'KAY' personal plate wanted - help me search?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A good choice, certainly no doubting what it says, and an excellent price.

I've done a similar thing twice now, and on both occassions I just got the plates made up - admittedly this is more complex with the latest rules, but show plates would do - and wrapped them up. You could always pop the plates on the car, and when you need to use the cars remove the 'new' plates until transfer is complete. Doesn't take long these days.

so there is no way i could get them put onto the car legally myself without her knowing? when i got my reg number it was all done the same day at my local DVLA office but it was my plate and my car. After that all i did was tell the insurance company and that was that. In Scotland you dont need to show the V5 and proof of id to get plates made up so not a problem for me to get plates made up in a shop.

The DVLA website is best. It includes VAT and the £80 assignment fee, both which other companies charge you for.

so there is no way i could get them put onto the car legally myself without her knowing?

I didn't even try to be honest. Maybe call your local DVLA office and ask?

so there is no way i could get them put onto the car legally myself without her knowing? when i got my reg number it was all done the same day at my local DVLA office but it was my plate and my car. After that all i did was tell the insurance company and that was that. In Scotland you dont need to show the V5 and proof of id to get plates made up so not a problem for me to get plates made up in a shop.

It can be done, in this way although the insurance company bit is the trickiest.

I've done it a couple of times like this, once for my Aunt and also for my borther in law.

As long as you can get the V5/C and MOT cert (if applicable) then you can either go to your local DVLA VRO or send it in to them by post. In these cases where the registered keeper is different I've sent a covering letter stating that the plate is a gift and have asked for the Authorisation to make number plate certificate to be issued / posted to my own address.

The insurance company would be the stumbling block as they will only take instructions from the policy holder. However you could have the plate assigned and the number plates put on the car so long as she doesn't drive it until she's told her insurance company.

Otherwise just do what Bobby_Dazzler suggested and get some show plates to wrap up. Did that for my niece on her 1st birthday :D

Legally / technically you should be able to have plates made using the V778 (retention document) however in tha past few years I've never been able to do that. Most main dealers are strict about this, I recall Finchley Road Audi needed the car as well as the registration document and ID. Their local policy was that they needed to fix the plates to the car! :wallbash:

Let me know if you need any more info / advice....

Thanks. I've bought the plate now. (via DVLA) I just hope Mrs SilverSaloon doesnt open the letter from DVLA in the post thinking its a speeding fine, or it has any identifying new number plate markings shown through the little envelope window :wallbash:

i'll phone my local DVLA office once the certificate comes through to see what can be done. i hate the place though as i was there for about an hour last time waiting in a queue.... never mind! I should be able to get the plates made up without issue - most online number plate suppliers can supply legal plates with the correct markings i believe (hope). as i live in scotland you dont need to show proof of ownership anyway at local number plate makers. i have all the documentation for the car.

I agree the insurance is the biggest problem. Birthday is also on a tuesday so she cant just ring before she leaves for work at 7:30 either :wallbash:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom