Keen on new c-class (w205?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abzthemanc

Car
W205 220 Bluetec AMG Line
Hi guys, looking to join the MB club, currently a Honda owner, and previously was BMW.

Has test driven the new C-Class, W205 I believe? Keen on the 220 Bluetec AMG Sport. The merc has turned my head, and the lots of toys on offer seems to have sealed the deal.

I'm getting the car on a company car lease, and have just noticed that the Petrol C200 is quite a bit cheaper per month. I'm normally keen on the DERV due to the MPG however the lower price of the petrol may sway me.

Main question is, whats the performance like of the Petrol engine compared to the 220 Diesel? The petrol is quoted as having more horses, but with less torque will it still have the same pulling power on the motorway?

Thoughts all appreciated.

PS also deciding on the colour, but can't tell the difference between Tenorite Grey and Palladium Silver??

I've got a petrol C180 blue efficiency of the older model (W204) and as long as you are in the right gear it's very lively. Certainly enough power to overtake easily and quite capable of a relaxed cruise at 100 mph where it is legal to do so although there is a bit of turbo lag. I believe that the W205 is a twin turbo (although if I'm wrong i'm sure that someone will correct me) - if it is there should be no appreciable turbo lag to worry about.

Mine's tenorite grey - I really like the colour - I think palladium silver is a bit lighter in shade.

Driving position, seat comfort, stability, brakes etc - IMO all very good indeed. Certainly the W204 is the best saloon car I have owned.

I will be getting a petrol C205 next spring. Just like quietness compared to my C204 250cdi . Also, with differential in petrol/diesel prices now it seems to make sense

Depends on your annual mileage really.

I would say that anything south of 10k a year, go with petrol.
Otherwise, my choice would be diesel.

I believe the W205 2 litre turbo petrol is single turbo at least the lower UK MARKET powered one the C200

At W205 launch, there is a 1.6-liter turbo petrol for C180 (156 hp),?? 2.0-liter turbo petrol for C200 (184 hp) UK and C250 (211 hp)USA and other markets
I expect they are all versions of the well known M271evo-- but the bigger ones bored to 1991cc from the old 1796cc----------
DE18LA (M271Evo, 271.8XX)

This is the previous version of M271 engine family. Dimensions are the same as E18ML and DE18ML, but the supercharger has been replaced with a turbocharger; like the DE18ML it uses the CGI (Stratified Charged Gasoline Injection) gasoline direct injection. Output ranges from 156 PS (115 kW) at 5200 rpm to 204 PS (150 kW) at 5500 rpm.

Cheers guys for the info.

Difficult to predict my mileage with the job I have. Right now diesel would be good but who knows in a few months.

Still no closer to my decision...

I've got a petrol C180 blue efficiency of the older model (W204) and as long as you are in the right gear it's very lively. Certainly enough power to overtake easily and quite capable of a relaxed cruise at 100 mph where it is legal to do so although there is a bit of turbo lag. I believe that the W205 is a twin turbo (although if I'm wrong i'm sure that someone will correct me) - if it is there should be no appreciable turbo lag to worry about.

Mine's tenorite grey - I really like the colour - I think palladium silver is a bit lighter in shade.

Driving position, seat comfort, stability, brakes etc - IMO all very good indeed. Certainly the W204 is the best saloon car I have owned.

I was quite keen on tenorite grey, but now I've noticed a lot of cars in a similar shade of grey although most don't seem very metallic... quite annoying as the dealers only seem to have black..

abzthemanc said:
I was quite keen on tenorite grey, but now I've noticed a lot of cars in a similar shade of grey although most don't seem very metallic... quite annoying as the dealers only seem to have black..

I have ordered a diesel but if I didn't do the mileage I'd prefer petrol especially the 250 petrol if they ever release it in the uk. Colour wise I was going to go with black (most of my cars have been black :) ) but when I saw some in the flesh I preferred the diamond silver and that's what I have gone for.

I have ordered a diesel but if I didn't do the mileage I'd prefer petrol especially the 250 petrol if they ever release it in the uk. Colour wise I was going to go with black (most of my cars have been black :) ) but when I saw some in the flesh I preferred the diamond silver and that's what I have gone for.

250 would be nice! As 200 is the only available right now, I'm still considering it.. has anyone test drove both that and the 220 diesel? Thoughts?

We've test driven both petrol and diesel/ We had a great drive in the diesel at a country dealer, but the petrol one was with a London dealer who lived up to our expectations of their generosity of spirit. We possibly touched 40. Impressions are that they are indistinguishably once on the move, but the noise is very different going slowly. We only do 8k per annum currently so we've ordered a Petrol. (Break even is 5 years) This will be the first 4 cylinder I've bought since 1970. sadly 6 cylinders seem to be out of fashion. I loved the V6 in my c280 but it only did 25 mpg, so I suppose I'll have to compromise.

currently a Honda owner, and previously was BMW.

Hi, you don't live in M15 do you? There's a chap near me who was previously a 3 series owner, then got a 1 series briefly, then a Honda Civic.

Just wondered if that's you... :eek:

Like most British importers with an eye to the company/leasing market Mercedes like to offer you the following choice in petrol engines-
Either some small capacity direct injection "tweaked to bu**ery " engine or alternatively a fuel gulping twin turbo V6/V8.
The concept of refinement and longevity afforded by a large capacity multicylinder petrol engine in reasonably relaxed state of tune appears to have eluded them.:doh: Never mind there's a straight six [ finally] in the offing.:thumb:

Palladium Silver is quite a lot lighter than Tenorite Grey. I had a W204 in Tenorite and it looked fantastic in the sun with the chrome accents on the car, and I'd suggest that a W205 AMG Sport will look similarly impressive as it too has a number of chrome highlights.

Regarding the petrol vs. diesel debate, it really will depend upon your expected annual mileage, BIK marginal tax rate and how long you're going to have the car. The price differential twixt diesel and unleaded is considerably lower than it was 18 months ago, but could easily widen again especially as various groups are already making noises about relative NOx levels and particulates which could easily encourage HMG to move the goalposts again regarding tax rates.

Personally, unless your use case gives a substantial saving by going diesel rather than petrol, I'd probably be inclined to plump for the petrol engine as costs are likely to be less sensitive to a political whim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom