Keep the 211 or replace with w212?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m2mb

SUPPORTER
Car
E220 CDI 2008, E220d 2019
Hi guys,
Would appreciate some advice.
My daily w211, owned it for ten happy years, although mainly unproblematic, economical and clean, is starting to show its age at 250.000 miles and I miss that new(er) car feeling I get from my w213. Travelling 80 motorway miles per day as of lately.
I could replace it with a 4 year old w212 e220 with say 100.000 (hopefully motorway) miles on the clock for reasonable money. However Is this a good idea? Giving up an older but well maintained w211 for a newer w212 even one with fsh. (Haven't found one yet)
I suppose the engines are quite similar since the w211 has the latest (for the 211) iteration (168bhp) of the 2.1lt diesel but otherwise I have no idea what to expect with a w212. (Is the newer gearbox as reliable as the 5speed auto in the 211?).
The w211 has no DPF either (manufactured just before the cutoff date). I almost consider it a classic!!
I don't really need any extras/ navi/ etc that would probably come with a w212.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Having had both, I'd stick with a well-maintained 211, but really down to personal preference.

FWIW I've never driven a W211 in any guise but I've owned a 2011 W212 E350 CDi (265bhp version) for six and a half years. It's great. For the last five and a bit years I've had a 52 mile round trip commute including a decent motorway stint. Mechanically it's never let me down, 7-speed box is smooth. It's well put together, no rattles. Just over 88k on the clock and with careful driving including a steady pace on the M6 I regularly get 50+ mpg. However, it can shift when encouraged......

Mine has a full history though I used a respected local indy.

Because your W211 isn’t worth anything , I would run it to the first expensive failure . Start stockpiling some money now for the newer car .
Agreed. But what is expensive? Say 10% depreciation on a decent newer car, amounts to 1000, my estimate. Any repair on the 211 below that amount should be acceptable? (Not that I expect it).
Did a fair amount of maintenance on the 211 including rear shocks, new ac compressor and ac pipes prof.cleaning, in last 2 years.

However this is not about cost. (below a certain amount, cost is irrelevant)
If a newer 212 will be more enjoyable and at least as reliable, then the 211 will go.

Agreed. But what is expensive? Say 10% depreciation on a decent newer car, amounts to 1000, my estimate. Any repair on the 211 below that amount should be acceptable? (Not that I expect it).
Did a fair amount of maintenance on the 211 including rear shocks, new ac compressor and ac pipes prof.cleaning, in last 2 years.
That’s a good question buddy , I grapple with it as well . If you find the answer let me know ;)

W1ghty, the answer can be estimated quite easily if you know how often you would probably need a need a replacement and at what cost VS maintaining existing car that has near zero resale value. (Std financial management topic: lease vs buy).
In non financial terms however, if the saving you make by maintaining current car (vs depreciation on a newer car) exceeds (in your mind) what you forego ie the toys and comfort (not forgetting the environment too) of a new asset, then keep maintaining.
I guess for me, the vote goes to a new car.

Expensive is difficult to figure.

As an example if a newer car depreciates at £1000/year more than your W211 then that's a notional £1000 allowance against maintenance over and above the maintenance on a newer car.

The difficult part is whether you anticipate that having spent a given sum on the car that you could be hit with other bills. So a repair bill of £750 in a year against that £1000 is 'OK' except that if you get another £500 bill a few months after then you just stated eating into next year's £1000, (or whatever).

I have a colleague who kept an old car going and he treats his car as a monthly cost. He figured that any repair had to last 6 months and if it cost more than 6 months payments on the car he was planning to replace it with then he would scrap it. In effect he would only pay for a repair up to a cost limit if he thought the car would run for another 6 months without more unplanned work - so capping the risk.

To me, acceptable is 10% of a 10% depreciation on a brand new car. I.e 400-500 annually.
However, 'i was there, done that' for the past few years.
A renewal is in order.
212 vs 211 ...cost no object.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom