Keep A-Class or Buy BMW 2 Active Tourer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spinaltap

Car
A180 Avantgarde (2009) A180 Avantgarde (2012)
The Agility contract on my wife's W169 A-Class (our second in succession) ends in March 2015.

She doesn't like the new A-Class or the new B-Class.

She could select the cost-to-buy option and keep the W169.

Alternatively, the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer looks and feels like what Mercedes should have produced as the W169's natural successor - and then some.

However, not having previously owned BMW, what are others' real-world experience of buying and owning this marque?

Have you been content in changing to BMW, or do you regret parting with your Mercedes?

Last edited:
Imo the w169 is a very dated, boring vechicle too look at and drive so I wouldn't want to buy it but I guess it's down to personal preference. I would take the new A model on looks alone, my sister has one and I liked it.

I've had various BMW cars in the past, performance M cars included and always find my way back in a merc, for me Mercedes is just that bit more special, each to their own I suppose.

The newer BMW like mercedes are packed with all sorts of gadgets, I found the BMW to be more of a drivers car particular the M models, but as I don't drift roundabouts I don't see the need, I'm quite happy wafting along.. Not a fan on the active tourer 2 series either so apologies for the negative feedback, I'm just being honest.

Last edited:
When I first saw that 2 series tourer my first thought was that it was a B Class clone.

When I first saw that 2 series tourer my first thought was that it was a B Class clone.

Yes, those were my thoughts as well. I have no idea how good a car it is though. On the other hand, my daughter has had a W169 for three years now and still loves it, ugly duckling though it may be. IMO it's a very practical car.

The 2 series active tourer is front wheel drive, a BMW first, so from a driving perspective I dont think any BMW owner could help you. Drive it and see for yourself.

Re BMWs or MBs, I think we just get used to a certain one and end up preferring it - I do!

The BMW 2 series active tourer shares the same basic drivetrain/ chassis[ stretched ] as the new mini. It can be equiped with electronically variable rate suspension. Reviews favour the 3 cylinder turbo petrol over the diesel for refinement if not out and out torque.

[YOUTUBE HD]a8NqQvDnQh8[/YOUTUBE HD]

Last edited:
So its an even taller stretched Mini, than the tallest stretchiest they have at the mo. I might have a look at some stage but my interest has now dissipated given that very useful information. Thanks Graeme.

When I first saw it, I too though, that is how the A Class should have looked first time around.

We test drove the AT last week, very, very nice indeed but then it was the Luxury model with a light leather interior (amazing for a demo car) and it ticked a lot of the boxes the B Class didn't a few months ago when we test drove that ie the ride on the BMW is far better and the gear box (auto) was brilliant, the engine? I'd go for the 3cyl petrol......even the BMW diesel cannot be quietened enough to be so close to the bulkhead (or so it seemed).

One biggy that has stopped us ordering one at the moment....I found the front seat cushions to be far too narrow, and they turned out to be uncomfortable for me on a longer drive, my wife on the other hand loved the car.......but I am the one going to be driving it 90%, so we are awaiting a demo with sports seats in, just in case they are a bit better.

Otherwise a cracking car, definately go try one.

I reckon you should get...

...whatever tickles your fancy :)

We test drove the AT last week, very, very nice indeed but then it was the Luxury model with a light leather interior (amazing for a demo car) and it ticked a lot of the boxes the B Class didn't a few months ago when we test drove that ie the ride on the BMW is far better and the gear box (auto) was brilliant, the engine? I'd go for the 3cyl petrol......even the BMW diesel cannot be quietened enough to be so close to the bulkhead (or so it seemed).

One biggy that has stopped us ordering one at the moment....I found the front seat cushions to be far too narrow, and they turned out to be uncomfortable for me on a longer drive, my wife on the other hand loved the car.......but I am the one going to be driving it 90%, so we are awaiting a demo with sports seats in, just in case they are a bit better.

Otherwise a cracking car, definately go try one.

I've arranged a day's on-loan test for an AT diesel auto Luxury next week. It's one of those cars that looks far better in reality than in looking at photographs. The kicker will be if the front overhang will beach on our steep front drive.

We also had a look, in person, at the i3 - which is almost the very same physical size as our W169. Just for fun we're trying that too, but at nearly £30k (with the range extender)....

Last edited:
We also had a look, in person, at the i3 - which is almost the very same physical size as our W169. Just for fun we're trying that too, but at nearly £30k (with the range extender)....

Interested to hear your views after the drive, as for the i3 we both absolutely loved it, an complete hoot to drive and beautifully designed interior treatment.

We have almost committed twice now to the i3 but with out driving pattern over the next few years (long trips in areas without good charging coverage) we are leaning towards something else in the mean time.

But it'll be an i3 eventually, even if the Tesla X is a far better overall package we love the interior of the i3.........like sitting in the Design Centre in London :D

One biggie is the difference between the two automatic boxes. The MERC is the twin clutch preselect type while the BMW is an 8 speed torque converter type

One biggie is the difference between the two automatic boxes. The MERC is the twin clutch preselect type while the BMW is an 8 speed torque converter type

I thought the A169, if it's an automatic, would have CVT? The new shape has the twin clutch transmission.

We have almost committed twice now to the i3 but with out driving pattern over the next few years (long trips in areas without good charging coverage) we are leaning towards something else in the mean time.

That's why, if we did go for an i3, it would have to include the range extender. That gives 460 miles to the gallon!

While most of our driving is local, occasionally we need to drive to Oxford and back to visit our daughter. That's too far for battery power alone.

There's an interesting What Car blog featuring one of their team's current experience in driving from London to Londonderry in an i3 by battery power alone. He got to within 10 miles of his destination before the petrol engine kicked in.

That's why, if we did go for an i3, it would have to include the range extender. That gives 460 miles to the gallon!

While most of our driving is local, occasionally we need to drive to Oxford and back to visit our daughter. That's too far for battery power alone.

Indeed we have only ever considered the REX version as well, the pure BV is a much too limiting for us.

Even so our daughter lives about 80 miles away (maybe just within range) and the Son 150 miles, so on the limits of the REX without refuelling somehow.

I really wish BMW had given the REX a bigger tank and not limited it to the equivalent of 34bhp when on REX power, too much of a compromise on long journeys I feel.

I really wish BMW had given the REX a bigger tank and not limited it to the equivalent of 34bhp when on REX power, too much of a compromise on long journeys I feel.

I believe that the petrol engine doesn't actually drive the i3, but rather it powers an on-board generator that replenishes the batteries.

Therefore, that lowly-powered petrol engine isn't an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom