paper filters then I'll know they are better. :D

Blue JR filter in my C240T since 8 years now. Cleaned it the other day after around 3 years since last wash. Didn't notice too much dirt or insects. A bit of Hoover and a dip in cleaning fluid for 24h. Then washed in warm soapy water and let drip dry overnight. Lightly oiled (press spray) the outside surface and installed in air box.... perfect. I don't notice a power increase, but it does free up the intake noise :thumb:

You might find you have less dirt in the airbox after fitting a free-flow filter. ;)

When I see a race car that uses paper filters then I'll know they are better. :D

When was the last time you saw a racing car with 40,000 miles on the same airfilter, used in dusty conditions?

Comparing racing cars which operate for short times and on clean tracks to road cars is pretty pointless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom