'KAY' personal plate wanted - help me search?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

I am looking for a personalised reg plate for my wife's car (as a surprise birthday present; ie come out one day and its on the car). Her name is Kay.

i've seen this, which looks a good price for a suffix plate, but can anyone suggest anything else and a good/better place to buy?

KAY 88V - for about £2k.

KAY 199V (and a few other similar ones with different numbers) - for £1200

£2k is more than i wanted to pay to be honest but open to suggestions. i dont want a prefix plate or a new style plate - it needs to have KAY at the start with as little numbers as poss at the end.

please dont lets start a debate on whether personalised plates are good/bad etc....we've been there before ;) i also dont want to mess with the numberplate at all, it needs to stay 100% legally spaced etc.

cheers

derek

Last edited:
Plates are a good investment in most cases, buy one today for £2k and in a few years as the number of vehicles on the road increases the value of your plate is likely to go up. But then again £2k is a fair chunk of cash to loose to a plate.

Last edited:
I reckon KAY 4C Is a bargain at £400 reserve. I think you can bid on line

Hi

thanks everyone - i'll definatly check out the DVLA auction as it looks like the best bet since i'm in no rush anyway (birthday is end of april)

Number Plates, Private number plates, Personalised registration, DVLA Registration numbers seems to be the best bet otherwise for suffix plates as far as i can see.

KAY 4C would be perfect and i'll definatly be bidding, but suspect against other companies etc, but you never know.

does anyone know if its best to bid at the last minute (ie like ebay) or just to put in a bid at anytime?

thanks

Derek

i also like that too; looks quite snazzy. but i like the auction one better, but definatly something to consider if i dont win the auction.

out of interest all these number plate places have the same numbers on - do they really own the numberplate then? if not is there a better way to purchase? i read a few years back (when i got my own personalised plate) always go to DVLA for the plate - but they dont seem to have the suffix plates listed at all.... apart form the auction stuff

out of interest all these number plate places have the same numbers on - do they really own the numberplate then?..........

No, they act as brokers or middlemen between people who have registered an interest in selling a plate and those wishing to buy.

No, they act as brokers or middlemen between people who have registered an interest in selling a plate and those wishing to buy.

ah, so the plate may not actually be for sale at all?

i quite like this too:

ALF 222A (its to go on an Alfa).... but would prefer a "kay" plate she can put on future cars etc.

Speedyreg do own a lot of their plates, but those are mostly the Irish plates where they own a load of scooters!! :D

out of interest all these number plate places have the same numbers on - do they really own the numberplate then? if not is there a better way to purchase?

Most of the dealers sell stock on behalf of private sellers (for a fee) hence why you may see many of the same plates with multiple dealers. Some do own their own stock.

i read a few years back (when i got my own personalised plate) always go to DVLA for the plate - but they dont seem to have the suffix plates listed at all.... apart form the auction stuff

That's true if the plate your purchasing is 'unissued', so that really only applies to the Prefix plates and the current style registrations. If you want a true dateless plate or a suffix plate then your only choice really is to use one of the dealers or a DVLA auction.

So if you're after a prefix or current style plate, always check if it's available via the DVLA first. Many speculators and dealers try to buy attractive plates from the new issues. I've bought a number of plates on the day they came out e.g. the A, B & S prefixes, lines would open a 8am and you'd constantly be trying to get through. If I recall correctly we were limited to buying two plates at a time on the first day of issue.

Hi Silver...

If you bid with a fixed bid put a figure thats random, so rather than £1200, £1400, £1780 try to go for £1208, £1407, £1786 etc

I know i did this on sealed bid for a house and 'won' the next bid by a very small amount as most people choose whole figures.

Hi Silver...

If you bid with a fixed bid put a figure thats random, so rather than £1200, £1400, £1780 try to go for £1208, £1407, £1786 etc

I know i did this on sealed bid for a house and 'won' the next bid by a very small amount as most people choose whole figures.

Agree with that, I always end up bidding with an odd number (where it's permitted) and it works. Also don't forget that in addition to the hammer price you have to add; VAT, buyers fee & the assignment fee.

Hi Derek,

I don't know if you remember the reg on my SL, but it's K7 followed by my surname (as good as)! It may be worth considering if you run out of other options, but probably won't suit if you have a long surname, unless you can find her initials.

DVLA here

Available at the next DVLA auction.. :D

f831bfea.jpg

Cheers,

Gaz

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom